The Official I'm going to a California Community College thread! 2008

<p>This year was probably the toughest year to get into the UCs school. I know there are those like me with a sub-par stats, having false hope that you’ll still be able to attend a desirable UC. Then as admission decisions slowly pour out, you get hit with the harsh realities.</p>

<p>I have chosen to go to a community college! It’s a fresh start and probably my last chance to redeem myself. Though I am bummed out about missing the first 2 years(the freshman experience), I’m sure it will work out in the end.</p>

<p>Post here if you’re planning on going to a CCC, then transferring to a UC. If you’re feeling down, feel free to express your emotions here as well. We’re here to support each other.</p>

<p>I'm not going to a community college, but I'm probably going to UCR <em>aka UC Rejected</em>, which I know has been called the UC's community college. <em>I just haven't submitted my SIR yet because I'm waiting to be further crushed by UCLA and UCB XD</em></p>

<p>Getting rejected from UCD, UCSD, and UCSB didn't bother me too much at first, but I cried about it yesterday because the reality of only receiving offers from the bottom tier <em>UCR and UCSC</em> sunk in. However, tonight I was reading up on UCR and reading all the literature they've sent me in the mail, and I think I would have an ok time going there. I still plan on making campus visits to both UCR and UCSC, but I think I'm going to pick UCR because I'm from Northern California, and I'd like to live in Southern California for a change.</p>

<p>And if I turn out to hate UCR by the end of my sophomore year, perhaps I'll transfer to UCLA <em>my original first choice</em>. I don't know. I'll see how I feel about it in two years.</p>

<p>I am attending community college and transferring.</p>

<p>Much sympathy for you guys. Just imagine how much money you'll save going to CC and getting the boring stuff out of the way.</p>

<p>The top person, very high rank in my group graduated from UCR. Don't let the school defines you. There are more factors involved when you get out of college. Lots of smart people at my company went through the CC route and they are very respected in my group as well.</p>

<p>UCR isn't as bad as they make it out to be. It's quite nice actually.
You could do a whole lot worse than that place.</p>

<p>Debbie-</p>

<p>I really would like you to visit the colleges before calling UCR the 'UC Community College.' What would it take for me to prove to you that it is an excellent university? The fact that is ranked in the top 100 national universities? Maybe check out the teachers, you will be pleasantly surprised to know that UCR has many many exceptional teachers in each and every department. The two reasons I see why people put it down: Its not in an 'ideal' location (which is true if your not into an urban atmosphere) and there is no school spirit (which is the case in many universities). </p>

<p>Generally, people who attend the school come back with good things to say about UCR, but of course, as with any UC, some people do not like their experience. </p>

<p>I just think its kinda funny that people trash talk riverside and all they have to base it on is from what friends have said or what this board turns out. </p>

<p>To the OP, good luck with that decision. This is an easy backdoor to the UC of your choice. Just make sure you stay focused as it will be hard to stay focused in a community college atmosphere. Only you can motivate yourself to get good grades.</p>

<p>I apologize if I offended you. I didn't mean to. I'm actually going to visit UCR next weekend.</p>

<p>To those of you hoping to transfer to a top UC, here are some stats I found regarding their transfer admissions in recent years, so you'd know what to shoot for.</p>

<p>UC Berkeley: 3,100 out of 10,600 accepted for Fall 2006 (29%), 400 deferred to Spring 2007 (4%)
3.72 median GPA
25th percentile GPA 3.53
75th percentile GPA 3.88
Career</a> Center - Employer Services - Student Data</p>

<p>UCLA: 4,800 out of 11,200 CCC applicants accepted (43%)
3.58 average GPA
UCLA</a> Undergrad Admissions: Profile of Admitted Transfer Students, Fall 2007</p>

<p>UCSD: 6,500 out of 8,900 accepted (73%), 3.30 average GPA
<a href="http://studentresearch.ucsd.edu/sriweb/Profile2007.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://studentresearch.ucsd.edu/sriweb/Profile2007.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Debbie-</p>

<p>No offense taken at all. It is not just you, but that seems to be the vibe around this board: "just go to community college instead of riverside. I am one to disagree with the comment unless other issues are involved such as money. But this decision should not be decided until one visits the school itself.</p>

<p>
[quote]
just go to community college instead of riverside

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No one's saying that UCR is worse than a CC, but the reality is that UCR and UCM accept all UC-eligible applicants who couldn't get into any other UC. In addition, the vast majority of UC transfer spots are reserved for CCC applicants. Hence, students who were rejected from mid- and top-tier UCs, who believe they have another chance to get in as a transfer student, may well choose the CC route over UCR. Others may find that UCR is a great fit for them academically. It's everyone's individual decision to make.</p>

