Tablet for Christmas - which best for textbooks?

<p>My DS is a junior mechanical engineering student and has asked for a tablet for Christmas. At first we were going to get him a small 7" one just for light reading, videos, and web browsing, but he pointed out that textbooks are a lot cheaper in ebook format so the larger tablets might be worth the extra cost since they’ll be better for textbooks and allow him to see diagrams. So - when textbooks come in ebook format, is that a particular file type that only certain tablets (like an iPad) would be able to read, or would a Nexus or Kindle Fire also be good candidates? Or - would we have to buy the books from Amazon if Kindle, Google if Nexus, etc., because of the file types? (And so if that’s the case, which source has most of the books students would need)? Any students have strong preferences or warnings about certain brands?</p>

<p>Please forgive me if this is a dumb question - I don’t have a tablet myself! :slight_smile: Thanks!</p>

<p>Although I have read books on my Ipad, I don’t particularly like the look of the “page” or the “feel” of the device. I guess I am just a book person :)</p>

<p>However to answer your question: many students who don’t like having an electronic book will use a reader as an adjunct. Some texts are just too large to download in their entirety, and can only be loaded chapter by chapter. Not all books are available for all formats.</p>

<p>See this article:
[Which</a> tablet is best for textbooks? | Signal Strength - CNET News](<a href=“http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57329131-266/which-tablet-is-best-for-textbooks/]Which”>http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57329131-266/which-tablet-is-best-for-textbooks/)</p>

<p>My eng’g S has latest/greatest iPad and absolutely loves it. He bought a $5 app allowing him to take notes w/ stylus for all of his math and eng’g classes, which he then downloads to laptop and backs up and/or prints. If your S wants a multi-task tablet, can’t beat the iPad. If it’s a straight reader tablet he’s after, others are probably better. But as the OP and the article mentioned, E-texts are large and not always compatible. If your S already has a computer/laptop, it is better to download them to a bigger screened item. Make sure you understand the reasons your S is wanting a tablet - and not just justifying buying one to save on textbook costs? An iPad will be more valuable to him as eng’g major, and more versatile, than other options, in the long term, IMO, but the most expensive upfront.</p>

<p>My son has the asus transformer prime and loves it. You can get the same app for taking notes on an Android device as you can an apple device. </p>

<p>Like the article pointed out, textbooks on tablets and even e readers is nit quite there yet. So getting a tablet for the sole purpose of textbooks is a few years premature. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>I’ll share these replies with him and of course we’ll read the CNET article too. Thank you all so much - this is exactly the sort of input we wanted. Originally I just thought since he likes to watch videos and follow sports on his phone so much he’d enjoy a small tablet, but then we stretched it to textbooks. He may decide to just stick to “recreation” for a tablet or he may like the idea of the note taking, etc.</p>

<p>I also like the feel of a book - and I always liked to highlight textbooks and stick post-its to the edges of certain pages too - helped me keep my brain engaged! :slight_smile: But with such a large campus to walk back and forth across all day, I’m sure it might be nice to carry at least parts of textbooks with you to certain classes and for between those classes.</p>

<p>Regardless of the device you select (iPads are hard to beat) keep in mind that e-books are definitely still in their infancy, much to my chagrin. While the electronic version may appear less expensive on the surface, be advised that often carries heavy restrictions not well understood. For example, I tried this route with my son’s history book, only to learn that the publisher requires check-in/check-out on a per chapter basis. Horribly cumbersome in the name of copy protection. I have since taken to getting the binder-ready/looseleaf approach for as many texts as I can. I then scan them on our high-speed scanner at the office and make my own PDFs. This gives me control over our own destiny and I can easily put it on his laptop and his iPad (even his phone for quick reference). Copyright can suck it, I paid for this book and I am not going to pirate it to others. As usual, the restrictions only serve to punish those with legitimate intent.</p>

<p>Secondly, my son has told me many classes forbid electronic devices, so keep that in mind if you are trying to rely solely on a tablet device for their reference materials while in class. Only a matter of time for attitudes to change regarding tech in the classrooms, but it does seem to move far too slowly…</p>

<p>My D has been extremely happy with loose leaf copies of textbooks because it allows her to lighten her load by only carrying what she needs.</p>

<p>Though we haven’t used it for textbooks, iPads are hard to beat with regards to their iBooks app. I read most of my books through the Kindle app on my iPad, but recently had occasion to view a recipe book in iBooks. The multimedia is incredible (photos pop up, videos available, etc) and, as far as I know, you can’t duplicate that in a kindle book. If we were doing any textbooks electronically, I’d definitely look into getting them for iBooks on the iPad.</p>

<p>I’ll make sure my son reads all this and evaluates carefully. So the world is not quite there as far as just getting all electronic textbooks loaded on a tablet and living happily ever after. Sounds like for textbooks we might need to go with the iPad, or else loose leaf textbooks + a different tablet if he wants one for other things. I’ve never even played with an iPad but the iBooks app sounds amazing! Thank you all - this is the kind of stuff ya just can’t get from a review site. :)</p>

<p>If you do go with a tablet, an Android will be cheaper, but many have the same features as the iPad - and sometimes better features. The Samsung Galaxy line has better cameras, for instance - both front and back - allowing it to function in place of yet another device. Most of the apps available on the ipad are also available on android as well. The advantage of both over an e-reader is the ability to use apps for all of the e-reader versions. I borrow library books in ePub format (nook), but have a slew of books I got free through Amazon’s daily deals (kindle format).</p>

<p>It really does boil down to your expectations from it. As purely a reader, many would argue Kindle Paperwhite is the one to beat for pure reading. If you are trying to get as much from it as possible, there are always compromises imposed with a multi-purpose device. You just have to weigh the features.</p>

<p>I own both and iPad and an Asus Transformer Infinity. They are both amazing devices in their own right. If your student isn’t a techie type and just wants something to work all the time and have the best application selection, then it is iPad hands down. With Apple, you play in their walled garden and accept ease of use and reliability over greater functionality and the ability to tweak. </p>

<p>Android devices are cheaper, and sometimes more feature rich. I am actually a big fan, BUT this comes at the cost of a glitch here and there. Android devices are rapidly closing the gap, but even today they still lack the fit & finish of Apple’s finest. </p>

<p>Most people want a device that just plain works, and Apple has that down to a science at this point. I am not a biased Apple shill, just stating generally accepted fact. I am a pretty hardcore techie and I love Android more, but it is all about the intended audience…</p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<p>Our kids love their iPads, just not for textbooks.</p>

<p>Absolutely does help, thanks! I know what you mean about Apple vs. Android. I’ve had a Droid X phone through my workplace and liked it just fine. But I’m a person who likes tech stuff and doesn’t have to have everything “looking fancy.” When my office changed to iPhones, I could see all the nice things it does that look very cool, etc., and why all the former iPhone users had complained about the Droids - because they were missing those little extra touches. So - for me, I’d be very happy with an Android tablet, but I can see where when in doubt, you can’t go wrong with an iPad. :slight_smile: (except for the $$$)!</p>

<p>DS will be home this weekend, so we’ll nail down what all he’ll want to do with this tablet - and I want him to see all the great replies everyone has given!</p>