TAMU out of state (RESIDENCY)

I’m an independent McKinney Vento (homeless student) US citizen that had lived in South America for 16 years. I moved to Texas in October 2021 and I have been living, attending high school, paying taxes since then (1 year 5 months). Texas A&M has labeled me as out of state because I’m unable to show my rent nor 12 consecutive months of not out of the counter work. But obviously I’m unable to prove this because of my homelessness.
Texas A&M is my dream school but RIT is offering 70000+ per year, Texas Tech 36000+, LeTourneau University 42000+, University of Houston 28000+
I will really appreciate any advice on what to do next.

Looks like in your situation, you want to choose the lowest net price out of schools suitable for your academic interests (e.g. intended major).

If those are financial aid grant or scholarship (not loan) amounts, would that make the net prices the following?

School List price Grant or scholarship Net price
RIT $72k $70k $2k
TTU $40k $36k $4k
LeTourneau $53k $42k $11k
Houston $40k $28k $12k

What intended major?

Those prices are with loans (9,500). I want to go for an industrial Engineering major and tamu gives me 20000+ with the same amount in loans

Texas A&M list price is $59k, so its net price would be $39k if it gave $20k scholarship or grant.

Subtracting the loan amount from the table above for the other schools gives this revised comparison:

School List price Grant or scholarship Net price
RIT $72k $60k $12k
TTU $40k $26k $14k
LeTourneau $53k $32k $21k
Houston $40k $18k $22k
Texas A&M $59k $20k $39k

Looks like RIT and TTU are your most financially realistic options.

1 Like

If you are homeless then how do you afford any of these.

A net price of $12k can be covered by $9.5k direct loans and $2.5k work earnings (part time during school). Note that the direct loan amount is $9.5k for independent students (which appears to include the OP) instead of the more common $5.5k for dependent students. Higher direct loans obviously mean more debt at graduation, which is not ideal, but it does seem possible for the OP to attend college if the rest of the amounts listed are grants or scholarships.

If the OP attends RIT or TTU, the OP would no longer be homeless, since the list prices include room and board.

1 Like

The OP already has an identical thread here.

Closing