TAMU - switching from OOS to in-state without a scholarship - how?

Have any OOS students successfully switched to in-state TAMU tuition without a scholarship? The rules seem pretty clear, so I am hoping to find someone who has successfully navigated this process through other means (buying a house, working, etc.). We are hoping to follow our son there, but the timing for in-state tuition doesn’t look to be in our favor.

Alternatively, what are the chances of getting $4,000 in scholarships starting sophomore year?

TIA

States make it difficult to get instate tuition for a reason. They don’t want to pay for out of state kids when there are so many instate kids, especially for Texas.
Your son would have to move here and establish a domicile himself, work and pay his bills and not be claimed on your taxes for 12 months preceding enrollment in a college/university. Doing the latter while attending school does not count. He must live and work prior to going to college. It must be a lease or ownership in his name, not yours. My brother, who lives in another state but still owns a rental house in Texas was hoping by owning that house in the state would qualify their son for instate tuition. It doesn’t.
If you moved to Texas, after you have been employed and lived here for 12 consecutive months, he would be eligible for instate tuition at the end of those 12 months for the upcoming semester.
Instate tuition waivers are very difficult to obtain.

Fall 2017, 145 tuition waivers were obtained out of 421 oos students. 90 of those 145 went to engineering majors. 12 went to Agriculture and Life Sciences, 11 went to Science majors, 8 went to Mays School of Business majors, 8 went to Liberal Arts majors, 5 went to Veterinary College BIMS majors, 5 went to Geo-science majors, 3 went to Geo-Science majors, 3 went to General Studies majors, 1 went to Architecture major, 1 went to Education and Human Development major, 1 went to Public Health major,

Fall 2018, 166 tuition waivers were obtained out of 466 oos students. 109 of those went to engineering majors, 18 went to Liberal Arts majors, 11 went to Mays School of Business majors. 7 went to Agriculture and Life Sciences, 7 went to Veterinary College BIMS majors, 5 went to Science majors, 3 went to General Studies majors, 2 went to Architecture majors, 1 went to Education and Human Development major, 0 went to Public Health major,

Once the parents do move here, you get to apply the instate reclassification after you have been living here for 12 months. If that is a solid plan for your family, consider a gap year (optimize timing for the semester start date). I know there is internet lore for OOS reclassification of the student particularly around UT, about buying a home for your kids results in instate, but if you can find recent examples, I would be surprised. That would have been back when property prices (and property taxes!) in Austin made that worthwhile. Not so sure that is a thing now.

I have an upperclassman OOS student there presently paying OOS rates with no waiver. She loves it and we are happy with Tamu and her experience there. I have exhaustively researched In state tuition options over the past few years. It is very difficult to qualify for in state tuition, and almost impossible if your student is a dependent student. OOS scholarships are few, much less $4,000 a year in scholarships. Academic excellence as an upperclassman is no guarantee either of later scholarships. You need to be prepared to pay 4 years of OOS tuition for your OOS student at Tamu. Don’t give up trying but the reality is that given the TX residency rules on tuition, the price tag is going to be high.