TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I wonder how they analyze a student who’s school offers nothing basically. We live in a very small rural town, and for whatever crazy reason, our school offers pre-AP classes, yet no AP classes for after the pre-AP which I’ve never understood. My kiddo took all of the pre-AP and got straight A’s, which probably has no bearing since there was no AP to continue on to. No honors classes offered… nothing!

got six tabs today!!!

what major?

What are your Stats please? Congrats!!

@medgal and stats too please. And comgrats!

@thelma2 and @aggiemomhelp was there only one wave in January? I am convinced now that BIMS majors will be collected and pooled together for distribution to CSTAT or McAllen and won’t be released until February like others being directed to different pathways.

My son received his acceptance this morning, we are OOS

When did you apply:12/1
When did you get your UIN:12/4
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision:1/11
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Academic review- engineering
Major/College of Choice:Engineering- Civil
Did you get in:Yes
Honors program:Did not apply
Class Rank:1Q assigned by TAMU, school does not rank
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore):31ACT 32 Math

4.0 GPA, 8 AP’s
Played Lacrosse
Officer of Interact Club
Average amount of EC’s

Hello Everyone,

My major changed from Engineering Review to General Engineering (Computer Science)
Does this imply anything?

Sounds like maybe an engineering wave came out based on y’all posts this morning. 6 tabs… you’re in. Check the “manage application” page to see if cstat or if major changed. Should be like @Sumeetk27… General Engineering…

@nymom43 Your son is an academic admit but all engineering goes under review. I’m assuming he met the subscore of 27 for English on ACT to put him in academic admit. Congrats on engineering!!!

Another quiet day on the review admit front? Oh the waiting…

@BlueBayouAZ There seems to be a little review activity but hard to tell how large it was.

@AggieMomhelp

The major has changed from UNEN (earlier) to ENGE (present)

It looks like:
Texas A&M University - College Station Fall 2019
Level: Undergraduate
Major: ENGE
Program: BAC-ENGE-CS

But the Application Status says “Under Review”

My AIS says
Major: General Engineering (Computer Science)

I concur with @AggieMomhelp The only official A&M sites that require an applicant to log in are AIS and Howdy. A Tuesday admissions release date is not shown there, otherwise, you all would have it. It is likely that the site that stated this was a site about A&M that required login, like reddit r/aggies, etc.
Twitter Aggiebound is the only place that ever even hints at a decision time frame and that is rarely. All we can do is watch trends of release dates and those are not always true from one year to the next.

Like I have said before, class 2021 release dates and the types of decisions was vastly different than class 2022, which both differed from class 2020. In fact, we saw a first Oct 3 with a review admit release that are normally late Nov. So please, do not worry if a release date does not happen around the same dates as last year. Also, remember that engineering admission releases are completely from every other major decision release. We are expecting a lot of decisions in January for engineering majors, as many were deferred from the early decision of December decision date and those who applied by regular decision date are waiting for their normal January decision to general engineering. In fact, it looks like today is that day for some engineering majors.

@texag92 They don’t look at GPA because every school does not have the same grading profile. Her ACT is very good and can help place her higher perhaps when they combine it with her ranking to produce a predicted GPA she would earn at A&M. Also read below about PTA.

She will have to apply her Dual Credit classes and those that do not satisfy a requirement in the degree plan will be used as electives.

Taking a semester at a CC and transferring in is not quite that cut and dry. A lot depends on the major, having the necessary course work completed, have a minimum number of transferable hours (psychology requires 24), have a minimum GPA, which a competitive applicant will have higher. She could apply after one semester and would receive a decision after she sent in her spring grades.
Here is the transfer course sheet for a BS in psychology http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-transfer2018/LA18-Psychology-BS.pdf
Here is the transfer course sheet for a BA in psychology http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-transfer2018/LA18-Psychology-BA.pdf

@stressedout57 read the above paragraph. When you apply as a freshman, your application is processed by admissions. When you transfer, your application is processed by the department of the major you are wanting to transfer into. Here is the list of all of the transfer course sheets for all majors that lists the requirements and guidelines for transfer. http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors.

