Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>I disagree that stuff like RSI helps.</p>

<p>If you're good enough to get into RSI, you don't need RSI to get into MIT. If you weren't good enough to get into RSI, even if you snuck in some other way, you probally still aren't good enough to get into MIT. RSI doesn't help either way - its just a fun experience for people who are gods of science. </p>

<p>Same w/ all other summer programs. Harvard SSP can be more valuable than RSI if aimed/positioned correctly as a contiuation of interests. A Poli-sci major going to RSI rather than studying politics @ Harvard SSP wouldn't really get any boost in admissions, sorry.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you're good enough to get into RSI, you don't need RSI to get into MIT. If you weren't good enough to get into RSI, even if you snuck in some other way, you probally still aren't good enough to get into MIT. RSI doesn't help either way - its just a fun experience for people who are gods of science.

[/quote]
you can't really "sneak in" somehow--something must have stood out. they reject even the most amazing people who are 10x qualified to go to caltech/MIT! or even 100x.. how lucky must you be to "sneak in" but be unqualified?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Harvard SSP can be more valuable than RSI if aimed/positioned correctly as a contiuation of interests.

[/quote]
definitely not valuable in the college admissions sense</p>

<p>
[quote]
A Poli-sci major going to RSI rather than studying politics @ Harvard SSP wouldn't really get any boost in admissions, sorry.

[/quote]
if that poli-sci major was not science oriented at all why would he be beast enough to be in the top 6% of all applicants for a program that is more SELF-selective than MIT or Caltech? (except for the ppl who apply just to get rejected, anyone serious about applying to RSI is probably going to get into MIT...even if he doesn't get into RSI)</p>

<p>How is Harvard SSP Not valuable? It CERTAINLY is valuable - getting good grades in college classes is better than AP Classes, because it shows both determination to learn and the ability.</p>

<p>It's not as valuable as RSI def., but both aren't big anyway, but both aren't nothing either. Those non-credit summer programs are useless because they are simply wastes of time, without exception, but taking college classes is, well, taking college classes. Thus Harvard SSP, as with most other actual credit classes at colleges (not those stupid high school programs that simply waste time and money) show one to be able to excel at rigorous academic settings.</p>

<p>That stuff about "to be good on apps it must not cost money" is a stupid statement that is easily invalidated by a shred of thought.</p>

<p>why is CREDIT so important?</p>

<p>
[quote]
That stuff about "to be good on apps it must not cost money" is a stupid statement that is easily invalidated by a shred of thought.

[/quote]
okay how about this. to be good on apps the program must not be OUT TO MAKE MONEY.
i know SSP is $3000 but it's not out to make money, in fact it spends like $7000 on each student and has to get its money from donations</p>

<p>oh and GOOD programs have government funding/donations from alumni or affiliated college etc.</p>

<p>Does anyone out there know of any good writing camps?
I have given up on my kid doing science, she is obsessed with FanFiction.Net</a> - Unleash Your Imagination and spends every waking minute when not in school or begrudgingly doing homework on this website, inventing endings for her favorite novels.<br>
She got SAT
critical reading 800, 700 math, 670 writing
in March 2007 as a 10th grader, but after fanfiction took over her life in May 2007, then on the October 2007 PSAT she got
75 in writing, 72 in crit. read and 68 in math.
(she made National Merit semi-finalist for our state handily)<br>
She is a slug unless it's about writing fiction.
So while i see a lot about science summer programs and even engineering/computer science, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WRITING SUMMER PROGRAM?
She is a junior this year.</p>

<p>Here's one:
Walnut</a> Hill
I've only heard good things about it. Walnut Hill also has a musical theater and a dance summer program, so she'd be immersed in the arts.</p>

<p>There may be a writing program at Middlebury (Bread Loaf is well known) or the schools known for
strong Journalism departments. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Bryn Mawr has a summer writing program.</p>

<p>Has anyone done mini courses at Brown?</p>

<p>I am applying for the Columbia University Summer Program, do you think it is worthwhile? It is about $4000.. are there any better programs that are a little cheaper?</p>

<p>I am applying for both RIS and the MIT women's technology program. I don't know if i'll get accepted to either, and I guess there's even less chance for both. But if I do get both, do I decide by what seems a better fit (WT) or by status (RIS)? I'm strong in math and science, and until I saw WTP i never even thought about engineering. Just thought about majoring in math and then going to med school to be a psychiatrist. Also it looks like RIS is a longer than a summer commitment... does anyone know how RIS directly helps you in the future? And I assume that would mean I should return the help later- what kinds of things are we talking about? Peace Corps type stuff or allowing them to track my career or what??????</p>

<p>What highly regarded summer programs actually teach you, and, among other things, improve your app?</p>

<p>For example, how do programs such as Junior Statesman Association's programs at G-Town etc. stack up against similar programs?</p>

<p>There is a CC forum specifically about Summer Programs, and at the top of it is a sticky thread that discusses this exact topic.</p>

<p>Nobody has been able to testify to the existence of a comparison among summer programs. Its all about how it fills out your profile.</p>

<p>If you want to show that your strong in politics then do the junior statesman, if you want to show strength in science do RSI.</p>

<p>MODERATOR'S NOTE to "Highly Regarded Summer Programs?" thread: </p>

<p>I'll merge this into the featured thread on the Summer Programs Forum, with a redirect.</p>

<p>So taking classes such as multivariable calculus and linear algebra isnt that helpful?</p>

<p>(Sorry, i don't know much about these things.)</p>

<p>Anyone know of some good Computer Science camps or programs for juniors? Preferably ones that aren't immersed in the hard sciences but rather surrounded by liberal arts programs as well. But really, any will do.</p>

<p>Not sure wherre you live but the summer programs at Stevens Tech look interesting.
<a href="http://www.stevens.edu/undergrad/summer/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.stevens.edu/undergrad/summer/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thank you for the help. I actually live in Alabama so the no-housing policy there would be a problem. Also, I hear that programs you have to pay for usually don't look good to colleges?</p>

<p>Where has anyone actually read that particular summer programs are used by colleges to choose among students? There may be a correlational relationship to getting in and being a great university down the road, but its not causal, its simply SAT related in both cases.</p>

<p>What they are looking for students to do something <em>meaningful</em> in the summer, as in meaningful and with purpose as it relates to who students are, and what they are passionate about. They are looking for applicants to be distinct, who look INTERESTING, who have their OWN MIND. I haven't seen any adcom ever that says "hey, we are really looking for that kid who deliberately chose his summer programs to impress us..." </p>

<p>And why would you all want to look the same anyway? Why not do something really different and set yourself apart? </p>

<p>I am a professor. I got my PhD at the best school in my field. I've taught at top 10s for 18 years. I give the same advice to my kids, who would not be worrying about the most 'prestigious' camp that looks good to an adcom. Just like they wouldn't choose ECs on that basis either. Instead, they follow what they are passionate about, discover themselves in the process, and have FUN in the summer. They aren't workaholics (they work hard enough during the school term), but they have developed great character. I have complete confidence in their future university choices. </p>

<p>And I have complete confidence that you could and should do the same thing. Stop already with the gaming and competition, and everything-focused-on-one-goal-only. You simply can not and should not attempt to control every little probability in the future (especially ones you really can not control). </p>

<p>Find yourself, be yourself, enjoy yourself.</p>