<p>id rather save the UCR money and go to a CC.. i mean!!!</p>

<p>I'm going to a community college despite being accepted to CSUCI, Sonoma, San Francisco State, Fullerton, and UC Merced. I have no desire to go to any of these schools, and I'd rather save my parents some money and hopefully transfer to UCLA in two years. =]</p>

<p>Just my old man's 2 cents here: UC Riverside looks like a great college to me. It's ranked in the top 100 schools in the country, above a lot of well known colleges elsewhere. It has some great programs, and lots of "big University" stuff going on with athletics, etc. I know it's tough to accept the "least prestigious" school - but the fact is, a lot of really, really smart kids are going to find themselves at UCR this year - and they will make it an amazing place. This year's UCR students would have been attending Davis or Irvine 10 years ago - what does that tell you about the quality of the school today?</p>

<p>UCSC? I am, like I said, old. I have a friend from my college years who is currently the dean of a major, prestigious midwestern University's School of Business. UCSC class of '71. I personally think UCSC is incredibly cool. </p>

<p>But whatever you all choose: good luck to you all. A new chapter will be starting for you all next fall, and your future really is in your own hands.</p>

<p>I agree with what Kluge said. </p>

<p>I think alot of people are putting it down just because its at the lower spectrum of the UC's. It will give you that University feel that everyone yearns for. </p>

<p>To I'm blue-
Yes it is true most transfers are from CCC, of course. This is no secret nor did I imply anything different. All I am saying is that if you are smart enough to get good grades at Riverside, you will be able to transfer almost as easily. If your worried about not being with smart people, alot of smart people that would have got into the other UC's just last year are now attending riverside because they had no luck.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Yes it is true most transfers are from CCC, of course. All I am saying is that if you are smart enough to get good grades at Riverside, you will be able to transfer almost as easily.

[/quote]

This is untrue. Not only are most transfers from CCC, the vast majority of UC transfer spots are <em>reserved</em> for CCC applicants. For example, Berkeley's acceptance rate for transfer applications from UCs is less than 20%. This includes applicants from not only UCR, but the mid-tier UCs as well. So if your goal is to graduate from a mid- or top-tier UC, the CCC <em>is</em> a better choice than UCR. On the other hand, if your goal is just to graduate from any UC, well I guess you have no choice...</p>

<p>I may have made it sound too likely. The difference between transfering from a CC and a UC certainly is substancial. </p>

<p>Basically, you can slack off a bit getting by with a 3.6 in extremely easy classes and that will likely get you to Cal/UCLA if you take the right programs. Also, if you go through a TAP program for a specific UC, you are almost guaranteed to get into that UC if you just get B's. </p>

<p>However, whether this is ideal or not is another story. Getting into the top tier schools is hard no matter where you go, because there is not a guaranteed admission program like there is for the lower and mid tier schools. </p>

<p>If you really want to go to a hard UC and do not want to go to CC, you just need to work a little harder. Classes should not be terribly difficult at UCR, and if all goes wrong (you get C's) at least your graduating from a UC and not flunking out of community college. You can look at it as security. You cannot do any worse then graduating from a top 100 nationally ranked school (UCR) and are gambling a bit for the higher UC's, whereas with CC, you need to motivate yourself to do well, because if you do not, you have nowhere to go. </p>

<p>With the Cali budget cuts and admissions numbers to drop next year, I would rather be in somewhere for the time being. Who knows what kind of programs they will drop to save money. </p>

<p>So conclusion?</p>

<p>CC = almost guaranteed to any UC cept top 2, but you must motivate yourself to get a 3.5+ in CC to be able to go to those 2. </p>

<p>UCR = You have somewhere to go, a fine college at that, and can transfer in 2 years to a top UC as well, you just need to work harder then you would at CC and it is not as safe to assume that you can get in anywhere from a UC.</p>

<p>Should point out though that to transfer one from UC to another UC is not easy.So if you went to UCR and want to transfer to UCB then you better have a good reason such as medical needs,major is not offered at UCR and good grades and luck.The UCs look at it as your already at a "good' school.</p>

<p>I read somewhere on this forum that UCM has some type of agreement with UCLA and if you go to UCM for two years and follow some certain criteria you can go to UCLA after.</p>

<p>Johnny - I understand your philosophy. I do not think that UCB would punish you if you got a 4.0 at UCR and wanted to transfer to Cal. Theres alot of people who cannot get into their first choice out of High School and I am sure they understand that, and seeing that you went to a lower University and did excellent would definitely make you a viable candidate. </p>

<p>Mykris- Hm, I never heard of that. I doubt there is a guaranteed admission program from UCM to LA. If there is something, it probably is a honors program in which you take harder classes so you can be an ideal transfer candidate and have the possibilitiy of getting into UCLA.</p>