Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>I just merged in another old thread that got revived today. This can be the one-stop-shopping thread for the issue of how much, if at all, summer program participation influences college admission chances.</p>

<p>what about TASP?</p>

1 Like

<p>the classes, atleast the ones i took, at CTY are actually fairly rigourous. Is the Cornell Nano programs THAT competitve? I saw earlier in the thread that someone said 7 out of 650 got accepted? Wow thats a 1% acceptence rate. Is this correct?</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the Cornell Summer Program takes incoming sophmores?
(Im a freshman right now)</p>

<p>I am not sure about cornell, but I know Brown does accept rising sophomores into their short term courses (2 weeks to 4 weeks). They have lots to choose from.</p>

1 Like

<p>Yeah I know, I've alrady filled out the application for the Intro to Finanical Markets Mini Course. I'd also like to look into the Cornell one though, seeing as it gives credits, and I might as well get credits over no credits if I'm doing the same amount of work.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm not minority so LEAD is outta the question.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I went to lead and this is the ethnic breakdown of our group</p>

<p>White-5
Asian-3
Hispanic- 4
Black- 18</p>

<p>You can go if you're white, it doesn't make a difference. The one thing i've found is that white people get in, but many don't apply because they "don't want to be around only black people for three weeks"</p>

<p>Its a great program and don't let race stop you from going.</p>

<p>Oh its not stopping me from going, at all. I live in an extremely diverse town.
I just feel like Im at a disadvantage.</p>

<p>Well, just let me tell you that you're not. Being female helps too. As long as you have the stats race doesn't matter the least bit.</p>

<p>You are mistaken. My son did the summer program at Harvard and received 8 college credits. My daughter's friend went to Brown for the summer and received 0 credits.</p>

<p>I"m mistaken about what?</p>

<p>I am responding to an earlier thread that said Harvard summer school is a non-credit program. It, in fact, is a for credit program that is quite rigorous. My son took 2 courses, both taught by professors. He was required to write 4 12 page papers. I would say that's not a slouch summer.</p>

<p>Cornell does not take rising sophomores. When it says "sophomores", it means grade that you just completed. My d went as a rising junior and was not allowed to take Psychology, which was for "juniors and seniors."</p>

1 Like

<p>i know of two amazing programs that are absolutely free and they actually pay u!</p>

<p>one program, my sister did can be a 2-3 yr summer program (depends if u start the summer after ur soph year or junior). the first summer like like A three week program then the following yr its a 7 wekk program- all FREE! tuition books, housing, all free! and they pay u! its the university of illinois RAP program (research apprentice program) the website is Pre-Collegiate</a> Program, RAP II: Academic Programs | College of ACES anyone can apply.</p>

<p>another progam i did, is a week long free program at the university of colorado- The Business Leadership Program. Its a really intensive program, its really fun, and there is money involved- scholarships! <a href="http://leeds.colorado.edu/diversity/interior.aspx?id=255,267,527,581,582%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://leeds.colorado.edu/diversity/interior.aspx?id=255,267,527,581,582&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>i also attended the Phillips Exeter Summer Program and that was truly amazing and great fun. there are so many international kids and it really was the best summer ever. The program is expensive-its five weeks long and there are many sports such as rowing,, but remember there is financial aid. the program costs like 6500 but i ended up paying only 500 for the whole summer,,, 100 dollars a week !!</p>

<p>It can basically be inferred that anything free and well known with a low acceptance rate looks good.</p>

<p>Anything you have to pay for isn't really going to help, simply because it's easy to get in.</p>

<p>^ That's not true. The world revolves often around money - taking college classes is helpful because it shows you can do college level work, but no one with a shred of a brain cell can think that taking college classes wont cost you thousands upon thousands of dollars, unless you're taking it at a in-state school. Getting an A in that class shows that you can excel in college.</p>

<p>anyone thinking about summer @ brown?</p>

<p>
[quote]
The world revolves often around money

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This shows a grave misunderstanding of the topic of this thread, which is what summer programs are especially impressive as an element of a college application. </p>

<p>Hint: the free programs with specialized admission requirements are MUCH more impressive.</p>

<p>I went to MITES for the summer of 2007. The deadline for us was feb 2, so I would assume that the deadline for this year is around the same time. It's is completely free!! You get a grant that adds up to about $6,000 when you go there. They provide dinner for you sun-thurs, but for other food you have a $70 meal card that recharges every sunday night. You can't take left over money off of it, but there's a grocery store on campus and it was all-but a MITES ritual to visit La Verde's every sunday night to spend what was left. </p>

<p>MITES is amazingly fun, but it is NOT a JOKE! Be prepared to work. If you don't see some sunrises while you are still doing your homework, than you must have just quit. The program is targeted for minorities, but it doesn't hurt to apply. It looks REALLY good on apps and I know from experience that just about every college admissions essay can be shaped around MITES. At the end of the program you get evaluations that you can send out to other schools. It's a tough, tough place to be, but in the end it will all be worth it. However, it does NOT guarantee admission into MIT, but the majority of MITES students who apply do get in.</p>

<p>While the free programs may be "much more impressive" and it's great to try for them if they fit your interests (most of them are science-based, which lets out a great number of kids), the college-based programs that offer college credit are also worthwhile, even if you have to pay for them. (After all, a Harvard degree isn't worthless, even though most people have to pay for it!)</p>