Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

My oldest went there for 4 years and he never heard anyone say Amherst with a silent h. Must be some Brit rule.

Have lived in MA for 30+ years. Never heard of anyone calling Amherst with a silent h, either. We do pronounce several names a bit “odd”. I work in Woostah.

My parents, from the Boston area but lived in Am’erst when father went to UMass, never ever ever say ‘hurst’. They have pretty think Bostonian accents. Am’erst.

We lived near Wissta for a while.

D1 wouldn’t consider Seattle schools because everyone was wearing scruffy jeans and North Face jackets. Actually googled “do people dress nicer in Chicago than Seattle” while we were still there. Did score a raft of designer jeans at a consignment store. Freshman move in, and then switch to ratty.

I live in MA, never heard anyone say Amherst without pronouncing the h. However, I do live in Eastern MA so I can’t speak for those in Western MA but my friends there say it with an h.

My MA born mother calls Worchester, Wister. Is that correct? I think people call it Wooster. I’m confused. As for Amherst, I always pronounce the H, but I wasn’t born in MA.

My D won’t visit let alone apply to Virginia Tech because of three neighbors who hang VT flags in their yards the entire college football season, and have those VT windshield flags sticking out of their cars on every game day.

I’m from the eastern part of MA and we always have pronounced the H in Amherst. The letter R gets dropped and added depending on the situation though.

Regarding the Virginia Tech flags, I have one daughter who would agree with your d, and one who would apply for that very reason.

Pronunciations: “Wuhstah” and “Amerst”

Maybe it’s a Mid-Atlantic thing on Am’erst. I 'm from Philly area and know multiple generations of alum, and no one pronounces it “AmHurst,” only “Am-erst.”

Similar to peculiarities of Swarthmore, which in our area is pronounced “Swathmore”, no “r” in “Swarth.”

@bclintonk Everyone in Boston knows how to pronounce Bowdoin Square and the Bowdoin subway station.

@Midwestmomofboys - the fact you’re from the Philly area explains it. I lived there for a few years and they pronounce a ton of words weird, like “wooder” instead of “water” :wink:

@Midwestmomofboys agree! Grew up near Swarthmore and have only heard the college admins say Swarthmore with an “r”. People who live around there say it without the “r”.

1 Like

Let’s get back to dumb reasons kids use not to look at colleges!

So my kid doesn’t want to apply to Northeastern University because it’s too much like Northwestern, and he already wants to apply to Northwestern.

On the other hand, as a non-stupid reason, he was turned off of Harvard, because A, the guide was way to full of himself, and B, every time my kid asked about any programs (besides business, which interests him not), especially arts or writing, the guide would say a couple of words on the topic, and then go off on “but our BUSINESS school, blah, blah, business, blah, blah, blah
”

Similar to the “Amherst-Amerst” thing, when D was applying to Mt. Holyoke, some pronounced it “Haul-yoke”, as opposed to “Holy-oak”. Different strokes, I guess.

DD took Hamilton off list—too many people with pink or purple hair.

From Amherst website:

Amherst faculty, staff, administrators, students, and alums universally pronounce it with a silent “h.” But definitely many people in Boston call it 'Am-hurst," but with that curiously disappearing Boston “r.” (Of course, everyone’s heard of “Pahk the cah in Hahvud Yahd,” but my favorite is a sign I once saw at a movie theater concession stand in Cambridge, mockingly advertising “Hot budded puppcon.”)

My daughters had no use for Amherst with or without the “h,” partly because they thought the tour guides were a bit too full of themselves, and partly because the school is named after an 18th century British military commander, Lord Jeffrey Amherst, who openly advocated genocide of Native Americans, including poisoning them with smallpox-infested blankets. And at the time their sports teams were even called the “Lord Jeffs,” a name they subsequently dropped. I don’t think I’d classify that as a “stupid reason.” Others might.

1 Like

It must be an Amherst College thingy then, as I don’t think many people from UMass call their city with the silent h.