Tesla Model Y

The folks who use gas quickly don’t have to be as concerned about getting only ethanol-free gas but those of us who only use very small amounts, like us PHEV folks need to find places to get the alcohol-free versions. The alcohol is very hard on engines and parts, especially when it sits there for extended periods. H is also careful to get alcohol free gas for his lawn mower.

You can search online for stations that carry ethanol free gas.

2 Likes

Sorry, but no. I’ve posted extensively on the other ev thread so I’ll keep this brief. I do very little short range driving. My driving is almost all full day road trips. Anything that makes that more difficult is not for me. I posted the details of a recent trip which took me through rural parts of PA, Ohio, TN, and WV. In many of those places I there were very few charging stations. The town of Gatlinburg TN, where I spent a week has two charging stations according to the app someone recommended on that thread. The entire country is not at the same level.

You stop at way more gas stations than I make stops at public EV chargers. 95% of my charging is done at home in my garage just like I mostly charge my phone at home.

I live in North Carolina. I go to the mountains quite often and it is really no problem at all to find a charger. Tennessee is not hard to find a charger in. I don’t know about OH or PA, but I’m sure it’s not too hard in the cities. One place that you might not think of that has chargers is Harley Davidson dealers.

I could not be more pleased with my Chevy Bolt. It’s a great vehicle. Best I’ve ever owned for sure.

We also have 3 PHEVs in the family and the straight EV blows them all away. So much more maintenance on the PHEVs.

3 Likes

@Sweetgum , yes to all you stated. I live outside Philadelphia. I also do 99.9% of my charging at home because I usually drive below 250 miles/day but there is a Supercharger at a Wawa 15 minutes away. Having perused ABRP, Plugshare, Electrify America and other charger brand websites, they tag all public chargers in any defined area or route. In most of PA, there are no issues of available infrastructure. The L3 network is quickly expanding and L2 destination chargers are becoming more and more common. Even the garage at my dr’s office has 9 L2 chargers I can plug into (without cost) if I wish. Give it another year and public chargers will be almost as common as gas stations. Between Tesla Superchargers and destination chargers, L3 and L2 chargers from other companies, my Mobile Connector that can plug into any 120 or 240 volt outlet, my J1772 and CCS1 adapters, I would be hard pressed to find myself somewhere without the ability to charge.

2 Likes

I encouraged my wife test drive the Model Y as possibly her next car and the showstopper was the non-adjustable headrest which was positioned in a way that gave her a headache within 5 minutes of driving – that didn’t go away for an hour afterward. I don’t understand why they would have such an aggressive headrest then make it totally non-adjustable. Her second issue, not quite a showstopper, was the lack of a traditional blind spot monitor light. The camera view in the center console screen was an inadequate substitute and it’s literally her favorite feature of her car.

The headrest would be a firm “no” for me. The camera thing (coupled with warning sensors for backing in or out if tight spots) is absolutely amazing and is IMO so much better than the blind spot checkers, but it might take a few drives to get used to.

I didn’t like the camera alternative either in my test drive. If it was a redundant addition to the simple alert light on the side view mirror it would be great, but as a substitute it wasn’t. There’s a bunch of issues. It wasn’t as quick and safe to have to focus on the center screen and observe what the camera showing as opposed to the traditional light on the side view mirror. That light can often be seen with peripheral vision and in any event is part of the natural action of checking your side mirror. Whereas the camera view is in the opposite direction of the side mirror. Also, the camera view was kind of distracting – it took a second to orient your view and process what you are seeing. Whereas the simple light can be instantly processed. Again, I don’t have a problem with he camera view, just with the lack of a light in the mirror. It was an annoying omission, but not a showstopper. But a car that gives you a headache every time you drive it was. I’m taller so it wasn’t a problem for me.

Many cars have head restraints more forward than in the past, in order to get good scores on whiplash crash tests. But that may be uncomfortable for some drivers, particularly those who set the seat back angle closer to vertical.

1 Like

sorry to hear it was not a good fit. Had the same issue when I first jumped in, but back in '18, Tesla had a lot of folks in the stores to show how to make adjustments The seats are extremely adjustable. It took me awhile to get the correct height, recline & lumbar support where it was comfortable. (I was fiddling with it for days.) But now, it fits great.

But I do agree on the lane change sensors. My daughter’s small Audi has excellent sensors, on the side mirrors. Fantastic when driving in heavy traffic. IMO, just not natural to look right (to the Tesla screen) when one wants to turn left.

I am going to have to agree here. My wife is main driver of the Model Y. She’s never raised an issue with the headrest. As you say, how you position the seat may be the difference.

From the few times I have driven the car, the back window is indeed very small.

That being said, my wife and our kids LOVE this car.

Perhaps this is a literal case of YMMV.

My relative, a dermatologist vetoed the teslas for her and family due to glass instead of metal roof, which she feels increases risk of melanoma.

Yikes. I never thought about that.

What I did feel, however, in the summer of 2021 when we did the Model Y test drive, and as mentioned upthread, was that that the glass roof made the car seem hotter. I did/do wonder why Tesla didn’t provide for a screen for the glass roof.

Yesterday, we were on a NorCal freeway, and we saw a Tesla with a broken back window driving next to us. I mentioned to my D that it seems that, on the Model Y, the roof and the back window is a single piece and that it might be very expensive to replace.

Roof shades are available from both Tesla and aftermarket suppliers.

2 Likes

Tesla changed the seats since then and their reps say the headrest is now totally up as unadjustable unfortunately.

That is strange comment for a scientist and a derm. As most physics students learn, regular glass blocks most UV rays, and regular manufacturer tinted glass gets even more. Add in the double laminate, adn blockage is in the high 90’s. Of course, the tint companies will sell even more blockage by a darker tint film.

One probably gets more UV rays from a short walk on the beach than a 3+ hour drive in a Tesla.

OTOH, the glass roof does contribute to a more noisy cabin.

2 Likes

yes, my headrest is fixed too. I just adjusted teh recline so the headrest moved back.

1 Like

That is a prime example of why docs need to be knowledgeable in physical sciences. I suspect the real reason for not buying a Tesla for his kid was something else.

Tesla has special coating on its glass:

1 Like

Regarding glass, we pay for full glass coverage rider on our auto policy. Came in handy when the back window of the junky truck got in the way of a flying stump (lol). $700 for that measly piece on an old Toyota! Maybe too expensive in CA where car break ins are a big issue.

Wow. Am I ever stunned! And in a very good way.

I was just reviewing our PG&E bills for the last several months, including the most recent ones. As some are you are aware, we are now charging both the Tesla and the PHEV religiously.

There is almost NO difference in our bills over the last several months, including times where I wasn’t charging the PHEV as much.

Given that gas is something like $6.50/gallon here, courtesy of our “beloved” oil companies, the hurricane,and the twin pillars of democracy in the cartel OPEC (specifically, MBS and Putin), I am so glad we have these EVs.

We fastidiously adhere to the TOU rates, so that’s a major biggie in keep the electricity bills down.

Although we spent a bit to upgrade the main electric panel (which was required in any case) and putting a 60 amp charging station, we might actually get the imbalance between the price of gas and the price of electricity to actually pay for the upgrades.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the 2022 federal tax breaks for installing a home charging station, if any, are?

The federal credit for installing a home charger, which had expired at the end of 2021, was extended for ten years. 30% of total cost as a federal tax credit.

1 Like