TAMU Class of 2023 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

@JaceyK - This is what the numbers look like for first time full time freshmen if you break out the DARS numbers (and if my math is correct)

Based on these numbers for the 10,097 first time/full time freshmen enrolled:
6052 were top 10% (60%)
2827 were top 25% (28%)
1010 were 25%-50% (10%)
202 were 50%-75% (2%)
None below 75%

This is where the DARS date comparing academic/review admit gets tricky.
2827 were top 25% (28%)
Based on the number of top 10% and total admitted and enrolled- we can assume similar number of academic admits enrolled. That allows us to estimate the number of review candidates enrolled that were top 25%.

I suspect that around 2,200 of top 25 percent enrolled were academic admits and around 630 were review.

In total - I think between 1622-1700 review applicants were offered admission and around 1,435 enrolled.

But is just me playing around with the data - I have no idea if it is accurate. But I feel like the number of review candidates enrolled is around 16-18% (2%+10%+6%-the review 1Q students) of the first time full time freshmen enrollment.

Thanks so much for your work on the statistics Thelma and Blue BayouAZ. The figures still seem pretty bleak for review candidates even if youā€™re an excellent student, first quarter, from a very competitive private school. Thankful to have other great options. Good luck to all!

For those admitted today, look under manage application tab on howdyā€¦ itā€™ll update major and show the Whoop. The whoop will also be on AIS later today or tomorrow. It can take a while, but rest assured 6 tabs at this stage means full admit to CS location. In February, the 6 tabs can also mean Team/Engineering/McAllen/Gateway. PSA will never get 6 tabs.

6 tabs today but no Whoop on Howdy and still says application status under review under manage applications. Maybe things will change later in the day. Even though TAMU isnā€™t my sonā€™s first choice, itā€™s great to know heā€™s been accepted if things change! Thank you all for the time you take in responding to us!

@momtoonly Yeah, sit tight, itā€™ll update soon. Howdy first then AIS. Congrats. Hope your son chooses Aggielandā€¦ great community on and off campus.

Yay!!! My OOS daughter got in on review admit today!!!
Hereā€™s the thing, she wanted Visualization, it was full, so they admitted her UNIV-General University.
She also plans to join the Corps of Cadets.
Any thoughts about choosing another major under UNIV?
Iā€™m so THRILLED!!
Gigā€™em!!!

@AggieMomhelp @Thelma2 Thank you for the reassurances. My son went to 6 tabs 12/20 & we have yet to see any major changes like the Whoop or the letter. I THINK his major has changed to general engineering, Iā€™ve looked at it so many times I canā€™t remember what is new and what isnā€™t. I need help, and probably not the kind any of you fine folks can give me lol. A&M is his first choice, but he has been accepted to his second with a financial incentive, so I know we are in a good position no matter the outcome at TAMU. Thatā€™s what I keep reminding myself with anyway. Continued wishes and prayers of Good Luck everyone!

Congrats @rockmom21 Yours is the first non engineering admit weā€™ve seen today. Wonder if a wave did go out. Last year it was on the 11th, so maybe soā€¦ DONā€™T freak out other parents, just a theory, not certain at all.

@rockmom21 what did you D put as 2nd choice major? Weird they put her in general studies. You get one semester in there but need to work towards new major (which she can choose now and change major on AIS). What did she want to do with Visualization degree?

@rockmom21 She can minor in Art with focus on new media. This offers her 15 hours and she can take some VIZ classes. So with that being saidā€¦ depending on what she really wants to do upon graduation, this minor may work perfectly into her plan.

@Thelma2 and @AggieMomhelp one more quick question does A&M engineering allow you to take with engineering major, Business as minor option? Is that a possibility?

@AAA124555 I believe you can minor with any major at TAMU. Not sure they can restrict you on that!

@AggieMomhelp thank you so much. I was trying to find this information from the engineering website but there is not enough information and no mention about this; if you can take a non-engineering minor. Thanks once again.

No problem. Check with advisor, of course, but I cannot imagine the answer would be no. ESPECIALLY, since people can actually minor in Engineering (that one I didnā€™t realize until this year).

Congrats to your daughter @rockmom21. Do you mind sharing your daughterā€™s stats? My daughter is a view candidate for Visualization - and I sure donā€™t like hearing that it is already full.

@AAA124555 The engineering student needs to be in a major before declaring a minor, so that would be, at earliest, after freshman year. He would have to go through his engineering department for approval. Here is the Mays Business School information on minoring. https://mays.tamu.edu/business-minors/
My engineering student had no difficulty getting approval for the business minor.

hello all, first poster here:

my D is applying to a non-engineering major
GPA - 3.236
SAT- 1230
school doesnā€™t rank-A&M ranked her 2Q

her school naviance scattergram : she is way above the GPA but is insde on the SAT. any chance that sheā€™ll get in. she is in-state but coming from a HS outside of TX (private-boarding). Thanks

@Thelma2 Thank you very much highly appreciate, this is very useful information. Thank you, my student is interested to take that as minor and so was trying to find out that information.

I GOT MY ADMIT LETTER!!!
THE UPDATE IS THERE ON THE AIS AND NOT ON HOWDY

When did you apply: 9/24
When did you receive your UIN: 9/26
When did you receive your admissions decision: Still in Review
Type of Admit: Review Admit
Major: 1st-Biology 2nd-Psychology
ACT: 22
Class Rank: 64/481 (13%)
GPA: 3.2 (unweighted)

-international baccalaureate student
-senior drill team lieutenant
-4 year national honor society member
-terpsichorean club member
-photography club member
-debate club member
-Spanish club member
-countless hours of volunteering with her local homeless shelter, school, church, community nursing homes and assistant livings and other organizations around her community

If anyone could tell me my daughters chances of getting in that would be great! We both are nervous wrecks while we wait!

hello, I mean first time poster :slight_smile:

from her schoolā€™s naviance scattergram : 5 applicants total in the last 3 years, 2/5 TAMU admissions, 0 enrolled. stats of the 2 who were admitted :

1. GPA - 3.4, SAT - 1380
  2. GPA - 2.48, SAT - 1280

ECs for my D:
VP of an student org in her HS
her singing group placed 2nd in Berklee festival
designs shirts for headmaster day for 2 consecutive years

itā€™s difficult to determine her chances, I would like to believe that sheā€™ll be able to based on stats of the 2 that were accepted from her school in the last 3 years. and if she is accepted sheā€™ll be the first thatā€™ll enroll as TAMU is her first choice. Appreciate if you can ā€œchanceā€ her. Thanks