Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

Which one of these doesn’t count…the UCs? Because I count 11 if the UC application counts as one.

This should have read 10 non-recruit applications from the following list of 11 (really 14 because of Toronto/McGill, Claremont/Pomona, Columbia/Barnard) schools. The UCs count as 1

So…correct me if I’m wrong…something in that list of 11 will get dropped?

I hope the recruiting thing works out for you. It will save your daughter a lot of application time.

And unless at one of these schools she’d rather stay home correct? Otherwise it is not a list one should advise on. Even with the Canadian likely.

6 Likes

She could/should still ED and hope no additional applications will be needed.

1 Like

D24 current swim discussions

• Amherst
  • Bowdoin
  • Claremont
  • Carnegie Mellon
  • Colby
  • Franklin & Marshall
  • Grinnell
  • Pomona
  • Swarthmore
  • Washington St Louis
  • Wesleyan
  • Toronto
  • McGill

Tentative list of schools if she isn’t recruited (to be reduced/capped at 10, with all UCs together counted as 1)

• Stanford (yes one can dream!)
  • UCs: UCLA, Berkeley, UCSD, UCSC, UCD
  • University of Virginia
  • Toronto / McGill
  • Pomona / Claremont
  • Amherst
  • Brown
  • Columbia / Barnard
  • Dartmouth
  • Swarthmore
  • Carnegie Mellon
1 Like

I think she will likely have at least one swim school work out.

How is her injury btw? I hope she is recovering well!

1 Like

Canada will be a safety because her expected grades clear their academic cut for her intended major/department (expected IB 30 out of 42)

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about the Canadian applications. So it’s direct admit if you clear that score?

McGill for instance operates on rolling admission, and admits the most qualified students first. They publish the exact “qualified grades” for the past admission cycle (history isn’t a 100% predictor, but very reliable in years past), with the specifics for each major/department, and for Canadian, US, International high schoolers (that includes specific SAT requirements for those submitting). They do review difficulty of schedule etc, but it’s otherwise a very systematic process. That means D24 is 99% certain of admission to McGill in her major/college, and currently within the coach’s top 6-8 recruit list. We’re trying to understand if recruits are given acceptance early in their rolling admission timeline, ie in the weeks following the start of admissions, or they follow the same rolling admission timeline as regular students.

1 Like

If your daughter isn’t recruited I would rethink this list. While she has a good chance at McGill (but not a slam dunk), as an international applicant her odds at the rest aren’t great. There could be a shut out (unless she has options in your home country).

4 Likes

@Thorsmom66, could you explain your comment about McGill?

The cut for her McGill major/school is 30/42 and 38/42 (they have two schools for the same major, these cuts have nothing to do with sports recruiting and apply to all IB students). nobody in her high school has scored below 32/42 in the past 5+ years

1 Like

Are you still deciding whether you prefer Pomona or Claremont? Barnard or Columbia? Noticed those are on line in your tally…

I hope your read on McGill is correct and you are not just inferring from the advertised stats.
As an international applicant, there are always exceptions to the rules and they often aren’t in the favor of those coming from abroad.

With regards to your lists (swim vs no-swim), I would suggest rethinking it.

Generally, athletic recruiting can help an athlete get into a better school the may otherwise not have if they didn’t have the sports hook. When comparing your two lists, there are seven schools that overlap, meaning you if you are not recruited you are trying to get into a school where your strongest hook is not relevant. May the force be with you.

Your non-swim list (excluding the overlaps) has schools that are significantly more academically challenging and more rejective than any of the schools on the swim list. You may be going in the wrong direction…While your daughter’s stats are good, you may need a few schools that are academically easier to get in (vs harder) than the schools on the swim list.

I echo thorsmom’s comments about a possible shutout (in the event Canada does not come thru). I think you need at last one or two US based safety schools.

4 Likes

@superdomestique and @Thorsmom66
Canadian schools have a strong tradition of accepting overseas students, and their protocol is very well understood and openly communicated on their website. We have dozens of relatives and friends who have studied in Canada over the past 50 years. If you or anyone has factual information to contradict 50 years of history, please circulate the link openly for discussion, but otherwise we shouldn’t be arguing about how safe it would be for D24 to fulfill McGill’s publicly stated admission requirements for her intended major/department, or suggest she may be subject to segregation as a foreign applicant.
Your general comment about rethinking her list doesn’t accept two factual points which support how she curated her list, namely that Canadian schools provide assurance of acceptance, and that several UCs are completely safety schools with admit rates from 30%-50%. If she can’t get admission to several schools with 30%-50% admit rates, she will take a gap year and enroll in military service, and complete junior officer training, which is very formative.

@gardenstategal : D24 will be visiting many schools this summer, and form her own opinion in choosing from schools at which she’s recruited. If she isn’t recruited, she’ll choose to apply to UCs + 9 schools from her second list. In doing so, she will independently consider all of Pomona/Claremont/Barnard/Columbia etc.

I’ve said this before, but I agree with you that your lists are fine. I’m sure things will continue to refine over the summer. Good luck to your D, many here are rooting for her.

2 Likes

Just so this is clear for others who may read this:

American schools with acceptance rates of 30% - 50% ARE NOT safeties. They would probably be considered targets for an appropriately strong candidate.

In addition, the published rate of 30-50% acceptance rate is not the rate of international acceptances, which tends to be significantly lower. It is also probably worth mentioning that top state schools are always a reach for an out of state US applicant.

If OP is happy with the two Canadian safeties, and I have to defer to them, there is no issue with the list. I would however be prepared for the possibility of a large number of rejections, if not a complete US shut out.

@NiVo i say this simply so you and your daughter can be prepared. Any rejection is difficult, even if they come from Harvard, and a pile of them can be very hard on a teen. While we all say one acceptance is all you need, that is not the reality of how you feel when going through it. And it’s heartbreaking to see your child’s disappointment.

If you haven’t already, you might want to check out the real results and the 2023 threads to see what is today’s reality for most applicants.

12 Likes

Those overall acceptance rates are not accurate in your situation, so don’t bank the lower UCs as safeties. The UCs have been tasked to accept more in-state students and have lowered the percentage of out-of-state and international acceptances; that, along with record application cycles and over-enrollment corrections from the past few years change those percentages. For example, the international acceptance rate at UC Davis is around 15%.

7 Likes

If I recall correctly, OP is full pay. All else equal that should help at the margins since several schools are need aware for international students.

3 Likes

One thing I have wondered about is how competitive a potential recruit would be as a regular applicant (not being recruited) at these types of schools.

If a significant amount of time is spent on the sport at the expense of other activities and the student is NOT recruited, then how is the sport viewed by admissions? And how would this student compare with others whose activities reflect a high level of excellence? It is clear that grades/scores alone are not sufficient to be admitted to these schools.

1 Like