NYU swimming

Continuing the discussion from Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges:

Does anyone have any experience with NYU swimming recruiting? DS was offered a roster spot but I am unsure of the coach strength in the process. I have heard about past recruits with a roster offer getting rejected ED. They do not offer pre reads or likely letters. DS is within the published range of GPA and SAT but on the lower end of the range.

Typically recruits aren’t offered roster spots, that’s something that has to be earned later.

Were they offered coach support through the admissions process?

Your student should ask the coach what proportion of past recruits who received the same level of support, and with similar stats, have been accepted.

1 Like

What do you mean? Isn’t that the whole point of recruiting?

1 Like

Unfortunately no, there are absolutely recruited athletes who don’t make the team. I wouldn’t say it’s common, but does happen.

1 Like

This doesn’t really happen in swimming. You are sort of a known entity when you come in.

1 Like

Yes coach support was offered. We asked about past success but imprecise answers were provided. They will only say that your scores are within the range admissions is looking for and that they do not know the exact details of why past athletes were rejected.

1 Like

That’s not comforting for sure.

If the parents weren’t involved in that round of questioning, it’s ok for you to get involved now.

If your S does verbally commit, it’s ok for him to keep communicating with other coaches (as long as they know he’s committed) in case things don’t work out.

Hopefully someone with recent experience with NYU recruiting comments, as nyu definitely used to do academic pre-reads for potential recruits.

Is NYU the top choice?

This sounds off to me. Maybe ask the coach how many offers he has made and how big a class he is hoping for. How does your swimmer stack up against the team? Is it possible that the coach is offering him a spot but thinking of him as a “bonus” get and therefore not pushing him through admissions? Is the coach requiring him to apply ED?

2 Likes

I spoke with another recruit parent and we were both given the exact same information. Those questions were asked. I am just leery as I know of other swimmers in past years rejected with coach support. It would be ED.

That imprecise info was given to parents?

If so, your S is faced with a choice. Verbally commit knowing there’s relatively more uncertainty for ED, or move on.

Is NYU the top choice?

Yes it is his top choice.

If grades and rigor are good and NYU is a clear top choice I might still apply. If the priority is swimming I’d probably move on. You should probably factor in the major as well.

I will ask a friend whose D is there. I realize you are running against the wall here but does he have other offers or coaches who might support him in a ED2 situation? What is plan B?

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like you will be able to get more certainty that what’s already been discussed. I might have one more talk with the coach (parents and S).

Did coach give guidance on applying with or without test score? Where does the test score fall in last year’s range? (Knowing that’s not necessarily accurate for athlete range)

Thank you. He is willing to try for multiple schools within NYU to try to get in but his preference is for Stern. We do have a plan B for ED2.

1 Like

I seem to recall request for pre-read docs during the recruiting cycle for my D24 swimmer…did your son attend one of their zoom group recruiting calls? They laid out the process clearly during that call and coach definitely mentioned test optional and how he doesn’t send the scores in if they are below a certain number, you should be getting some guidance from them on this. Support through admissions is offered when a roster spot offer is made and they should reach out and do an individual zoom call with with parents and athlete to go over this.

3 Likes

I am sorry but this all sounds off and you should have another conversation with the coach before wasting your ED ticket if there are other ED options.

Different sport but a player on my D’s team has committed there for 24 and she had a pre-read and confirmation that with full coach support she would get in back in April. This doesn’t feel like strong coach support and I would suggest requesting specifics on the level of support and what that means. I do not know if NYU does likely letters but some UAA schools do.

2 Likes

Thank you. What sport?

The coaches review the documents, not admissions, so they do not call it a pre read even though it is the same set of documents. Yes I was on the zoom earlier in the year.

PM’d