The move in process for OOS students

<p>My D2 and I were wondering about this. D1 attends a university that has 75% OOS students so they have the move-in process down to a fine science. They send detailed directions with printed box labels since the majority of kids ship everything and fly in. Fedex trucks line up and you go and pick up boxes on move in day. We were wondering if UA does any of this? If kids ship boxes, how does pick up occur? I am thinking that there probably is not such a detailed process as UA is about 5x bigger than D1’s place and logistically dont know how they would serve all those students. No problem if they dont, just wondering if we should plan on driving her down with all her stuff.</p>

<p>UA has the Paty Hall Pkg Delivery Center, you can have your pkgs sent ahead.
I believe housing will allow you to take a rolly cart over to Paty to pick things up on move -in weekend if you have a lot and in the days to follow.
[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/package.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/package.cfm)</p>

<p>We had many items shipped to Paty ahead of move-in and also did site-to-store to WalMart and store pick up to Home Depo (book shelves/storage). H drove down w/D in her vehicle and I flew in so we did have two cars which was nice. We went enough days ahead of move-in that we were able to pick things up from Paty and the local stores the week prior to Outdoor Action move-in, this allowed us to get things all unpacked and organized for move in day. But I know of some people who flew in that weekend, rented a car once there, did their pick-ups at Paty and shopped that weekend who made out fine. </p>

<p>Move in day is very organized if driving up w/car(s) loaded, you honestly don’t lift a finger until you begin to organize the room, they have a huge staff of volunteers and students who unload your car(s) and bring it all up to the room. We were very impressed.</p>

<p>Move in at UA is actually incredibly organized, considering the size of the school. The only dorm that is extremely crowded is Tutwiler, for those moving in early for rush. I moved in early to Riverside and did not have to wait at all! As trvlbug said, they have people who bring everything up to your room; you really do not have to do anything.</p>

<p>I shipped, quite literally, about 30 packages to Paty that I picked up either the day before or day of move-in. Aside from the woman working there thinking I was certifiably insane, I had no issues picking things up – never even had to wait in line.</p>

<p>I flew down with my mom from NJ, checked four suitcases (two each) with clothes, shoes, and a few other necessities. I actually didn’t ship anything from home; everything I either packed or ordered online and had shipped to school (all my linens and everything else for my dorm).</p>

<p>Moving in from OOS is definitely stressful and involves a lot of planning, but as long as you’re organized it is not too bad!</p>

<p>For the past two years, I have flown down from WA by myself with 2 checked bags and taken an airport shuttle to campus. I usually ship 2-4 boxes to Paty (UPS and FedEx offer good discounts if you have an eBay account and print shipping labels online) and order other items online and ship to Paty. If you go at a quiet time ie noon, you can take a cart over and pick up your packages. </p>

<p>One of the Week of Welcome activities is a late night shopping event at Target. That is a good time to pick up food and other essentials.</p>

<p>It’s surprising how little one actually needs, especially if one has a meal plan. Each year I bring less and less and still end up thinking that I brought too much.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info everyone. We are planning on driving to BB so I will decide after that if I want to do the 10.5 hour drive again in August.</p>

<p>Ours was 11…by the time we got to move in we had made the trip 4 times!!</p>

<p>^^WOW. We are flying in next week but I was planning on driving to BB because older D wants to join us. DD may do AA so then it would be back in early August. Havent even contemplated Parents weekend yet.</p>

<p>As OOS I felt move-in was incredibly organized a basically “a breeze”. DD lived in Tut as she wash going through recruitment. They allow you to have 2 vehicles, You line up at the assigned time. We had the 8 am time.(NOTE: they did check your assigned move in times when you lined up. This seemed to be a pretty strict thing but might just have been because it was Tut and so many girls were moving in that day). </p>

<p>As you pull up to the door University employees unload you vehicles into very large carts (we had 1 min van borrowed from a friend packed to the roof with just room enough for DD, DS (he was along for the “view” if you get what I mean) H and myself). DS was mortified that DD had 4 carts FULL!!! they then take it all up to your room, unload it and leave to help the next person. We did not ship anything so I can’t comment on that. </p>

