Taking foreign language outside of student’s high school…for college admission

You just highlight the part you want to quote and a little “quote” pop up comes up. Easier on a computer, but doable on a phone. Sometimes I have to try multiple times on my phone because the native “copy, select all, etc” pop up is too close to the “quote” pop up.

As for the outside art classes vs outside foreign language classes, yes skieurope understood my point. Art classes are not required to be on the transcript for admittance to most colleges. California colleges being a notable exception. None of the colleges that my D22 applied to had an arts requirement, but I think they all had a foreign language requirement. I know all our state schools require a minimum of 2 years foreign language.

There are plenty of ways to demonstrate his ability and interest in art beyond taking a high school art class. In fact only taking a high school art class is a very poor way to demonstrate his interest and abilities. Pretty much anybody can do that. Serious art or design students submit a portfolio along with their application. They may have won awards with national recognition such as Scholastic Art&Writing or YoungArts. My kids are artists and there are lots of arts offerings in my area. It’s way easier to put art on an app as an extracurricular and tell colleges about your talent that way.

Doesn’t work that way for foreign language since it has to be part of the transcript, either in high school, through Dual Enrollment at community college, etc, or maybe through something like CTY, but I really don’t know if all colleges are going to accept that. You do know that ALL colleges, every single one, will accept foreign language credits taken in and at the high school.

It may be that most colleges will accept CTY credits, too. I just am not that familiar with the program and don’t know. Start with the reachiest school you can imagine that he might want to go to (Ivies?) and email those admissions offices and see what they say.

You can check these direct links to the high school requirements for Princeton and Maryland. Princeton does say “in addition, most candidates have had some study in the visual or performing arts,” but it’s not listed with the other bullet points like “• Four years of one language”. You need to check with the AOs, but I would plan on him taking a language in high school. If you don’t think he’s aiming as high as Princeton UMD only requires 2 years, but the more the merrier, y’know?

My kids were definitely not aiming for Princeton and managed to do both art and foreign language in high school. They did not do 4 years of FL though.

They will say that of course there are exceptions and the suggested courses are just recommended-that gives them the flexibility to admit the Ukraine freedom fighter or the Appalachian athletic star. Nevertheless, if 95% of the applicants who are like you have completed the FL sequence, ignore it at your peril.

7 Likes

This!!

My son started with Japanese 1 in HS, was uninspired and switched to German 1 in 10th grade. (Parents…don’t let your kid do this!) He is a talented musician and a very good student. After 10th grade he was accepted to a performing arts boarding school across the country. Which of course offered only French and Spanish. The counselors there were “pretty sure” they could work around the FL requirement when he applied to universities, and music conservatories have no FL requirements. But my son chose to do a second year of German through an on line high school. On top of a super heavy performance and practice schedule and academic load. It was painful. And not a positive way to study a language. But he wanted to keep all of his options open and not be limited on college choices because he did not meet their requirements.
Ultimately my son was accepted at a great conservatory. He did not need any FL. Or SAT for that matter. But he knows that sometimes you just have to grind through requirements, or fit a mold because that is the way life is.

3 Likes

My apologies—I didn’t realize that CTY was also an accredited provider that could satisfy semester and year-long language instruction. I think the challenge is the same for both—that the new school won’t accept them. My kid’s high school accepts language bird, adds it to their transcript, and factors it into overall GPA.

Thank you! I had done it before, but I forgot! Now I can answer all the questions!

I need to stay in my county because of my other kid’s school. I also need to stay in close proximity to work. We’re considering all the local options, but there doesn’t see to be one that would provide that kind of DE option.

He’s currently in Geometry.

1 Like

I emailed a dozen schools, half public half private, of varying selectivity.

In 2 hours, I have heard from 2

The UC system (one email for all) says that the courses in middle school meet A-G and that if he submits a transcript from either CTY or Stanford OHS they will “accept the class” whether or not his HS does. I did specifics MD so if you are in state this might not apply to you.

RIT was the second to get back and said that they really only care about foreign language beyond HS graduation requirements for a few majors and that depending on major STEM or art classes usually carry more weight anyway.

I will keep you posted if more reply! I was particularly impressed that RIT replied tonight since it was 5:30 p.m. in Rochester when I sent the email.

3 Likes

I am a NYC mom and she is in a NY public performing arts high school.

1 Like

The magnet school with the higher-level math, science, and computer electives sounds like it would dovetail with your son’s interests. Having the best mix of higher-value core classes, which math and science are, is the first priority. Then language, then art.

