Summer school - Food cost and transportation

<p>I may pick up two classes over the summer and would live on campus. </p>

<p>I am trying to get a better idea of food cost because it looks like they don’t have much of a food plan choice during summer school. I think you can buy a commuter plan and basically save on sales tax but most of the eating options on campus would still be $5-6 a meal.</p>

<p>Do most students go to the area’s off, but near, campus for food or is it just better to plan on eating most of the time somewhere on campus? Are there any grocery stores nearby?</p>

<p>Also does the Cat Tran (university bus service) run during the summer? I’m trying to figure out the options of how I will get around if I want to go further than walking distance without having my car.</p>

<p>Dude just take SunTran north on Campbell Avenue and buy groceries from the Albertsons on Campbell and Glenn. I try to avoid eating campus food due to the exorbitant prices.</p>

<p>Many decent and reasonable choices nearby. Bikes are available if you want and the buses run frequently. You can pm me if you want me to check specifics. Im there frequently</p>

<p>My favorite pizza is across street from dorms/stadium “zachs”, on the north of campus south of speedway is “luckey” chinese. Middle eastern nearby as well</p>

<p>I just crammed a bunch of food and whatnot under my bed over the summer when my parents drove me down. The big problem I had was pretty much no food places are actually open during the summer, or have extremely shortened hours. As walateral said, you have Albertsons or Safeway which you can get fairly easily to using SunTran. The downside of busing there of course is you can only carry so much on your own. If you do go grocery-ing make sure you have the store’s free club card whatever to get all the sale prices. Fake name and phone number work fine. Safeway is really within walking distance if you’re a bit ambitious (20-30 min) each way.</p>

<p>Yes Cat Tran does run during the summer, if I’m remembering right, but it’s a really shortened up schedule. I find it’s usually quicker to walk everywhere and definitely quicker to bike vs. using the shuttle. CatTran does go to Safeway, but I heard from the driver that after this semester it’s possible they’ll kill that stop (Safeway is the only reason I use the shuttle), and they might not do that stop during the summer anyways. You can always email them and they get back to you.</p>

<p>Commuter plan is the best meal plan. The others are mostly gimmicks to get you to spend more money than you need to. BTW if you do the math out the application fees for the non-commuter plans pretty much negate the 3% whatever discount they give. Even though I only eat on campus a couple times a month when I’m too lazy to go to the store to get food for my apt, I just keep fueling it $20 at a time and the money is immediately usable. </p>

<p>Remember too that summer classes are only a month or so, so you don’t need to worry about all the living stuff you normally have to during the semester.</p>

<p>I did try Zach’s as well on the recommendation of an alumni. Too much crust (deep deep dish) and sauce for my tastes, and the building/area is pretty shady-ish, but that’s my opinion. The area can’t be too shady though since it’s across the street from the Bio West building. But crossing 6th just feels like “the other side of the tracks”.</p>