<p>I will share that we brought another load down a couple of weeks later when we came for Parents weekend.</p>

<p>Since the start date for classes is Aug.22nd early move in for OA, AA and recruitment will be August 10 and 11. The following weekend will be move in for everyone else. </p>

<p>BE WARNED!!! If you plan on moving in on Saturday August 18th it is Bid Day for sorority recruitment. Over 1700 young women will most likely be participating. Bid Day is a FAMILY event. Many parents and siblings attend and so I would book hotel rooms NOW! In fact I would book hotel rooms for any and all dates you think you are going to need.</p>

<p>The housing staff and many volunteers really have their act together. I cannot think of anything they could improve upon to make our OOS move any better. Excellent work!</p>

<p>OOS move in is very do-able even without parents or a car. We sent our middle son to UA from Ohio with a one way airline ticket for Alabama Action. We shipped items ahead of time to Paty Hall. DS took the airport shuttle on a Sunday afternoon. Paty was open on that Sunday for DS to retrieve his shipments. </p>

<p>One item that has proved to be very helpful these last four years is a folding hand cart I purchased at Sam’s Club for less than $30. I packed it in a large Rubbermaid rolling tote with a built in handle. My son keeps this under his bed for extra storage.</p>

<p>Momof3boyz is right. That little folding hand truck is VERY helpful especially lugging cases of water bottles and the big plastic boxes. We bought a set from Sams also. Now Costco has a folding float which also folds down flat. It also stores easily in small spaces since it collapses down to just a couple of inches thick.</p>

<p>We don’t have a Sam’s Club in our area. Would the folding cart be like either of these two on Amazon? Or is just a simple folding luggage cart good enough? We’ve got a couple of those already.</p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Magna Cart Elite 2 Hand Truck: Sports & Outdoors](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Elite-Hand-Truck/dp/B0010XS5PS/ref=pd_sim_sg_12]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Elite-Hand-Truck/dp/B0010XS5PS/ref=pd_sim_sg_12)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU/ref=acc_glance_sg_ai_ps_t_4[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU/ref=acc_glance_sg_ai_ps_t_4&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/FOLDING-HAND-CART-LUGGAGE-Compact/dp/B0030H009Q/ref=pd_sbs_a_7[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/FOLDING-HAND-CART-LUGGAGE-Compact/dp/B0030H009Q/ref=pd_sbs_a_7&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also, is there a list anywhere of things OOS college students will need to bring, ship or buy for their Honors dorm rooms. Thanks!</p>

<p>we haven’t moved in on the assigned day. i plan our trips so that we arrive in the evening. we go to the dorm and go to the desk and ask if it is ok if we go ahead and move in. they let us both times with no trouble. we just said we are from afar (haha!). so we usually move the stuff in that night then go eat somewhere. then the next day we are all set to set the room up and make trips out to get anything else we might need (groceries, TP, etc). we still end up having things to do on sunday (hang pictures etc).</p>

<p>one thing that made things easier was packing clothes in underbed storage bags from walmart. they are about the size of one of the drawers, so you can just move stuff straight from those into the drawers. also, packing the hanging clothes in hanging bags or even garbage bags with the hangers rubber banded together. made putting the clothes away a breeze!</p>

<p>we ended up getting a couple of the plastic drawer sets from target for things like underwear and socks (small things) and those are in the closet under the high bar.</p>

<p>we didn’t have those when we moved in the first year, but the second year, those were already filled with her stuff when we moved them in.</p>

<p>the first year, all her stuff fit into her car (with no room for a driver or passenger (we towed her car). the second year we needed the back of the suburban, too. we didn’t store any of her stuff due to the quick exit after the tornado. the expansion was due to the addition of the plastic drawers, a bookshelf, and stuff for the living area (rug pillows tv).</p>

