The M10 Freak Out Thread Applicants 2015

Wasn’t meant to be harsh @HistoryGeek40, just curious. Enjoy your trip.

@jcubed2014‌ Congrats!! Good luck at whichever school you end up at!

woohoo!

When does the Exeter package come in? Judging from previous years, they’re always kinda late, but when can they be expected to come in this year?

I’m so sorry for your rejections and waitlists :frowning: :frowning: :open_mouth: but u guys had such great applications that I think all of you should have gotten in to at least one school. This def makes me soooooo nervoous for only applying to Exeter and Andover next year (I’m a 7th grder)… :-B :-/ I’m worried… Any tips you guys have? Is anyone going to create a M10 freakout thread 2016 @SevenDad ?? ~X( =D>

Srry, I meant any tips FOR the M10 day?

@Anonymousia yes: apply to more schools for M10 lol :slight_smile:

Ummmm, research additional schools that would be appropriate and apply to those where you would be happy to attend, if accepted (in addition to Andover and Exeter.)

Way too early for that.

@anonymousia If you have read through this thread you should know you should apply to more schools than just two, and also ones of different acceptance rates. (don’t just add Groton and Deerfield and think you have cast a wide net)? There are so many helpful threads here. Listen listen listen to the advice. If you are coming here for advice, listen to it.

I know, but for reasons I’d rather not state, I can’t apply to any schools other than exeter and andover

@anonymousia ah ok. Well good luck!

@anonymousia the best advice anyone can give you in that case is do not get your hopes up. Do not tell all your friends you are applying to BS, prepare for disappointment and hope for the best

@Anonymousia: It’s definitely risky applying to only two schools, especially the two most selective ones in the country. Both @goldenfygg and I can speak from experience as we too only applied to only Andover and Exeter this year. Unfortunately, I was rejected at both and goldenfygg was waitlisted at Andover and denied at Exeter, so there were no happy endings here. I can tell you that my biggest regret is not applying to more schools (though I did start the process late), so even if you have the smallest chance of being able to apply to another school that you love, I highly recommend it.

If you absolutely cannot apply to any other schools, I would recommend starting some things now for the application process. Develop good relationships with your teachers and principal/guidance counselor. You don’t have to be the teacher’s pet, just be polite and respectful and work hard in their classes. Also ensure that the person doing your personal/extracurricular recs knows you quite well and can give them an accurate, yet excellent picture of you. Gain some practice in talking to adults as well. This will come in handy when you have your interview.

Find a passion if you don’t already have one. Develop and further nurture your passions. Make sure to mention them in your essays and interviews. Perhaps you and your interviewer could even connect on that part.

Become involved in some kind of leadership activity. Exeter and Andover love leaders (on Exeter’s “Welcome, Future Exonians!” page this year, Michael Gary said that “the large number who hold leadership positions” were admitted. Source: http://www.exeter.edu/news_and_events/news_events_17556.aspx. Andover’s admitted class for last year mentioned something along the same lines, that the majority of their admitted class held leadership positions.

Good luck!

What are ways I can form a good relationship with my counselor/principal? My school is so big and there also isn’t a lot of oppurtunities to talk to them.

One word: hook.

Define hook.

I think I had too many “hooks…” So yes, pleaasseee keep it singular. They are right :slight_smile:

Have most people got their acceptance/financial aid letters from various schools in the mail? I’m just trying to gauge when I should start wondering why I haven’t gotten it yet!

Sometimes the best hook is the unusual one. I’ve know kids who got in who had unusual interests like competitive ballroom dancing, bagpipes, designing their own clothes, etc.

Ilovewaterpolo - we got the Exeter financial aid email yesterday and online enrollment contract today. Nothing in snail mail.

I haven’t gotten the information about $$ at NMH…