"Super Suites"

<p>I’ve been considering this option more and more lately. I’ve been blessed enough to receive a full ride through both academic and talent scholarships, so the price isn’t playing a large factor. I would love the comfort of a single suite, but I’m worried about the isolation of it. </p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>It is only isolated if you stay in it all the time. There are tons of things to do and many different club options. Just get out and try things out. </p>

<p>What type of environment are you in at home? Are you an only or do you have siblings? My S is an only and the super suite was definitely the best option for him. He still had plenty of interaction with his roommates in their common areas, but also appreciated having his own space for his stuff and for privacy when he wanted it. If you are used to being around siblings at home then that may not be as important to you, but for my S that was very used to having his own space, it was the perfect option.</p>

<p>I’m an only child, and I’m a fairly private person. I was just worried that I would somehow be socially excluded if I chose a single. </p>

<p>Back when I was in college, I was in a shared room, but had a very bad relationship with my roommate (wound up changing rooms after several weeks), so even if you are in a shared room, you may find that you need to form friendships outside of your roommate. My S got along very well with the group in the suite directly across the hall from his freshman year and they spent a lot of time together and he wound up getting an apartment with several of them this year, but if you don’t find that you immediately find friends in your room or in a neighboring room then there are plenty of activities where you can meet people with mutual interests. Go out join a club, particpate in a service activity, play an intramural sport, whatever interests you…you will meet people with similar interests. </p>

<p>Ed: you may not get the chance for a single suite. They are usually gone before the freshman choose their housing. One caveat about the single suite: the frig is a small dorm frig, not a full-sized one. My D has that and it is difficult to buy a lot of groceries! :slight_smile: Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Even the quad suites can be isolating for some people, with some roommates closing their bedroom doors and you hardly see them, so if you’re worried about being in a single, entirely alone, then my first thought is that you would find it isolating. I understand that you might like a single suite…but please do consider joining either a double or a quad suite instead. You have your own bedroom + a bathroom shared w/ only 1 other student, so it really is like having your own space within a larger apartment suite. Think about why you want to be alone for your living arrangement and what concerns you (if anything), and then come back and ask us for thoughts on what it is that you might not like about a quad suite instead. PM any of us on CC if you don’t want to give details here.</p>

<p>My main concern for the quad suites is noise. I’d like an area where I can study and sleep without too much distraction. </p>

<p>Part of living with others is negotiating, ahead of time (!), the kind of must-haves vs nice-to-haves amongst the roommates. This can be done if you actively find compatible roommates before you even get to UA, or certainly discussing your requirements within the first week of school. RAs (and UA Housing) encourage the suites to have a signed roommate contract…but many kids don’t bother to fill one out, or if they do, they don’t discuss it much until it’s too late.
Here is a link to UA’s Community Living Standards: <a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/Community%20Living%20Standards%202013.pdf”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/Community%20Living%20Standards%202013.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It is not too much to ask roommates to consider having a contract to include ground rules for the following: cleanliness, noise levels, and guests. Most of everything else about living in the suite can be dealt with by closing your own bedroom door. I can’t find the actual ‘contract’ UA suggests - perhaps it is not on their website, or is only sent to incoming Freshman?</p>

<p>So, make a list of your must-haves and see how many of them you could compromise on, and which ones would be deal-breakers if you had a roommate. If there are too many deal-breakers, then go w/ the single room option.</p>

<p>Good plan! Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>Ed – The Quad Suites in RCE and RCW are one long hall of bedrooms. Room C and D are furthest from the common living room. I believe C has two outside walls. I think these rooms are nearly as quiet as a single.</p>

<p>Would C or D be better for sound? </p>

<p>Keep in mind when you choose a suite, if you are the first one in there, you can pick which room you want…or, if you’re pulling in roommates, you decide (ahead of time) which roommate is going into each room. But if you are pulled in by someone else, tho, you might not be able to pick specifically. My S’s suite has had some issues w/ noise from above, not from surrounding walls (they are on 1st floor), and he is “C” in RSW. </p>

<p>Both C and D in RCE and W would be the most quiet.</p>

<p>The point about the TINY fridge in the single room suite is a REAL issue. It’s strangely small and SHALLOW. It’s not even the depth of a normal small fridge. Some people go and get another small fridge just to have room for some groceries.</p>

<p>Frankly, the price of the single room suites is very high and hard to justify. Yes, you may have extra scholarships but you’re better off banking those for other more serious needs.</p>

<p>Edjumacation, did you really mean a single suite or just a bedroom in a super suite? </p>

<p>Noise from above or below floors will be the same if you are in a single bedroom in a 4 person suite or if your are in a single suite. I agree with M2K - the cost for a single is not worth it. I would only look at that if you have health issues in which you must control your environment. DS and his suitemates are all on different sleep/wake up schedules and have had no issues. Maybe he is lucky, but his experience in the single bedroom within a 4 person suite has been great.</p>

<p>The C and D rooms in Ridgecrest East and West will be very quiet. Depending on your roommates, it’d likely be very similar to a one or two person suite at a much lower cost.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks for the advice! I’ll do a single room in a 4 bedroom suite!</p>

<p>Edjumacation
If you are looking for additional people to fill 4 bedroom suite you might want to contact my son. He is a Presidential Scholar like you and will be majoring in Political Science. He’s a great guy, friendly and easy going with a wide knowledge of history, politics and current affairs. He’s serious about his work and would have no problem giving you quiet and space to study. He put his housing deposit in early with the intention of getting a room in Ridgecrest. PM me if you are interested and perhaps you can contact each other through Crimson email.</p>