Taking foreign language outside of student’s high school…for college admission

GA Tech says that the classes in MS will already meet their requirement, but that the outside courses would “only help his application”.

UVA says “call us”.

I am kind of impressed how fast these schools reply! I’ve also gotten a bunch that say “thanks for emailing, we’ll get back to you soon!”

2 Likes

I haven’t because I don’t want them to include I’m a helicopter mom, since he isn’t accepted yet. I feel as though to ask the question, I have to include enough information to be identifiable in a relatively small pool.

2 Likes

UVA looks for four years of aforeign language in high school. I do think you will find this would be an issue for them.

I agree you need to talk to the high school about its own requirements. We are in Maryland, and our private high school requires 3 years of a foreign language to be taken at the high school level.

It looks like the high school foreign language graduation requirement is already met, since the high school counts middle school year 2 as fulfilling it. However, general consensus here is that most more selective colleges want to see a higher level than year 2 (especially if year 2 was in middle school rather than high school).

But the real question of this thread comes down to whether colleges want to see a higher level of foreign language taken at one’s main high school, or if continuing to a higher level foreign language at an outside high school or college (which would have to be included in college applications anyway, but not on the main high school’s transcript) would be considered the same.

Many universities, and certainly most, if not all top universities, have a suggested HS preparation that exceeds HS graduation requirements in many subjects, not just FL.

I’m unaware of any admissions office that would not consider them the same if credit is issued.

In that case, if the student in question enrolls in the high school without Mandarin, but continues Mandarin at an outside high school or college to a high level (high school year 4 or higher, or equivalent in college courses), that would be good for college admission purposes (even if the student did not take a foreign language at the main high school)?

Yes, that would absolutely be fine.

The challenge though, is if the HS doesn’t accept the credits, while the student can certainly take an outside course, it’s at their expense and is in addition to the number of yearly credits that their HS requires them to take.

Lots of applicants to the schools OP is considering have very advanced math and FL through their school.

1 Like

So basically, the student could have these options in terms of getting foreign language study to what more selective colleges want to see:

1. Attend a high school that offers Mandarin and continue it to year 4 or higher. However, more advanced math and science may have to be taken at an outside high school or college.
  2. Attend the STEM high school without Mandarin and take Spanish or French that this high school offers to year 4.
  3. Attend the STEM high school without Mandarin and continue Mandarin at an outside high school or college to year 4 or higher (or college equivalent).

Options 1 or 3 may involve extra cost and/or commuting for the outside high school or college.

1 Like

There is a STEM magnet school near us. The students there have time for foreign language, arts, and all the STEM requirements. The school wants their kids to achieve excellent college acceptances…and fully expect that students will take the FL requirement at the magnet school.

This parent wants an exception made because the magnet school doesn’t offer Mandarin. In my opinion, the student should take the foreign language offered at the magnet school for at least two years. If he can continue Mandarin as a EC outside of school…fine.

4 Likes

And be in addition to the full load of classes at their HS

Which can easily in kids two years of FL…except not mandarin at the magnet school.

In my opinion, this family seems to want it all. They just might need to make some compromises…doing so without limiting the student’s post high school options. My opinion.

1 Like

Two years (to year 2) of Spanish or French could be marginal at many more selective colleges. If the student attends the STEM school and switches to Spanish or French, it would be better to take up to year 3 and preferably year 4 for many more selective colleges. This would consume three or four (instead of two) years of schedule space, since the student presumably will start in the year 1 course.

1 Like

My son transferred schools in 10th grade and switched from Latin (which both schools offered) to Chinese. He didn’t want to continue in Latin and was intrigued by studying Chinese. He took three years of Chinese. I really don’t think his not continuing in Latin, or only having 3 years in Chinese (but four years of FL altogether ) hurt him in his admissions prospects. But I think he would have chosen as he did even if he knew it might have been a disadvantage because he felt strongly about his foreign language choices.

IMHO, I do think it’s important to consider the hierarchy of needs and remember that you can’t as easily accelerate in STEM in school.

So the magnet school, taking advantage of their plentiful STEM courses, is the priority. Colleges will recognize these courses, along with whatever foreign language and art they offer. And if there isn’t enough art or Mandarin at the magnet school, then you son is just the person to start the Mandarin and Art clubs at school. It will show initiative, which adcoms recognize, while contributing to the community (if there’s enough interest).

