Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

@eb23282 I agree with your nephew and in my opinion that reason isn’t stupid.

@eb23282 Arcadia University/Beaver College was originally located in Beaver County, PA.

I’m a Badger forever. School pride in the academics, regardless of how the various sports teams do.

Regarding beer- eons ago when the legal age for beer was 18 in WI and 21 in Illinois there was a lot of border crossing.

Gettysburg College.

They have pond on campus and while driving around looking at the various facilities she saw two boys (not sure if they were students or not) carrying fishing rods. She said that is weird and I’m not going here. Okay.

Hmmm. Local legend, in Glenside , PA, was that Beaver College began as one large home. The husband built the house next door for his wife. Growing up, it was a beautiful,piece of property. I haven’t been back to see the growth of the campus.

I have in my jewelry box a lovely, almost 100 year old field hockey pin with “Beaver” inscribed on it from when my grandmother attended the college!

Oh, ew on the Penn State bit. Excellent reason to reject a school, IMHO. And my son would not have been able to get off that campus fast enough.

@samsondale my D19 was the same - “I just don’t think I can picture myself going to a school named ‘Tufts.’” Huh, OK. Maybe she was imagining “tufts” of hair or something?

^ My D1 thought “Tufts” sounded like a brand of toilet paper. Never made the list.

I cringe at that WE ARE business. I’m glad my daughter went to big football school in the south.

Drove to Williams; d said “It looks too ‘Ethan Frome.’” We drove away.

I heard this one recently: "Every time I see ‘Bowdoin’ my mind turns it into “bedouin.’ Bedouin College. No thanks.”

I don’t know why she doesn’t like the name … but I don’t understand the vast majority of what my kids say.

When I see the name Bowdoin, the first thing I think of is a local San Francsico sourdough bread company called Boudin Bakery. Great sourdough bread BTW.

Boudin Bakery - True that!

My D took Bowdoin off her Naviance list because she had no idea how to pronounce it.
Same with Rensselaer.
I still don’t know.

Friend’s son said he could never apply to Ursinus becuase the name reminded him of a sinus infection

“Boe-din”

:slight_smile:

Bowdoin is like a password to a secret society: only those in the know about elite Northeastern liberal arts colleges know how to pronounce it.

same could be said about Amherst . . . the “h” is silent.