Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

While that is true, the conversation here has been centered around high academic D3s, where it’s more uncommon for an offer to come before a pre-read and there seems to be less flexibility around what it takes to pass such.

3 Likes

Again, this 2000 post thread is confusing enough just discussing the OP’s situation. Can we please refrain from off-topic conversations that either don’t concern him or are none of anyone’s business. Examples include, D1 recruiting, sports other than swimming, the specific colleges being discussed, etc.

Also not helpful are posts saying the OP is confusing, posts questioning the veracity of statements made, etc. It’s quite easier to just not post rather than post comments that add nothing.

17 Likes

When my dd and ds submitted pre-reads, some schools asked for more info. It included grades, test scores, extra-curriculars, awards, senior year schedule, and one did require short essays. It all just depends on the individual schools.

1 Like

Circling back to swimming, there was some discussion on SwimSwam a few days ago about how the original recruited swim class for Harvard 2027 (high school class of 2023) has somewhat changed now that fall 2023 has arrived. The general consensus was kids committed to the recruiting process and announced junior year yet didn’t make the needed academic cuts somewhere along the way.

1 Like

Just curious because only one school out of five asked my student for test scores associated with a pre-read.

Curious about?

About why schools would ask for test scores, but you provided good info. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this article-very informative. There is a lot of strategy/puzzle pieces that go into a coach perfecting a winning lineup at each meet.

The quote below, which was bolded in the article for emphasis, is the important takeaway motto. It applies here and for all situations with recruited athletes.

Remember, its not enough for you to be interested in the school, you want the school to be interested in YOU.

4 Likes

This was not our experience. After pre-read, my swimmer was directly told they were in the A-band outright.

5 Likes

This is my underlying point. College coaches are the same. It doesn’t matter if they coach different sports or different NCAA divisions. They all share the same goal and that is to win in their sport to keep their jobs and help them land a better one. Successful recruiting is a big part of the job description. Although D3 coaches may have different recruiting restrictions compared to their D1 counterparts, they operate similarly during recruiting season. Both are aggressively trying to land the best athletes that their schools will accept. That means keeping an up-to-date recruiting rank list for their team, trying their best (theoretically within the rules) to convince the top ones to commit quickly while slow playing the rest, and having a very good idea of what is required for their AO to “green light” a pre-read. It’s a cut-throat business because a recruiting mistake only benefits their competition. Every coach has his/her unique spin when it comes to recruiting, but some of the experiences the OP has shared about his daughter’s swimming recruitment is distinctly unfamiliar to me.

NESCAC coaches cannot officially offer a spot to a recruit before their AO signs off on the pre-read, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t unofficially let it be known (if they choose to) that there is a spot waiting for them and they don’t foresee any problems with the pre-read process.

2 Likes

Same. But I think it depends on the school/coach.

1 Like

Once again, CC is supposed to be a friendly and welcoming place. Snarky and unkind posts are not OK and will be flagged/hidden/deleted.

6 Likes

Regardless of some vagueness in language, it sounds like op’s dd is closing in on a decision, even if that decision may be to pursue regular admissions. Looking forward to updates and best of luck to op’s dd over the next few weeks!

11 Likes

2 offers / 1 discussion. Commit time approaching

14 Likes

Good luck to her! It’s great to have choices but making a decision can be hard too.

9 Likes

Our experience as well.

So happy to hear! Good luck with the decision making!

1 Like

There seems to be a feeling of entering the musical chairs/commitment period as 2 additional coaches reached out, one from a women’s college and one from another Top Half NESCAC school. No change to her current plans

7 Likes