Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>For those interested in the arts and film, i highly reccommend the Tisch School of the Arts Summer Program. It was very intensive and a great opportunity to meet new faces. i was in the dramatic writing program last year with 23 other students. There are other intensive ones for dance, musical theater, film-making, and art--all except the art are very competitive</p>

<p>NIH if you are interested in biology and want to apply as a pre-med or any other biology-related major. In NIH you get to know a lot of leading researchers in the field and you can start to make connections. However I must say that you should view NIH not as a summer program that's all planded out for you but something that you need to work on yourself. First of all you need to look for a mentor and also you need to be very motivated and tell your mentor what's your expectation. I suggest people who are more indepent and more motivated about research to go to NIH and you will definitely love it and get a lot of things out of it.
btw I myself is doing this internship right now and I love it =)) there are also quite a lot of people from TJ doing internship here. I think TJ and other local high schools have a program with NIH so check that out if you think your high school is one of them.</p>

<p>I've heard a rumor that once you get into RSI, you're pretty much a guarantee at even the majority of top colleges. Is it true?</p>

<p>As it has been said before, it isn't the acceptance to RSI that boasts your chances, though it can't hurt, but the fact that RSI and other such programs have such high stanfards that alumni often are the type of student top colleges are looking for.</p>

<p>what about programs outside of math and science... TASP has been mentioned quite a few times but anything else?</p>

<p>id say that GARCIA MRSEC at Stony Brook University is definitely lacking from this list</p>

<p>Great Books summer program--for rising HS seniors only: Thomas Aquinas College (CA). My kid (a techie who didn't want to go) loved it.</p>

1 Like

<p>The Clark University Summer Science Program is free and had an 11% acceptance rate last year. The Weizmann International Summer Science Institute in Israel (ISSI) is a free, month long research program in Israel similar to RSI but for people who finished 12th grade.</p>

<p>i've actually heard somewhere that CTY is bad for your application, because all it shows is that you're rich...
however, it is an experiance you won't forget with the people you meet there.... i'm not going to go into detail on this thread... but it's amazing.</p>

<p>tag for plans for next summer ;p</p>

<p>are there any prestigious humanities or summer abroad programs for rising sophomores and freshmen?</p>

<p>are there any prestigious humanities or summer abroad programs for rising sophomores or juniors?</p>

<p>(sorry about posting twice... ignore my first post. :))</p>

<p>umm...TASS?</p>

<p>Yeah, try Putney Student Travel or Oxbridge. Many prep schools have them too. None are super prestigious, but they're a good place to start. However, they're pretty expensive (adding in travel expenses you're looking at $7,000+) but you can always try a community college.</p>

<p>
[quote]
i've actually heard somewhere that CTY is bad for your application, because all it shows is that you're rich.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>CTY offers generous financial aid for families that are sufficiently poor. </p>

<p>But CTY is less competitive to get into than the programs that have their own admissions quizzes or other elaborate requirements for entrance, and that is the real reason that CTY is not very high on the prestige list.</p>

<p>TASP is best for humanities, RSI best for math/science. The others are much more specific or less prestigious, so be careful about applying to them for the academics. I mean, even the top two aren't about academics so much as they are about the people.
I worked on my free throws in TASP, is that wrong :(?</p>

<p>
[quote]
I worked on my free throws in TASP, is that wrong ?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>LOL, butcherer! What TASP did you go to?</p>

<p>UT-Austin right now!</p>

<p>You should've gone to TASP, chillaxin :(.
Yes, I trolled this forum during the TASP process.
And it's actually not that helpful until after acceptance @_@.</p>

<p>so what kind of stats to TASP acceptees have?</p>

1 Like