Test prep advice

On a local board a parent was asking about a tutor for the PSAT for an incoming sophomore. Another parent said, “I think the best “prep” is to take the test, and students do not have to wait until junior or senior year to take the ACT or SAT. Your child could sign up for the August SAT with absolutely no risk that a “bad” score will impact any university applications later. Alternatively (or in addition), take PSAT practice tests in advance. Information is on the College Board website”.

So do you think students should start taking the SAT and ACT early and often?

When I was in high school decades ago, I did 15 minutes of less of test prep, which was trying the practice questions in the booklet that included the sign-up sheet.

But for someone who wants to do more test prep, the best way to start is to try an old released test under test conditions (time limits per section, etc.), grade it, and then use the results to find out what type of questions are the ones the test taker needs to focus test prep on.

For some students, it may be worth trying both the ACT and SAT old released tests, since some students do much better on one than the other.

Generally, I would say that a reasonable testing schedule for a student who will apply to colleges using the SAT or ACT would be:

• 11th grade, fall: PSAT if NM or CBNRP is a possibility.
  • 11th grade, spring: SAT and ACT, or just whichever one was better if practice testing has already determined one to be better for the student
  • 12th grade, fall: optional retry of SAT or ACT (whichever was better initially, after any additional test prep if desired)

I’m not really sure why this got moved to learning differences. But the parent was arguing that “high caliber” students should start taking the ACT and SAT for real by sophomore year as practice. And just keep taking them. I thought it was unusual advice.

I understand the point about taking a test in the summer prior to junior year, assuming the student has had at least algebra 2.

I also believe prepping for and taking the SAT can be good practice for the PSAT…especially if becoming an NMF is important for the student financially speaking (in which case prepping and taking practice tests is a must).

Many athletes who want to be recruited take a test prior to junior year/early that year too, because recruiting at some levels starts in earnest at the beginning of jr year.

I wouldn’t suggest continuing to test if a good score is achieved.

1 Like

My D’s HS did a practice ACT in 10th grade, not counted, and then test prep the summer before junior year and before school in the Fall of junior year. Most students took the PSAT Fall of junior year and then the state required ACT in the winter.

The school didn’t recommend practicing with an official test because back then there were still a bunch of schools that required all attempts to be reported.

I personal don’t see the point in paying to take an official test when you can simulate timed conditions with old tests.

2 Likes

Me neither, so I moved.

What crappy advice. It is far better to take a timed practice test, preferably for both SAT and ACT. Based on results, the students can decide which test is better for further prep.

3 Likes

100%. Now, if we were to go back 50 years when the only way to take a practice test was to sign up for a real test date and take a real test, maybe, but there is no need for the time machine. Every test prep company I know offers this as a first step. And when you have a decent score, stop!

For a lot of students, getting this done before junior year can help with the timeline, but that generally works best for students who already have enough math. (Many do, btw) If you need to learn the math to take the test, you’ll be better off learning it in school and delaying testing.

1 Like