The annual boarding school dirty laundry thread

<p>@cameo43 It is even more icky for the person taking the clothes out of the dryer. I hate to touch someone else’s clothes or undies. Still, the laundry must be done!</p>

<p>Wrinkle-free LL Bean men’s shirts FTW. Not plasticky at all (what’s placticky?).</p>

<p>They offered me a $25.00 Vineyard Vines gift card and I caved. I’m so weak.</p>

<p>Brooks Brothers boys button-down shirts are on sale now for 3 for $129. S2 can still wear size 20. The boys shirts are 40% cheaper than the Mens shirts.</p>

<p>Recent discovery I wanted to share that my 9th grade son is digging: Van Heusen. </p>

<p>I was very surprised - I always thought of them as a store for old people (ahem, DH and me) to buy inexpensive sweaters and such for work. </p>

<p>But apparently they have younger (read: more slim-fitting) dress shirts in “cool” colors and patterns that are WRINKLE-FREE (seriously, wash to hanger) and inexpensive! Under $30 for the shirts, and lots of BOGO ties and other promotions. They also have slim-fit, flat front khakis and dress pants that come out of the wash without need for ironing as well. Also quite inexpensive. And lots of v-neck sweaters that work well with tie. </p>

<p>It’s a store that also sends tons of promotional deals when you sign up for their email list. </p>

<p>With a shirt and tie dress code, this is saving our keester and our wallet. He is a bit of a clothes horse, and picky about what he wears so I am feeling like we lucked out that he is jazzed about a brand that is not super high-end. Especially because he has grown two inches since June and I am sure he will not spend too long in any one size these next couple of years. </p>

<p>Just chiming in. Had a bad experience at E&R. After paying thru the nose for student #1 for four years, then student number 2 for 2 years, they lost her somewhat pricey tie dye Pottery Barn brand new quilt. I think it was about $149. When she went to pick it up at laundry hut, she was given a ratty old quilt. When she said it wasn’t hers, they said, no problem, fill out a lost slip and you’ll get reimbursed. No form to be found anywhere on website.</p>

<p>When parents called customer service, we were told they had no record of any quilt ever being dropped off by her. They wanted to check the video tapes to see if she had indeed dropped it off. She had put it in her laundry bag as instructed, so no video would show her dropping it off. After many more calls giving them the requested time to “research” the problem, they concluded that she was lying and we her parents were spending inordinate amounts of time making it all up because we wanted the $149 after we had already spent something like $4700 to them for 6 years of laundry service. I asked the customer rep to go back to customer rep training because my husband and I had a lot better things to do, like see our patients and doing other “doctor” things, instead of spending inordinate amounts of time on the phone with them making up a roos. That we get our jollies and kicks from a lot more interesting ways. In the end, the customer service rep’s manager had the authority to reimburse us, and understood it was in their best interest to make good on the $149. For us it was the principle of the matter.</p>

<p>What I wanted to do was threaten to go to the local church in Wallingford and ask if anyone wanted to make $900 a year doing her small laundry load once a week and take a way business from them. I was hoping some entrepreneur in the community might want to do a start up and compete with these folks who didn’t know the first thing about customer service. Quilt was never returned, but we were eventually reimbursed, but not without a boat load of time and consternation spent on it. Said Junior now has another PB quilt purchased on line and sent to school.</p>

Bumped for @payn4ward‌ :smiley:

Why stop here @GMTplus7 ?? Isn’t there a BS Sex and Hooking Up thread somewhere ? Why not freak everyone out at once and just get it over with?? :slight_smile:

Hey… some of us are just starting the day… :wink:

@Photographermom - if that’s the case, can we just cover drugs and alcohol too and get them all done??

Here you go. Start with these:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/1646687-in-loco-parentis-what-does-this-mean-to-bs-parents-how-do-you-view-the-overt-sexuality-p1.html

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/1311971-talk-to-your-kids-about-adderall.html

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/581334-drugs-sex-and-you-at-boarding-schools.html

I thought this would be a thread about BS secrets and bad stories…oops. My mom said I can learn to do my own laundry at school - she thinks it’s over the top to pay for someone to do my clothes…so, I guess I will be washing!

Our washing machine is broken :-t

I signed my 3rd form daughter up for the E&R laundry service because I thought it would be one more thing she wouldn’t have to worry about while having to manage life on her own for the first time. Within 2 weeks she complained that they were losing things and started doing her laundry on her own. I will not pay for it next year. My son had the service his entire time at boarding school and never complained. I just think he didn’t notice…

Boys will wear other people’s clothes (that are three sizes too big) without noticing. True Story.

I think they do notice when frilly undies and bras get mixed in with their boxers and khakis.

Throwback to that one summer at sleepaway camp when the 12-year-old boys got the bras in their laundry bags…

So, there is a separate laundry service in addition to the mandatory $180 “Linen Fee” at Exeter?

The mixups are so true! I’ve always thought it was intentional, bored laundry folk looking for a little fun. It happens way too often.

E&R seems to have a monopoly and their quality of service reflects that.

First year thoughts thus far…E&R very sensitive to label-reading and dry cleans much more than needed. The result at NMH for our D is the challenge of Dry cleaning having to be picked up at a central location vs. laundry which is delivered to dorm. Since they dry clean so much, my D doesn’t have time to make p/u runs and therefore is doing more of her own laundry in the dorm basement. Sad part is the E&R is mandatory at NMH b/c of high boarding rate.

@CroissantMiser‌ - Interesting how schools do things differently. SPS is 100% boarding but E&R is still optional. We didn’t take the option but I know dry cleaning is delivered to individual dorms at SPS because I’ve seen it hanging there during visits.