Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

That is very true but employers and grad schools - the people who matter - do know. I don’t think the same is true internationally.

2 Likes

LACs were prominently featured in the Preppy Handbook, of course. For example, under “The College of Your Choice,” Hamilton appeared as a “Top Ten” school and Amherst and Williams appeared under “The Runners Up.” Bowdoin, as well, received a few mentions in the book.

“The Preppy Handbook’s list of the top 20 preppy colleges in America includes over half of the 11 schools of the NESCAC (Amherst, Colby, Connecticut College, Hamilton, Trinity, and Williams) but only one member (Princeton) of the eight schools in the Ivy League.”

Now, who has an old copy of the book and can list all 20?

The College of Your Choice

The Top Ten

Princeton
Hamilton
U of Virginia
St. Lawrence
Babson
Hampden-Sydney
Lake Forest
Sweet Briar
Hollins
Pine Manor (SATs N.A.)

The Runners Up

Amherst
Reed
Williams
Georgetown
Colorado College
Trinity (CT)
Colby
Vassar
Connecticut College
Wheaton (MA)

Source: The Official Preppy Handbook, 1980.

Note: While these schools appeared alphabetically in the original, they’re listed above in order of included SAT profiles for an indication of how these colleges have changed across time.

@YoLo2: Note that the article on Trinity contains sufficient selective quotations as to be misleading.

2 Likes

I’m bookmarking that article.

This article was published in what is now known as “the Mad Men era” when Trinity and several of the Ivy League schools were still all-male bastions.

And, of course, who popularized the term, Mad Men? None other than “Mad Men” creator, Matthew Weiner, a Wesleyan University alum.

2 Likes

duplicate

Walking to find my dog-eared copy now…(and I know exactly where it is). My Thursday AM reading. I remember Amherst and Middlebury but not Maine schools. This is fun!

@YoLo2 -
I am at this moment sending that Trinity article to my husband, as we are visiting next week. He had watched an old Tucker Carlson (alumni) segment skewing the school and he was 5 seconds from canceling the tour.

1 Like

Ah, the days of Bermuda bags, Sperry topsiders, monogrammed sweaters and pink and green . . .

4 Likes

@Thorsmom66 , we referred to this as “catholic school prep”. The “true” preps in our mind dressed from the LL Bean catalog. That blue checked sweater and gum boots… preferably really well worn out…

I attended one of the Maine NESCACs in the mid/late 80s. I had the requisite LL Bean blue flocked sweater, a land’s end jacket (blue with grey fleece lining) and bean boots - it was like an unofficial uniform.

2 Likes

Please move on from the preppy handbook discussion or start a new thread.
Thank you!

4 Likes

A post was split to a new thread: NYU swimming

A post was merged into an existing topic: NYU swimming

Is this thread over? I see that it’s split but I need to find out how this situation ends!

No. Some posts were split off because a user attempted to highjack this thread.

2 Likes

It is up to the OP to decide if he will update with a final decision. This is College Confidential and often posters decided to keep the final decision private.

1 Like

Fair enough, I know he doesn’t have to update but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a different post if this one wouldn’t have updates. Thanks.

2 Likes

Will she ED at any of these schools, or will these be all RD?

This thread was started in Dec 22 and will conclude once D24 is able to confirm her final college destination. All her target schools satisfy her academic interests, and it effectively boils down to the preferences of a teenager. She will submit her ED/EA/UCs/Canada before the end of October, and embark on her journey to swim varsity or club.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking of you as this month comes to a close and hoping that all is going well and that your daughter is happy with her choices/decisions.

4 Likes