Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>sorry to bump this topic but what about SSP (SUmmer Science Program)?</p>

<p>I merged three former threads into this one thread that should serve to answer a frequently asked question. I'll "sticky" (mark as IMPORTANT) this thread so that it shows up at the top of the forum.</p>

<p>My son did the summer@Brown when he was 15 and again at 16. He specifically did not choose the "for credit" classes since he was simply interested in going to learn something, to experience campus life, to be somewhat independent. He didn't expect his summers there to help him get accepted to colleges but in a way, I think they may have. It showed he had an interest in learning without the intention of getting ahead. It showed he had an interest in guiding his own education (Brown's philosophy) - he's been taking enrichment classes at different colleges since he was in 7th grade. His summers at Brown helped him formulate answers to WHY he wanted to attend Brown when he applied there. He was able to discuss classes, faculty, facilities and location. He KNEW Brown was a good "fit" for him and he was able to articulate WHY. So, I wouldn't say he attended the summer program with the intention of getting in, but it may have helped - it certainly helped him determine he wanted to apply to Brown. He sent one of his Brown Prof recommendations to Brown, Yale and Duke and was accepted at all 3.</p>

<p>In general, colleges don't put alot of significance into the programs where you pay big bucks ($2500+) to attend. We heard several adcoms remark that those summer programs (including summer@Brown) and leadership conferences are a nice way to spend time, but no more significant than spending the summer working or volunteering. So, again I suggest you attend if you want to be there and plan to utilize the experience for what it is. Just don't expect it to be a hook.</p>

<p>The key word here is competitive. It is the competitive scholarship programs such as TASP, RSI and others that really help on college apps. And I'm not talkiing about getting a minimal score on the SAT and then paying to go to something like CTY.</p>

<p>What's also impressive is when you actually get paid for the work you do, things like NIH internships. We have a state program connected with various universities and companies where kids have to write essays and interview to get a position. After that they do an 8 week, full time summer internship with a required poster and oral presentation at the end. While relatively small, a stipend is paid to students who complete the program successfully. Something like this demonstrates much more than sitting in a classroom for a few weeks for enrichment and getting exposed to college life. </p>

<p>I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those types of programs, but students and parents need to recognize the difference between paid experiences and programs that require substantial work to get into and to succed at.</p>

<p>Alright so i am a junior right now i was wondering if u guys can tell me some prestigious summer programs. I did cty last year, but i know thats not prestigous even thouhg i did take the intro to engineering class which was hard. I know there is RSI, but thats so hard to get into. can someone tell me more camps.</p>

<p>This question has been asked so many times, use the search function for "prestigious" and you will get many hits.</p>

<p>im a senior, just beginning my college apps so im not exactly sure how my summer experiences will play out in college admissions</p>

<p>but one great summer program if you are into research is the Clark Scholars Program (held at Texas Tech). Basically its like RSI plus you get a stipend of $750. The money part was pretty sweet, everything in the program was free besides transportation. Clark is a smaller program-12 kids but not quite as selective as RSI. Also Clark in lubbock, texas (basically texas tech is in the middle of a bunch of cotton fields).. not cambridge, which would prob make an enormous difference in the experience. </p>

<p>also i would say that you don't necessarily have to go to a program as long as you show colleges that you don't just think about having fun over the summer, but that you try to explore and develop your passions. i love research, so before i went to clark I was just interning in a lab at a local university.</p>

<p>good luck with your summer plans, i am sure that if you show colleges that you are utilizing your time and resources during the summer, it will be a plus on your application.</p>

<p>I attended SSP (summer science program) this summer and in terms of selective summer programs, its probably #2 only to RSI (or thats how they advertise it and thats how it feels while your there). The experience was better than the step up it will give me in college admissions though...</p>

<p>For the summer after 9th grade, Davidson THINK Summer Institute is probably one of the best.</p>

<p>The Garcia MRSEC program at SUNY Stony Brook is a very successful research program --> last year 30 Siemens semi's --> 4 national finalists, this year 15ish Siemens semi's (basically 1/4 of NY's Siemens qualifiers)</p>

<p>The program basically does very well every year in materials/polymer research in Siemens, Intel STS, and ISEF.</p>

<p>Look up Vijay Jain and Jinju Yi, who acted as my undergraduate mentors alongside a professor mentor and a graduate mentor.</p>

<p>the Cornell Nanobiotechnology Research Internship is pretty competitive</p>

<p>what about LEADS?</p>

<p>Governor's Schools</p>

<p>cornell nanotech: 7 accepted out of 650 this year</p>

<p>If you're doing a summer program just because it'll look good on Apps, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. What happened to doing these because they were fun or interesting to you?</p>

<p>I attended two summer programs that aren't prestigious, but I had an amazing time and am a better person for attending them. And honestly I think that looks better to colleges than going to a way prestigious program just to look good to them. They can tell why you're doing it.</p>

<p>No. They can't. </p>

<p>:'(</p>

<p>Not that I don't agree with you. I'd recommend Harvard SSP above anything else by the by.</p>

<p>Don't you think colleges will notice something a little funny if all you ever do is "stuff that looks good on apps" and there's no personality to it? I mean these people do make a living off of reading applications...</p>

<p>"stuff on apps" is all the information adcoms get about your personality</p>

<p>"stuff that looks good on apps" = good personality</p>

<p>Oh, please.</p>

<p>Have you ever looked at the common app?</p>