From our family’s experience, keeping instruction to a minimum of driving destinations was something we had to make happen as my kid’s sports training accelerated. Trust me, if you can make things happen within the STEM magnet, take advantage! From what I understand, soccer is a heavy driving sport. You want to save the family energy for sports travel. Some years can just about break you (ask me how I know!).

Early or advanced instruction in STEM and sports is the priority, because you can’t get this time back in these two areas. As the parent of a high level athlete looking to study MechEng, we doubled down in math and science classes some years, and are having a lighter science year this year due to sports demands. The transcript won’t be perfect for schools, but balancing both ain’t easy.

And I must say this, although it will be controversial - some posters here will insist that “it’s too early to know what they want to study in college.” That may be so in their kids’ case, and in the case of most students. No problem. However, there are exceptions. I was one. My kid is trending to be another - in that, MechEng suits their approach to math, science, art, etc. While also reflecting their lesser interest in other sub-genres of STEM.

The thing is, you can always pull back from certain paths. However, most STEM schools expect a student who does do a certain amount of STEM subjects and personal interests. And that usually means early exposure - classes, clubs, extra-curriculars.

You will probably have to compromise on your kid’s Mandarin, however. If he really cares about it, he will continue to self-study - watching language instruction videos online, as well as perhaps some shows. To not do the STEM magnate because he’s passionate about some language in middle school is quite the gamble. Again, he can continue on his own slowly over time and test out AP Mandarin in grade 10 - covering both his Mandarin passion and the rigor wanted from many adcoms.

1 Like

Oh I completely agree, especially since this family is aiming for very competitive colleges in five years or so. Why would one do the minimum…when so many other applicants will be doing the maximum in a traditional way?

6 Likes

Does the STEM school have a website with curriculum details or a course book? Many schools have something like this, which can help you get an idea of how it works, if it lists requirements and prerequisites, as well as a normal daily schedule.
If he is allowed to continue to take Mandarin outside of school and have it count for the HS Foreign language, what will he do with the extra period in HS? For example, in many schools it is possible to take the 5 core courses (Math Sci Eng His FL) plus a 6th core course(an extra STEM at stem schools, or for stem-y kids), plus an art. Would he be replacing the FL with a 3rd Stem course? That may not be allowed, and also would be quite difficult. Is he replacing it with a study hall?

Yeah, I have a good sense of what it would look like.

The kids have 8 periods instead of the regular 7. In 9th and 10th they take 4 stem classes a year (math, CS, two sciences), English Social Studies and two other classes, and then they have 2 other periods. If they didn’t take 2 years of language in MS they need that and they need a year of PE and a year of art and a year of health, although a lot of kids take the health online in the summer.

My thought is that he’d take both art and PE that first year, and then see where that leads him, and what he wants to do from there. It would br a little bit of an easier load than some other magnet kids, but harder than the non-magnet kids, and if you add the Chinese which would be live online it would be a lot.

Long term he could take extra stem but freshman year I am not sure there are options beyond the 4 basic classes.

He has met the graduation requirement for FL. So he doesn’t need them to allow him to count it. He needs the colleges to allow it but not the HS. Except for Princeton, which said they don’t provide advice on high school classes, and UVA which said “call us”, every school so far has come back with some variation of “we require 2 (or zero, or whatever your school replies) years and the MS classes count. We absolutely consider outside classes make sure you send the transcript.”

2 Likes

Do you mean to say that in 9th and 10th grades, all students are required to take math, CS, two sciences, English, social studies, and two other courses? Also, what is required for 11th and 12th grades?

Also, which of the options listed in post #149 looks most attractive to the student?

That is a lot of classes required ! It sounds intense but exciting for a Stem kid. Presumably, kids handle it well and place well, despite the intensity.

For your son, [quote=“Sportsball, post:158, topic:3628425”]
It would br a little bit of an easier load than some other magnet kids.
[/quote]

If he wants to keep the most competitive schools in serious contention, I don’t think it is a good plan to have him have an easier load than some other magnet kids in his school. Bottom line, a lot of us are coming around to versions of the same advice: he should not start on a path that could be viewed as not as challenging in all areas.

1 Like