Summer programs for rising 10th grader - interested in medical field

Can you recommend any 1-2 week summer programs in the Northeast, for a rising 10th grader who is interested in medicine? Unsure of path yet: RN/APRN, PA, MD, etc. Any programs that might help rule-in or rule-out a medical career are welcome. The ideal program would be located in the Northeast and run in August.

We are not looking for competitive admission programs as I’m sure that ship has sailed, being it’s already March and student is only a freshman.

TIA for any suggestions!

Look at programs local hospitals and medical schools may offer. They may not be residential camps for the two weeks, but my D did one locally around that age that was excellent and they observed nearly every job in the hospital and did labs each day. They were issued scrubs and it really gave they an excellent understanding of the pathways to different careers.

It also gave them info to apply for paid jobs. I know several in high school who would do OR and imaging transport who were former participants.

Obviously Covid has taken the steam out of some of these local programs but it is worth looking.

1 Like

More than two weeks - but the ultimate test of their commitment: Check the local ambulance corps regarding becoming an EMT. The summer course would be an intense couple of weeks, but besides covering anatomy, and the hands-on patient tasks, it will also deal with liability, state regulatory/reporting requirements, patient rights – all those “mundane” things that will be a good portion of someone’s time but won’t be covered in TV dramas.

Then they’ll likely have to volunteer a day a week - and find out that on many “calls” they won’t be little more than a glorified Taxi, of course interspersed with the occasional “all-in” scenarios.

The good thing is, if it deepens their commitment/interest, they’ll have a great knowledge and experience base that will be a plus on applications. And if it doesn’t, then they’ll have found out before stepping foot into college.

Excellent idea! Unfortunately, my student will not meet the age minimum requirement for summer EMT classes in our area this year. Definitely a great idea for next summer.

Naturally, I would not at all “force” the issue and let your student be the driving factor.
In the case of our town and my daughter, it was normal for younger high schoolers to be accepted as “Junior” members to the Ambulance Corps and afforded the opportunity to “ride along” on a weekly schedule. (It also helped the Corps to be sure that their later investment into EMT courses/licensing would go to people already having shown persistence).

This way, they were able to take their BLS courses, become familiar with the rigs and procedures, were able to observe, take notes, gather medication lists during calls, collect strewn-out equipment at the site, or from the emergency room - and be hands-on with de-contaminating/preparing/restocking the rigs after each call.

Not to speak of the excitement of having been part of “lights & siren” action, and relaying these experiences to their peers.

Of course, discretion was applied when deciding if certain calls were unsuitable for younger members. My daughter had spent almost a year riding along as a Junior, so by the time she obtained her EMT-license she was almost instantly put into full service, as she effectively had long undergone any “probationary” period and was already fully aware of procedures, policies and state laws.