Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

I had to fight certain prejudices of mine that were totally irrational. My kids seemed to hone right in on them even though I never shared that info or was even aware I felt that way in some situations.

Visiting colleges has its pitfalls too. Kids can seize on things that have absolutely nothing to do with how good of a fit a place is. Like the weather a particularly day, construction, a lousy tour guide, just some happenstance thing can strike them the wrong way or the right way.

1 Like

Leaf blowers. Granted they were super loud, ride-on leaf blowers.

Paradoxically, she wants a school with lots of trees.

But often you have half a dozen very good schools and you need SOMETHING to eliminate some of them
I wonder if some of those things are just kind of an excuse or unconscious way to cross them out.

2 Likes

My brother has color aversions when looking at schools. Does not want to wear brown or purple college colors!

1 Like

When I made Lehigh, my brother begged me not do go
hate the color brown! Now I’m at Tufts
he loves blue and wears the swag

Funny, my mom loves elephants and always thought they were lucky. She loves Jumbo. Now that I attend Tufts
she has elephants everywhere.

There was a very bad hockey cheer when Cornell would play Brown
“What’s the color of _____? Brown!”

My D also wasn’t thrilled with that being Lehigh’s color either ; )

(I love this thread. So happy it’s been resurrected.).

2 Likes

It wasn’t just hockey, I heard it at football games.
But the Brown “marching band” came back with a few rousing choruses of “old McDonald had a farm”, so I’d call it a stalemate at best.

Anybody who dislikes brown should remember that the colors of UIUC are burnt orange + navy blue.

1 Like

My daughter went to Wyoming. We love brown and gold.

That’s not “burnt orange.” Texas has burnt orange. I went to UIUC and 25 years later I’m still not a fan of the colors, but our orange is still miles better than Texas’ orange.

My kids’ HS colors are brown and gold and after five years of it, it’s still terrible.

1 Like

Yep! We visited both U Chicago and NW on a brutally cold day and D didn’t like either. I think she was just so desperate to get out of there and get warm.

Tour guides made a huge different for D - I think they were her impression of what a student at the school was like, and when they seemed unfriendly or uninterested it turned her off.

Nobody’s orange is better than Texas’ burnt orange. ?

Virginia Tech’s colors are burnt orange and Chicago maroon.
UVA’s colors are Jefferson blue and Rotunda orange. I like orange!

1 Like

You are right - I confused it with my kid’s high school colors which are burnt orange and navy blue.

Except Tennessee’s orange.

In any event, here’s a neat little graphic with a bunch of the orange schools

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/4/2/21203511/shades-of-orange-draft-which-orange-school-exhibits-the-best-use-of-the-color-syracuse-hex-code

2 Likes

I love this thread, so glad it’s back! Our S19 is a pretty fashionable guy. When he was looking at schools, he wasn’t swayed by bad weather or bad tour guides, but the one thing he did study very carefully was the track team kit.

1 Like

D had all but eliminated a college because while walking around, we popped out on a street with a Round Table Pizza and a Safeway and she just couldn’t imagine herself there because she assumed there wouldn’t be anything to do. Fast forward a year: She is attending the school and LOVES it. Turns out, there’s plenty to do!

1 Like

My child couldn’t forgive Georgia Tech for using the word “y’all” in an admissions mailing.

Kiddo also ruled out JHU because the students on campus were too put together.

1 Like

“I can’t go here- there are way too many people wearing IU gear”

while visiting IU.

2 Likes