<p>we haven’t shipped much to paty.</p>

<p>our drive is 10 hours and we just leave in the morning (before traffic - maybe 6) and get there at 4ish. not a horrible drive.</p>

<p>this year we will probably store some of her stuff. next year she is living in the sorority house, so i am not sure what the setup will be (if we will have space for the things she has or if she might need something different. she shouldn’t need any of her kitchen stuff, so that can come home. not sure on the bookshelf and plastic drawer thingies.</p>

<p>Tugtraveller,</p>

<p>Yes, that is the one. The folding float is also shown on the middle link you provided for less than $60. I actually prefer it if I had to choose only one, but both are VERY useful. The float holds up to 300 pounds and works better for some things since they are not as prone to fall off. Either one would be beneficial to have.</p>

<p>As for trying to move in earlier than your assigned time as someone suggested, I know that during Alabama Action last year they ware very strict at Ridgecrest South. Alabama Action move in began the day following Tut’s move in for rush. They wouldn’t allow people to move in on the evening before the first move in day for Alabama Action at Ridgecrest. We asked because we had seen posts to the contrary on this board and were ready to unload after a long drive. We were also worried about security for all of the items in our SUV overnight. We did see some moving in early that evening and the next morning though.</p>

<p>Tug,</p>

<p>As far as things to bring, I’m sure there is a list somewhere.</p>

<p>We are not experts, but from our experience we found these things helpful:</p>

<p>Do not bring command strips for the walls. I am not sure if the website has been updated to reflect this, but some communities like Ridgecrest South no longer allow them because they cause severe damage to the walls from the humidity. I know they allow a certain number of small nail holes.</p>

<p>things we found helpful to bring:
flashlight, rainboots, raincoat, scarf, ear bands, gloves</p>

<p>a robe (for fire alarms on cold nights)</p>

<p>the small three drawer plastic boxes mentioned earlier are great (and two fit perfectly side by side beneath the lowest bathroom shelf</p>

<p>a plunger</p>

<p>a good fan and a small folding drying rack for clothes (she will not want to dry certain items because the dryers dry very hot and things will be ruined</p>

<p>a dehumidifier (or let the UA know and they will provide and set one up if she has a problem) our daughters things were getting damp due to the humidity so we bought one before we knew this</p>

<p>tension rods - for curtains or blackout panels on windows, or for privacy for hiding things in bathroom beneath the lower shelf, also for panels she may want under her bed if she lofts it (it provides a great way to add color and hide your laundry baskets)</p>

<p>over the drawer or cabinet door towel holders for vanity and kitchen (less than $5 at Lowes or Target</p>

<p>over the door shoe rack, iron/board holder, towel rack so her towels don’t sour (although there are two towel bars in the bathroom</p>

<p>printer and cartridges</p>

<p>wide shower organizer to be shared because there isn’t much room for shampoo and things</p>

<p>drying rack for dishes (unless someone else is bringing it)</p>

<p>a twin xl mattress topper</p>

<p>if she wants a rug an 8’ by 8’ fits perfectly in the bedrooms and can be special ordered at places like Home Depot for less than buying another size off shelf…any larger will not fit because of the closet doors</p>

<p>our daughter likes having a plastic file box for organizing her work too</p>

<p>an ethernet cord for when the wifi is out</p>

<p>some sort of shelves that are easily taken apart repeatedly for repeat use…we chose metal ones from the Container Store because they are durable and pack easily.</p>

<p>a small folding chair or beanbag if she wants additional seating without taking up too much space</p>

<p>assorted things like colored pencils, digital camera, sticky dots for projects</p>

<p>a small plastic box with essential supplies for non-emergency illness that don’t require going to the health center (like advil, bandaids, zyrtec, etc.)</p>

<p>Some of her friends down the hall used a cute shower curtain and tension rod to hang in the hallway of their side of the suite for when the other suite mates had company…I thought this was a pretty novel idea for privacy getting ready if you wanted it.</p>

<p>That’s about all I could think of right now. Hope it is helpful. Good luck!</p>