Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

@ChattaChia Seems like California would be on his list due to earthquakes. :slight_smile:

@ChattaChia Funny but scarily true lol. My D wanted to apply to Tufts because she loved Jumbo.

@CADREAMIN haha, he hasn’t thought of that, but yes. I’ve not encouraged CA due to distance.

This is a great post!! My D did not want to apply to any school in the San Diego area because of the way Sea World treats their whales as depicted in the Black Fish documentary. She feels everyone in the San Diego area is guilty by association. She also did not want to apply to Cal Poly SLO because her older sister went there and she did not want to be a “copycat”. Sigh

@Chumom - Even though the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park have all sorts of conservation and wildlife protection programs? I can assure her that 95% of the people at Sea World on any given day are out-of-town tourists.

You are right. I agree. But the thread is labeled stupidest reason child won’t look at a college.

My D refused to consider a school because someone she didn’t like had applied and been accepted ED. The girl lasted half of one semester and then came home so my D would never have seen her.

D18 can’t attend a college called Harvey Mudd. “What is up with that name?”

^ if you say it fast and goofy, it can sound like Harvard in a weird dialect.

D18 doesn’t want to even apply to one elite school because she knows “the type of people that went there from her school”.

@sushiritto

Oy, that is a terrible reason for a qualified student to not attend HMC. Ouch!

“Harvard Med”

That’s right, DavidPuddy. :slight_smile:

@sushiritto - I agree it’s a “funny” name, but as for “what is up” with it
It’s simply named after someone. (Interesting name, but not a terribly interesting reason for the name.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Seeley_Mudd

Oh, I get it. She does too. :slight_smile:

She doesn’t appear to be the LAC-type, but if she was, then she would have to apply to one or more of the other 4 in the consortium. Well, maybe not Pitzer either. :))

As the title states, “stupidest reason.”

Even though the people I know who went there are top-notch, whenever I hear “Harvey Mudd”, I instinctively think of the doctor that set the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth after the latter shot Abraham Lincoln. Kind of like going to a school called, “Benedict Arnold College.”

^^^It always makes me think of Harry Mudd from the original Star Trek series. I’ve shown my age :slight_smile:

Tribbles! I’ve shown mine.

Harcourt Fenton Mudd!

“It’s all Uggs and North Face jackets.” (She owns two pairs of Uggs but apparently only because she’s exceptionally cold. And not the brown ones.)