If he can make it into the magnet, that would possibly be best for his future post-secondary interests. If he wants to change fields of interest later, he can. But in America, it’s much harder to get ahead in math/science classes - than to push the brakes. So prioritize the best STEM fit.

As for FL, you may consider him taking Spanish, French, or whatever the school offers for two years. Privately, have him continue his interest in Mandarin - through a program, community college, or a tutor. He can continue his studies and simply do the AP test in Mandarin when ready during high school - grade 9, 10, 11… it’s all good. That way he has done the minimum “want what they want” FL requirements - but then has an AP FL he’s tested out of. (Many schools want to see a 4 or 5 on a test to give credit and/or recognize “highest rigor” when applying.)

Art is great, but he’s a soccer and STEM dude who doesn’t want to give up his foreign language. Art will have to be at the bottom of the list with whatever the school offers. Depending on what art he wants to pursue, it might be something you can hire a local fine arts college student to do with him privately on occasion.

And frankly, if this kid is doing soccer (I don’t know if he’s to be recruited at a high level or not), you are probably plenty busy with the team training requirements. So IMHO, I’d prioritize getting into the magnet if it’s a good fit.

At this point, neither do I! But he puts a lot of time into it.

I worry that two languages will be too much. I’m hoping the rest of the schools come back and say the same thing as the first two. I was hoping for the UC response. The honesty of the RIT response kind of surprised me. He also doesn’t want to give up his art. He wants to do all the things. That’s always been how he was since he was a tiny human.

I’m confused - I’m seeing feedback that the Hopkins option can work and that it won’t work.

In the end, the school district needs to buy in to graduate.

It sounds like colleges will, for the most part be ok…it sounds like.

So you may have been right all along

1 Like

My kid is older than yours and has been training at a high sports level for years (non-recruitable). What we did was have to put interests in different baskets, at different times of the year. In different years.

There was a time when my kid did YMCA week-long summer art camps when younger (offerings like claymation, drawing, etc.). Then summers evolved to encompass full-time sports training.

My kid finished their AP FL course in sophomore year. And is now taking three dual enrolment community college courses (in core A-G requirements) each semester, along with four classes in their local high school. More art courses now. It’s a weird transcript, but it works with my kid’s heavy training schedule.

The biggest thing is to sort out your kid’s STEM needs first. Really consider doing the high school’s FL requirements. Why? Because it sounds like soccer is important, too. So, this covers his STEM and soccer interests. These aren’t just important to him. They’re important to prospective schools, too.

Try to find a Mandarin work-around. But if he’s truly interested in the subject, he’ll continue to study it.

Your sanity, and your kid’s, means learning to establish healthy boundaries when they want “all the interests, all the time.” I am a planner, and you would not believe the past six years of trying to balance school and sport. It’s amazing that you’re really listening to his interests. But what you’ll learn is that sometimes, it’s great to have interests that you do that won’t impact your GPA. Again, he can perhaps self-study to that AP over time.

4 Likes

Not truly a surprise as I (amongst others) said that upthread. But their response will be in the vast minority.

Hijacking this thread for a minute. S24 is taking AP this Spanish this year (started HS in Spanish 3 and took conversation last year) and that will be it for available Spanish classes. He plans on taking honors Latin next year - will that suffice?

Cornell Engineering came back and said that they don’t require foreign language, but that taking classes outside of school is common for their applicants, and as long as you provide a transcript of the outside classes they count.

Yes, your child should be fine since the are taking AP level.

Do you need Pre approval?

Also, some of these responses sound like what the schools require or will accept once the student is enrolled. Is your question clear that you want to know what FL courses are recommended or required for those applying

4 Likes

I may have missed this but did you call the guidance department at the STEM school? If they are a magnet school for high achieving kids they will have the most information for these kinds of situations and should be able to tell you what happens for kids who do not take FL in their school and if they have issues with college acceptance. They will not let your kid (if he is accepted) have a schedule that is lacking, they depend on kids having excellent results in college admissions.

6 Likes

That’s a great point. And the HS may have their own FL requirements.

1 Like

I was pretty clear that I had a middle schooler and was looking for guidance on 9th grade course selection that would meet their admissions requirement.

IMO, it’s way too early to assume that your middle schoolers is going to want to do engineering. Most of the other colleges at Cornell require 3 years of the same FL, and CAS has a FL requirement for graduation.

I think you are potentially going to unnecessarily disadvantage your child by not taking a FL at their HS. Minimum requirements are not the same as recommended requirements.

5 Likes