Suggest Schools - Rising Senior MT

Hi! I’m auditioning for college this year. I was originally decided to just audition for VP but as MT was always my dream I want to audition for about half and half. These are the MT programs I have right now. I am an alto (character-actress type cast, but can also do dramatic), strong singer and actress, dance… not so much! Anyone who has auditioned for any of these programs that can tell me if any of these auditions weigh dance so heavily or not, that’d be great. Also if you could suggest a few more target programs that don’t weigh dance too heavily (or even some schools that don’t have dance calls lol). I don’t want a BA at all, but BFA or BM is fine. Also planning to double major in journalism, so programs that may let you double major are preferred. Thank you!!!
Baldwin Wallace
Carnegie Mellon
UC Boulder
Emerson
Florida State
SUNY Fredonia
UMich
NYU Steinhardt
Penn State
SUNY Purchase
Southern California (acting only)
Syracuse

Hello! Sounds like you’ll have some very busy months ahead of you, juggling VP and MT audition process, best of luck to you. My older child couldn’t choose between the two, so did a bunch of Jazz vocal and Acting program auditions a few years back - so I’ve seen how much work that can involve! And my younger kid is narrowing down her list (currently at 11) for MT and Acting programs, making selections for prescreen material and so on.

If you’re set on double majoring, you may need to consider some BAs (or BFA with less credits - search the boards and you may find some threads on that topic) instead of BFA/BM programs. The demands of conservatory style education dont usually allow space for double majoring - check program details for the schools you’re interested in.

Here’s a thread on double majoring while pursing MT Musical Theater Majors That Allow Double Majoring

Other things to consider when making your list might include geographic preferences, financial constraints if any, kind of program/training, kind of school environment. You also may want to consider having a few safety (or at least less competitive schools) on your list as well. Looking at the big lists of MT programs ordered by state or program type here at this forum is one potential place to start. Looking up “hidden gems” or “fit schools” in the theater forums here, or just googling underrated or less known theatre programs can provide good leads as well.

Since you’re in NY (I’m assuming based on your name) and have a couple SUNYs on your list, I’ll mention a few more that offer MT - U of Buffalo, Cortland & Binghamton have BFAs. Binghamton’s is the newest and I’m not sure if it’s auditioned or more of an academic admit situation. SUNY Geneseo has an auditioned MT BA and SUNY New Paltz has an auditioned Theater BA (not MT specific but I know they do musicals) These last two could warrant your attention, especially if double majoring is a priority. We’ve visited both and they seem like great places.

On the private school in NY side, Ithaca seems excellent - though that’s also back into the super selective range.

Two other schools I will shout out as of special interest to New Yorkers - Montclair State in NJ and Western Connecticut State in Danbury CT. Montclair is the bigger name in MT but really like what we saw of WCSU as well when taking in a show there earlier this year. Especially appealing on the financial side about both of these public schools is in-state tuition is available for New Yorker theater students.

Btw, SUNY Purchase doesnt offer MT - it’s acting only.

1 Like

Another in-state option for New Yorkers is Nazareth University, Formerly known as Nazareth College, having just received their University status in June, in Rochester. A private school with a beautiful smaller campus. Prescreens required.

Penn State weights dance very heavily, as do Syracuse, FSU and Michigan. I would venture to say that without significant dance training it’s impossible to pass Penn State and very difficult to pass the others (with the exception of Syracuse unless you apply to both MT and Acting due to their actor-singer track). Consider applying to both MT and Acting at all of these schools - separate applications except at Syracuse. Also all four are hard prescreens to pass regardless - just even harder to impossible without a dance background.

As for additional schools, look at Marymount Manhattan, LIU, Rider, Harrt, Western Connecticut, Montclair State, Catholic (it’s a BM), Ball State, Western Michigan and Roosevelt (they have two tracks, one vocal focused).

1 Like

A lot of those are considered “reach” schools (Carnegie Mellon, UMich, BW, Florida State, etc) and they will consider dance very heavily. Most schools will have a dance call, but they will take a mover. I had several students over the years that had zero dance training get really wonderful offers.

In terms of preparing for MT, there is a lot of work that will go into that and often the two do not overlap in terms of material. A few schools (like OCU who has their MT in their department of opera and music) may redirect to VP if they feel that is a better fit.

If MT is your dream, focus on that and see if you can start working with someone to prepare a dance prescreen (even if it is “mover” choreography) and you may be surprised. You will also have to have a dance prescreen filmed to submit to most schools.

If it IS your dream, face the challenge — give it a shot!!