Thank you

We are packing like crazy people, getting gas in cars, and heading to Tuscaloosa this week to move our DD into her dorm for the start of Recruitment, and her first year at UA. I wanted to take a minute to thank each of you this year who answered all our crazy questions from Honors College, to University Fellows, to Computer Based Honors, to dorms, to CLEP to restaurant and hotel choices. Although the DD did the academic hard work to qualify for Honors, and we did the planning and choice of college ultimately…along the way a lot of folks answered some strange questions. A shout out (at the risk of not remembering everyone, if you are not mentioned, please know you are still appreciated and revered in this process):

1. mom2collegekids…for great Bama insight, but even willing to answer the question before Fellows weekend of , “do girls wear tights in February in Alabama?”
  2. bamagirls…who gave me great insight into the “doing it all” academically while reminding us that DD had to have a Lit class no matter how many AP credits she brought to campus—a direct miss on our part.
  3. kjcphmom…for all the insight on Chem 101 profs and the class
  4. Lucie The Lakie…for wisdom, insight and thoughts on a myriad of topics both important and random
  5. bamagirls18…for tolerating our RCS vs Tut debate before selecting housing
  6. ccforlife…for the CLEP information which led to an exemption in Spanish and a lighter first semester load
  7. MontessoriMom2…for everything she’s done in giving me minute details into making these first few weeks at Bama a success

The University of Alabama has given our DD the chance of a lifetime…she just has to execute upon the gifts that have been given to her. We are extremely grateful to each of you for your wisdom, insight and patience with us. Thank you.

Roll Tide.

ROLL TIDE!!

Roll Tide!

Roll Tide!

Hi! Just curious about “having to have a lit class no matter the AP credits.” Even if I would come in with 5’s on both AP lang and AP Lit (hopefully!), I would still need to take a lit class?

^yes
See this link

http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/creditbyexamination.pdf

Do you know why this is? Do the two AP classes just not give enough credit to fulfill the recruitment?

Thanks for the thanks, @swim4school! How is rush going?

@southernbound18 For the longest time, there was no add’l credits for both AP’s. A few years ago, UA added the Humanities credit if you get a 4+ on both AP English classes.

What is your child’s major? The Col of Eng’g doesn’t require a L class.

If you need a rec for a lit prof, Susan Reynolds is amazing.

LucietheLakie; recruitment has been a whirlwind. The only people more tired than those being recruited are the actives! Those kids are killing it this week! It has been rough for a lot of girls, as there are record numbers of potential new members this year all vying for the same 16 sororities. Today is Bid Day! I am sure there will be video on You Tube by this evening of the girls running to their new sororities.

No lit for engineering? Ok, that seals the deal!

I hope it went well for your daughter, @swim4school! She’ll be fine regardless.

LOL, @Nerdyparent!

@mom2collegekids Do you know about lit for a business major? Thanks for your help!

All non-engineering majors require a lit class. Students typically have a choice of 6+ classes (World, English, and American Lit, versions I and II). They are all taught at the same level and do not build on each other. I ended up taking American Lit II as I wanted to read works from that era.