That bottom 25 percent

<p>On the UW admissions sheet it says that 25 percent of admitted students have stats below a 3.5 and 27 ACT. I am wondering if most of these spots are athletes and minority students. It seems that I use this as drive to do better in school and drive myself to work harder to apply to UW-Madison. It is kind of reasurring that not everyone there has those high stats, but are the lower 25% of admitted students in that info all recruited athletes,mminorities, etc...?</p>

<p>i don't think it can possibly be all minorities/athletes as there are hardly any minorities at UW (diversity isn't really their strong suit) and athletes cannot make up that large of a percentage either.</p>

<p>Remember, half of the students will always be below the median, likewise 1/4 of the students have to be the bottom 25%. Giving the middle half (25-75%) scores is helpful in knowing where you are relative to most of your potential peer group. When looking at schools it is useful to know if you will be with students who vary greatly from yourself or who are close to your abilities. Some of those admitted students may be underachievers who didn't feel motivated to get the grades they are capable of but showed the school they will do the work in college (maybe by improving grades that don't offset early poor ones, there is a long list of reasons). The important factor is where you fit relative to the markers. Do you want to be at a school where most students did better than you did, perhaps meaning you will have to work harder to get the same grades? If you choose a school where you have much better stats will you feel you aren't getting as much as you could from college? Public schools have Honors programs to accomodate students who could do the work at elite schools but for various reasons are at the state school. Do not worry about those with lesser credentials, concern yourself with how the middle half relates to your own stats. The academic flavor of the student body will be determined by those middle people, do you feel it will be a good fit for you?</p>

<p>In practice the competition will be tougher in the tougher majors. Many of the less qualified students will be in the education school, some of the ag majors, and some of the easier liberal arts majors. Engineering, sciences and business tend to get the better students.</p>

<p>Wis- I feel kind of pathetic with my sitatuation. 9th and 10th grade I felt I just needed to get by do what I had to do. Now I realize how stupid I was, when I first found out about this great school I wanted to drive myself because I thought to myself "wow I really want to be here". Now I'm working my ass off and trying to go above and beyond and bring my GPA up. Although I dealt with some personal issues in 10th grade I'm trying to push myself, however even with a great GPA this year and next I'm going to end at around a 3.3 or 3.4 But all I can do is strive to do better. Im trying for that middle 50% but I'm just trying to see where I stand</p>

<p>Improving grades mean more than a steady mediocre gpa. Hopefully you are earning mostly A's and a few B's now. That would show UW that you could be successful there. If you don't do well in HS you may not be as well prepared for the classes and rigorous pace and should go to a school that is a better fit for you. You don't want to go to Elite U and struggle so that you learn less than you would at Good U. A degree from another U is better than flunking out of UW.</p>

<p>All that said, you will know your Jr yr grades and test scores this spring, check them against the chart and apply if you think you have a chance. If you are accepted UW also thinks you can succeed there; if not be sure you have applied to other schools and happily attend one of them. A lot will happen in the next few years as you grow and mature.</p>

<p>Yes I know I am planning on several other schools, however Madison is my dream. My GPA for junior year was 3.7 UW for the first semester. Hopefully if I keep this up and take the college classes next year I will be on track. All I can do now is work hard. I think I am capable of the work at UW, I just had a bit of a troubled past. I have teachers that can vouch for me in rec's. But thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you, boomer.</p>

<p>Thanks dbwes, I'll need it.</p>

<p>Good luck. Your most recent efforts will pay off, stay encouraged, your chances have improved vastly with hard work.</p>