The Official M10 2019 Freakout Thread

Choate’s signature programs are really cool – but I doubt I have a shot of getting in. Anyway, I just realized that I will be on a plane(~15 hr) when M9 results are out, so I have no idea how I would react on the plane and if I’m going to scare the person sitting next to me.

I called SMS and they confirmed my application is complete but they have the wrong email for my dad!

@ReluctantDad you said, “We completed the evaluation from PFS and the number it shoots out on what we can afford to pay for our family is unrealistic.” If anyone else can help me with this, please chime in!.. I’m a little confused- my husband said the form he filled out never gave him an estimate of what we could afford. We submitted everything that was required by the Dec 15th deadline. We find out from Hackley tomorrow and the other two schools later this month. (Greenwich Country Day and Rye Country Day) Am I missing something? Should I email or call Hackley to ask? The GCDS website says the 2019 W-2’s should be uploaded as they become available. We are still waiting on some of ours (I work freelance jobs and have several) so would this be the reason why it’s not giving us an estimate? Did you get an estimate when you filled it out in December or once you uploaded the W-2’s for the previous year (which would have been in January or February)?

@happydance22 When you log into PFS, go to the dashboard, on the left scroll to the bottom and click on view family report. In your family report, you will see a section called Parent Contribution. That is the total number you can pay for all of your kids’ education.

@ReluctantDad I found it! Thank you! it is a little more than what we said we could pay but not a terrible number. I hope we can make our case for paying less if that is the number we are given. I have another question now- if the number given is for "day school applicants’ for all children, does that mean that it’s taking into consideration our pre-school expenses for our 3 year old son as part of our expenses and not part of the day-school total we can pay for school for both of our children? There is no FA for pre-school! Thanks!

And to clarify, our son will be in a PreK 4’s program next year, at a PK-8th private school, if that makes a difference.

This is the recommendation from PFS to the schools. However, schools will make their own calculations and will provide you with their offer.

For the Choate signature programs, I would REALLY like to do Arts Concentration. I just love music, so i think that would be something that would be so interesting. I also want to be in their jazz band

Decisions for Hackley post later today. Freaking out. Carry on.

@happydance22 Good luck!!! I hope your daughter gets in!

Got my NMH situation figured out! I called Choate and they confirmed my application is complete. I’m just waiting on my counselor to send a note to Andover and then I will be 1000% done. So. Excited.

But also nervous. As we inch closer to M9/10, I feel more and more nervous. Will I get in anywhere? Will I get full aid? Ugh! 29 days until M9.

OH NO!!!

I was sending updates to my schools and accidentally sent an email to Hotchkiss that said

“Good afternoon, I am an applicant to Choate Rosemary Hall…”

RIP my chances…

@CavsFan2003 I’ve come across SO many posts like yours that said they had the wrong school name in their email. Clearly they get these all the time! Unless it was a first choice letter, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you are just following up to make sure material was received or sending updates or something like that, it would make sense that you wrote a similar letter to several schools and I’m sure they will not think twice about it.

@happydance22 Yeah it was just me sending an update about something that happened after the deadline LOL

Still very embarrassing… I clicked the send button and immediately realized I hadn’t changed the school name

Waitlisted at Hackley. :frowning: Theyvsaid to contact ASAP if we want to stay on the waitlist. We applied to two other schools but won’t know until end of the month. Any tips on what to say or not say? Is any info about how to approach the admissions director somewhere on this site?

@happydance22 If it were me, I would stay on the waitlist, if that’s what you’re asking?

@happydance22 Where else have you applied?

Interested in Hackley as well.

Wow. I just looked at Hackley and it is COMPETITIVE. I think what @happydance22 is asking is how to talk to the admissions director about being waitlisted? Anyway, IMO I would say how interested your daughter is in the school and how it is perfect for her. Maybe say that if a spot is available, you are still interested. You don’t have to listen to me, I’m no expert. Just a few things to consider, but do what’s in your kid’s best interest. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Is it really that much harder to get into schools if you need FA? I’ve been worried about that. Maybe I should win the lottery so I have a chance at my schools lol

lol :))
I don’t know, I know that people say that its harder and i believe them but how much harder? I guess it depends on how much