The annual boarding school dirty laundry thread

<p>@ChoatieMom Might’ve told him once or twice… but don’t worry, he basically is revenge! :D</p>

<p>Yes, I think it’s creepy too!</p>

<p>I thought I remember E&R Laundry service at Groton costing over $1,000.00 for the basic service. My son graduated in 2011 so maybe the price went down or my memory fails me. My daughter will start 3rd form at Choate in the fall and I am debating the service for her. I think if the machines are in her dorm (some are, some aren’t) I will have her do her own. I’ve discussed this with her and she is on board - only because she feels someone else doing her laundry is an “invasion of her privacy”. Let’s see how long she thinks that when the laundry is piling up….</p>

<p>Groton has a long weekend coming up. I asked my 2nd-form daughter what she was planning to do with her time on campus since she won’t be able to come home (we live too far away). She replied that she wants to catch up on housekeeping, including laundry! Let me tell you, her two brothers, who are still at home, plead ignorance and then quickly disappear when anyone even suggests they do a load of wash. And if they actually do throw some clothes in the washer, they sit there or in the dryer so I end up finishing the “project” anyway. My oldest daughter had E&R for two years and I was very much on the E&R bandwagon but, I have to say, I’m rapidly becoming a fan of my kids doing their own laundry, if only because it teaches them a level of responsibility that I am apparently not too good at teaching at home.</p>

<p>Might as well call this the Groton Laundry Thread! ;)</p>

<p>E and R prices vary by school. To find out, you really need to call them.</p>

<p>What does E&R actually stand for?</p>

<p>Ooh, stargirl! Good one. Let’s guess.</p>

<p>Everything Washed & Returned Too?</p>

<p>Economical Reservations!</p>

<p>I like the first one. Just a thought… What possibly goes on behind the scenes there would make a great short story…</p>

<p>Enzymes and Ridicule? </p>

<p>Sending my big, annual laundry raspberry out @Parlabane.</p>

<p>If your kid has to wear a shirt and tie every day and a suit coat often, laundry service is worth it IMO. The extra cost for the look sharp service ended up being cheaper than sending in the stained ties and suitcoats a la carte. If your kid is an athlete and wears thick polyestery uniforms that get super stinky, laundry service keeps his room from stinking. </p>

<p>However, next year, in college, he’ll be doing his own laundry </p>

<p>We do look sharp E&R too - for my D, the blouses are ironed and sweaters come back on hangars, which is much, much better that jammed into the bag - they were clean, but looking wrinkled and smushed with the basic service.</p>

<p>Ok, so it seems like E&R pulls a fast one to goad you into buying the full service. We have used them for the “Look Sharp” in the past but I did not know that they basically return clothes in the bag for the “Basic” service. Nice heads up. Will have to consider this when making a decision. Just an aside, does anyone know how they cornered the market on most of the BS on the east coast? I also wonder if there are statistics that show how many students use it at BS where it is optional?</p>

<p>If I’m remembering correctly, shirts came back pressed and on hangers with the basic service. Pants, not so much. If I didn’t have a boy who wears ties all the time, I’d go basic. They get blanket/comforter cleaning too–I think with look sharp. But that would involve actually sending the blanket or comforter in. </p>

<p>Just got back from family weekend at son’s school w/ no laundry service. Yes, one could tell by walking into his room that laundry services were indeed needed. But, with no laundry at our hotel, and just one month to go…gave him a nice jumbo-sized deodorizer for his room. :)</p>

<p>Today in Making Them Do It for Themselves Theatre…</p>

<p>DS: “Mum, how do I iron my shirt so it doesn’t look so ironed?”</p>

<p>I may have mentioned this before but when E&R lost 2 pair of my son’s pants, they sent me a check to replace them. No receipt required - they just asked how much they were. I had gotten them on sale, but the replacement cost was full price, and so they sent me the full price replacement cost.</p>

<p>One suggestion for parents of new boarding boys: buy their pants long. They will shrink in an industrial washer, the kids will grow and God forbid someone mention to your son that his pants are “a little short”. And good luck finding 31 x 34 pants… :)</p>

<p>Leafy, my son is 31 x 34 too. Try Old Navy, they have a great selection of twill pants in that size, in different colors and fits. I’ve found them to hold up quite well, plus they’re inexpensive enough that when they get too short, it’s no big deal to buy more.</p>