Swimming walk on

She did not have to apply. She ED1 to Tufts and she got accepted 2 months later. So she did not have to apply anywhere else. She then contacted the coach around March and this is where she stand now.

She has not talked to club coach about any help. May be she will reached out to him for help.

1 Like

I would strongly advise she do that given the situation and objective. That coach might also be willing to liase with the non-school club coach or find ways to make greater intensity less difficult logistically.

1 Like

In her situation it seems critical. The club coach can attest to her potential and recovery.

1 Like

Did Amherst make a swim team offer?

D did not contact Amherst since she got accepted from Tufts

Had she been talking to the coach there about being recruited, and where did those conversations end up? I would be very careful about making assumptions about your other options, especially with the passage of time, without confirming from the Amherst coach.

This is such an unusual situation, so hoping it all works out.

1 Like

So she didn’t pursue recruiting anywhere at all - just EDed and assumed she would be able to walk on where ever she ended up?

Probably irrelevant since Amherst has a new coach as of a week ago.

I thought Amherst transfers were mainly from community colleges. “She will just transfer to Amherst” seems like a risky assumption.

4 Likes

I must be missing something here. This student has committed to attending Tufts and did so after an ED acceptance . I would therefore assume that any other colleges that might have been under consideration are totally off the table.

Tufts is a great school, and I’m quite sure this student will find activities to occupy their time
be it club swimming or just swimming laps for personal enjoyment.

So
congratulations on a great acceptance, and good luck at Tufts!

4 Likes

Delete

Most of the small number of transfer students at Amherst are either from community colleges or military. I wouldn’t count on transferring to Amherst, at all.

2 Likes

Really at the end of the day, she had NO “second choice”. She applied ED to Tufts so was one and done when she got her acceptance.

4 Likes

What a tough situation! I’m so sorry for your daughter’s injuries. My son was out of the pool for 6+ months his junior year because of covid, and it’s just so tough for these kids! When she first made the decision to ED it sounds like it was relatively close to her injury, so did she feel like swimming wouldn’t be an option? I’m just trying to reconcile the decision to ED without coach support to Tufts if swimming collegiately was her desire.

I think the support of her current club coach and a conversation is really her best/only bet at this point. I am curious if her current times with recovery are faster than her junior year times or are you using junior year times for the recruiting comparison? Just for reference most of the coaches expect those times to have been achieved by junior year to be recruited as that’s how the timeline works for recruiting. So while I completely understand that she was injured and she’s still getting stronger, the baseline for recruiting is really what she achieved junior year.

Best of luck to her and I hope she loves Tufts!

2 Likes

Nothing to reconcile for me. We all consider a # of factors that go into the college decision and Tufts is a great school and accomplishment to get admitted!
In our families case, if sports and being recruited could help to get you into a very top end school or a school you wouldn’t have a shot at academically otherwise, it was worth pursuing though we were not going to compromise or justify the school selection to fit playing the sport. All kids and families are different but that was our thinking.

2 Likes

You are saying you’d rather give up the sport than the school, and nothing wrong with that.

We feel the same way but OP suggested that they expected to be able to walk on, and as such that was part of the calculus.

If they’d rather go to Amherst with swimming, it is unclear why they ED to Tufts without considering the implications of doing so.

6 Likes

Of course - we were much the same. But the OP is discussing transferring to Amherst to swim. That is a very different situation that deciding that Tufts is worth giving up swimming for and deciding to ED without coach support.

3 Likes

This doesn’t seem to have been this family’s thinking at all. It sounds like her requirement was both — top school and swim — but she decided to ED to a top school where swim wasn’t part of the equation.

4 Likes

Thank you for all your advice. My d was focusing getting into school of her choice. At the same time she was getting back to her swimming starting to achieve the time just before she broke both of her legs. She knew that her time is not good enough but based on her sister experience with waking on then becoming becoming the second fastest swimmer after she walk on, I am sure she was thinking of the same thing especially she was improving a lot and achieve NCSA qualifying time in beginning of the March. Then she found out that there may be no walk on or she will not even get a chance to prove it. So we talked and thought Tufts is her first choice, Amherst is also a very good school and comparable to Tufts in academic rigor thought not in Boston and smaller, we are weighing out options for future if she choose that route. I am very that Amherst will allow her to swim once and if and wh

I am just wondering if swim was an important component, why did she not research the recruiting process?

2 Likes

If and when she choose to do so and I am sure she will improve her time throughout 23-24 when she swim with a team (not club) while going to Tufts.