Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>^so Harvard SSP isn't very selective?</p>

<p>it's not. i don't think anyone gets rejected</p>

<p>Does anyone know when the deadline for submitting discover JHU Summer Program applications are?</p>

<p>And on their discovering John Hopkins program, does anyone here know if being slightly under 15(1-2 months) will do any harm?</p>

1 Like

<p>^ Ask the JHU Summer Program coordinators yourself. ^^; Quickest way.</p>

<p>^^regarding SSP, yes people do get rejected, i know people who have. </p>

<p>But since admissions are rolling and there aren't as many applicants, they can accept everybody who is qualified. And I think it was Yale that said they estimated about "70% of the applicant pool is qualified to handle the work load", so it would make sense that since only driven people who believe they are qualified apply to these programs, they would have an admit rate at around 70%, maybe a little higher if the pool is more self-selected.</p>

<p>Yes, Cornell pre-college summer programs accept rising sophomores and have limited course selection but for college credit.</p>

<p>If you get into a summer program at a school they say you have a better chance than someone who hasn't, but not by much.</p>

<p>Not for ivies or top competitive schools -- in fact, if you read their material they specifically state that admission and/or participation in the summer program will have no impact on admission to their college. Keep in mind that some summer programs held at schools are not even associated with that particular school, but rather they are run by an outside organization.</p>

<p>Hey, does anyone know how the governors schools are? Do you actually learn and is it fun? Also does it look good on a college app?</p>

<p>I'm a rising sophomore and I'm looking for some lab experience this summer through a summer program. I've looked at SSTP in Florida, SSI in Alabama, and SSI in Wisconsin. Are these good? Is there some free time or are they all really structured? Are they worth the summer?</p>

<p>*correction, i'm a rising junior.</p>

<p>Sorry, it was late last night...</p>

<p>
[quote]
in fact, if you read their material they specifically state that admission and/or participation in the summer program will have no impact on admission to their college.

[/quote]
so does the packet for RSI btw</p>

<p>does anyone know anything about JSA programs?</p>

<p>The JSA programs look like fun, I do not know about selectivity, though. I doubt I'll apply for the summer schools, but if I would, the one at Princeton looks most appealing (I'd do macroecon. at Stanford, but it's way too far), as does the first one at Georgetown. I'm definitley going to apply for the DNC though; regardless of one's political affiliation, one cannot deny how uber-extremely awesome the convention be.</p>

<p>I went to the JSA in Yale back in 2006. I knew a couple of people who got reject from my school, and I was the only one that got in. They're pretty selective. If you do apply, try to apply to Princeton or Yale because you get to tour the UN. Georgetown's program is less academics and more politics, if you know what I mean.</p>

<p>Personally, I thought Governor's School (international studies) was a great experience and added significantly to my application. In PA, it's pretty competitive and completely free.</p>

<p>as a two year student at Harvard's secondary school program, i would really urge everyone to apply and attend. while its impact on my college admission decisions is not clear (although i didn't apply to Harvard anyway) the experience changed my life. It gave me valuable insight into what i wanted in a college, and now that I spent the summer after my sophomore and junior years at an 8 week program, i will be starting with 16 college credits + AP's. </p>

<p>Harvard's program is totally different from most others (especially after junior year in high school) for many reasons.</p>

<p>1) the location - you couldn't ask for a better location - boston in the summer! beautiful and great access to downtown boston. I would say i was in the city with my friends about three or four times a week on average</p>

<p>2) the people - while you might think that this program only attracts strange people (because after all those who would <em>Gasp</em> spend their summers learning must be weird) but they were some of the most wonderful people i have met so far. Diversity at the program is another huge plus - my second year, my roommates were from Germany, Pakistan, and Montreal. I was a little worried at first since I'm jewish lol but they turned out to be the best friends i had all summer.</p>

<p>3) experience college for what it truly is - the program gives students total freedom (curfews for rising juniors only) and RA's are regular harvard students. it was a total change going from constant 24/7 monitoring by my parents to literally zero surveillance - truly the college experience. Parents may be scared by this, but the area around harvard (and the campus itself) is totally safe due to a large police presence in and around harvard square all the time.</p>

<p>4) classes - class is only about 10 hours per week (maybe 12). most summer programs other than harvard are shorter than 8 weeks however they have class 25-35 hours per week. this severely limits your free time to explore and enjoy your summer. also, other programs have designated activities and times that you must do things. college isn't about structure - which is why the "free" system is much more realistic for the future.</p>

<p>5) weekends - harvard has tons of fun trips on weekends, however they are OPTIONAL. honestly staying on campus (and exploring boston) was usually more fun than planned trips however some liked them a lot.</p>

<p>6) you get to spend the summer at HARVARD!</p>

<p>Having been an SSP student for the last two years, i can honestly say this program changed my life. I only hope that you (or your children) can experience the same.</p>

<p>If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me with questions. i have friends that went to other places as well, so i have a good basis for comparison with Cornell, JHU, carnegie Mellon, Yale, Penn, etc.</p>

<p>Two things:</p>

<p>What's better, PROMYS of Ross?</p>

<p>And where does SUMaC rank among them?</p>

<p>PROMYS and Ross are very similar, because PROMYS was founded by alumni of Ross and uses the same number theory problem sets. Ross is longer, and has less built-in recreational activity, and thus is considered more hard-core. One difference that was significant for my son, the year he applied, is that Ross will admit younger students, because the host university for PROMYS (Boston University) has a hard lower age limit for staying in the college dorms. </p>

<p>The SUMaC program is not as directly comparable to Ross or to PROMYS.</p>

<p>High School Honors Science Program at Michigan State U.</p>