@texag92 @stressedout57 and anyone else interested, A&M has a program called Pathway Transfer Admissions or PTA that is guaranteed admissions after successful completion of the program and many majors participate but not Mays Business School or Dwight Look College of Engineering. A student starts off at a community college of their choice and fulfills the criteria. It requires a signed participation form to begin and also one upon completion. http://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA

@nervoustamumommy A&M takes what is offered at a school into consideration. As has been mentioned before, They want to see how a student has competed against those within their OWN environment and how they have utilized those tools and resources to the best of their ability.

@JaceyK There were a handful of BIMS majors last year that posted. Full admit was Jan 11. There were BIMS majors offered Blinn Team and Gateway (which were Feb decisions and each had two release dates)McAllen decisions came out on Feb 23 and the majors that were here were Ag Life Science, Nutrition, and there were 4 of them. A&M did expand HSC McAllen with the BIMS major beginning fall 2018 and last year was the first we saw it as an admission decision for applicants who applied to College Station. Here is a thread from last year with helpful information http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2058695-texas-a-m-higher-education-center-in-mcallen.html

@WaitingAgg It is more beneficial that you listed both parents education on your application than on the supplemental information.

@AggieGurl rank is considered because they want to know how well your child competed against those within their OWN environment and how they have utilized those tools and resources to the best of their ability. High schools across Texas also have differing grading profiles and those profiles undergo analysis along with the transcript. The test scores of the SAT and ACT are designed to measure a lot of specific criteria within the sub sections rather than just knowledge of a subject like a school subject test and are a better indication of college readiness. They don’t predict how a student will do in college, just their readiness. So, if her scores are really competitive, that may help her. 2Q applicants are at a disadvantage for several reasons. There are a small % of spots available to review admits as a whole due to state law requiring A&M to offer admission to all top 10% student, which for fall 2018, was 60% of enrolled students. Then they offer admission to all academic admits. Once they have done that, they then know how many offers of admissions they can extent to review admits. There are many 1Q applicants with competitive scores and other criteria that are considered that fill those spots. It is not that 2Q and some 3Q applicants don’t get some form of admissions, it just that the percentage is very small. A&M is not known for generosity of merit aid. They don’t have to offer it to attract high caliber applicants to apply and attend.

@Sumeetk27 Congratulations on being admitted to General Engineering at Texas A&M University College Station.

Dang @Thelma2 that’s what I call a response! Thank you for putting in so much effort behind your posts.

@thelma2 I agree with @aggiemomhelp that was awesome response. Thank you for your time!! :smiley: I was reading the admission statistics - is it really true that the acceptance rate for CSTAT for review admits is less than 7%?? @-) :(( :-SS

@JaceyK the percentage changes every year due to space and how many offers they can make to review applicants but from what an AO has said before, is that A&M tries to offer 30+% decisions to review admits. That is a combination of full admissions, Blinn Team, Blinn Engr Academy, McAllen Engr Academy, McAllen Higher Education Center, and Gateway to Success. for class 2017, it comes out to about 13% for full admission offers.

Working on the numbers with @BlueBayouAZ currently and she’s amazing. Have tentative figures for 2018. A&M doesn’t always spell everything out they way we want them to, so there is a lot of cross referencing the different reports on DARS from total offers of admission to enrolled students and figuring out the missing numbers by the numbers they do provide.

I can proudly state that I am not wordy when leaving voicemails. :smiley:

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp

If I am admitted, then where is the “WHOOP! you are admitted” line.
I am so worried

our son’s howdy went from 3 tabs to 6 this morning. How do I confirm that means he’s been accepted and where do I look to see if he was accepted to engineering as well? Thanks!