Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

^^^ that’s what makes the world go ‘round! ?.

I love reading about both ends of the same spectrum. “Kid hates sports and can’t figure why anyone would go to a school that has school spirit and bigtime sports” versus “Kid loves spots and can’t imagine what there could possibly be to do at a school with no spirit or bigtime sports”. Of course, they are both right.

My D20 was mentioning an interest in Wake Forest to her sister who is a college freshman. D18 told her quite seriously to consider how “disturbing”" the Demon Deacon mascot is and also how creepy the WF Font is on a hoodie.

How’s this for stupid:

There was an episode of Veep where Selina says, “American University? Sounds like a made up college in Egypt.”

Daughter said “wow, it really does” and took it off the list. Oh well, she had too many on her list anyway.

LOL @PetraMC ! I have to say, my D felt the same way about the AU name but kept it on her list.

So here is my vent. We are in Atlanta, and D is quite likely to get into Tech AND she wants to study engineering. But she is adamant that she wants to leave the South and attend school elsewhere - but she won’t explore the West coast (too far), won’t go NE (too cold) and is driving me nuts.

@Memays
I guess that leaves the Midwest?

My DH hated Stanford because he felt an employee at the food court was rude. It is the only thing I’ve heard from him about Stanford – he has told the story numerous times to many people!

@JBSeattle - she’s completely inconsistent. She’s does have Mizzou for Midwest (but only because her sister attends there), but also has somehow reconciled that duke, Vanderbilt, u of Miami and Maryland are not really southern because they aren’t AL, TX, or MS. I’m just SMH.

Ruled out all Catholic schools. And were Catholic.

@Memays Is she looking at Missouri S&T?

Carnegie Mellon - my son refused to apply there because their school color is plaid.

@Nicki20 . My D took a shine to 3 Jesuit schools… and we’re Jewish!!

Love this thread, lots of laughs?. My D refused to look at anything Miami U sent her. “Miami is in Florida, there isn’t even a Miami in OH” She keeps getting mail from them and it annoys her every time.

re 1749. Hmm- maybe YOU are Catholic but kid is evolving or wants to see outside the fold. I was raised Catholic and went to public schools. Gradually drifted away. Not a stupid reason at all. I refused to look at Catholic U’s as well. I bothered with this post because it is a topic dear to my heart and it is an important issue. Love your kid regardless of the path followed over the years. My mom knew before she died that I wasn’t Catholic anymore and my dad did come to our generic wedding after his stunned silence on the phone when I told him it wasn’t going to be a Catholic wedding (my choice).

“Love this thread, lots of laughs. My D refused to look at anything Miami U sent her. “Miami is in Florida, there isn’t even a Miami in OH” She keeps getting mail from them and it annoys her every time.”

LOL. It’s named after the Miami Indians who I believe were still in the area when the university was founded. It was a university about 90 years before the city of Miami was founded.

When my daughter got a few mailings from Miami Ohio she said it was probably some kind of gimmick to trick kids into applying to a school in Ohio!
I looked it up because I was curious and told her about the Native American background.
She shrugged, “Still…it’s kind of a scam”

“Where do you go to school?” Oxford

“Where???” Miami

“WHERE???” Ohio

“I give up!”

Not that unusual, particularly if the kid already attended Catholic schools for 12 years.

It’s still a less stupid reason than ruling out Catholic universities because of the plethora of crosses and crucifixes. :slight_smile:

I think my daughter is under the impression catholic schools are drastically different than non-Catholic schools. By the way she has gone to public schools.