The Only College Fencing Recruiting Thread You Need to Read

I agree that they need to decide on the April NAC soon. I think they should cancel it and concentrate on making sure that Summer National can take place. I believe we would be in a much better shape nationwide in terms of covid, and if the April NAC causes some superspreading, I am afraid they will freak out and cancel the Summer Nationals.

2 Likes

Thanks, hadn’t seen that yet. This gives us a heads-up to get tickets.

Our grouphousing hotel was just canceled for Denver, so I am assuming that they have decided but not told people yet.

1 Like

Fencing returns this weekend with the Durkan ROC Div1a. Although it was initially open to fencers from all over the country, based on last weeks announcement by the Gov, it is now limited to NJ residents.

Yes. We registered for that competition, and then got an email couple of days later telling us our registration will be withdrawn. Frustrating, as I feel like a regional event should be open to everyone in the region… I understand it’s beyond the organizers’ control, but feels unfair that kids from region 3 who don’t live in NJ don’t get to participate.

1 Like

Some fencers live in states and cities that are still having real tournaments, while most others are in areas that haven’t had a real tournament since JOs a year ago. Hard to think this won’t have competitive balance ramifications for years to come.

1 Like

@FencingDad2020 , I have heard that 2021 recruitment was impacted for fencing across many of the top schools. Schools who may have traditionally had more slots were scaled back. This required a really hard look by coaches on their needs to balance the overall team and their wants - picking up a great fencer in a weapon / gender combo not as pressing etc. The women’s side appeared to be less impacted because of the presence of title IX which helps preserve some slots. In addition, with the IVY league not having sports period, a number of athletes took a gap year and so again, this is proving to be a knock on effect for 2021. Anecdotally, I have heard that 2022 is also seeing some ripple effects but the true weight of these may not be seen yet with the dead period for recruiting etc. However, those who are in conversations with coaches and are feeling good about their selections are apparently snapping up offers rather than waiting until perhaps OVs are available. All observations from being in the process with 2021 and hearing the stories from parents of current 2022 fencers.

1 Like

Yes it seems the restrictive nature of these tournaments will disadvantage fencers in cities/states with no events to go to (I.e no practice or ratings to earn). On the west coast there have been no events post Covid. Not sure how US Fencing or coaches will look at this.

On the note about reduced college slots, is there a feeling this is a permanent change or just a temporary reduction that will effect 21, 22 and maybe retuning back to normal for 22 & 24?

I meant …back to normal fir 23 & 24

@roseleafmom I think it is hard to say. On the one hand, one would expect to see normalcy return as the pandemic subsides. However, on the other, it is not inconceivable that the pandemic has had a material impact on college sports and especially niche, non-revenue generating, sports like fencing. In addition, countrywide there has been a major impact on clubs with many shuttering their doors and whether they are able to reopen remains to be seen. This is a unique sport and one most of our kids do because they are passionate about it, not because this is their perceived ticket to a good college. However, parents of young children who are attracted to the possibility of this sport as an avenue for college recruitment may take a hard look at the investment required (time, energy and resources) and realize that given the small number of “premier” D1 slots at Ivies and top academic schools like Duke, Notre Dame etc may give a second thought. The sport was seeing increased levels of participation over the past 5 years as the USA became a dominant force on the global scene, what happens post Covid will be interesting.

With the new CC format, I didn’t realize I was no longer getting notifications of new posts in this thread.

My D is a senior on a top 10 women’s fencing team that is still doing limited competitions. She was so happy when the first competition happened earlier this year, since it was something that felt “normal” after months of a half-empty campus and mostly virtual classes. Competitions are a bit smaller because the Ivies aren’t competing, but otherwise it’s been a bit of normalcy she has really enjoyed.

They are no NCAA Regionals this year due to the smaller number of schools competing overall. I’m not sure how NCAA is deciding who qualifies for nationals this year with no regionals and most teams having very limited schedules. They’ve posted that qualifications for nationals will be announced Mar 18. Div 1 schools typically do over 35 dual events, but this year it’s been less than half that, which should make for some potentially interesting qualifying.

How many colleges actually fenced this year? No Ivies, most of the D3 schools cancelled their season, and a few other D1 as well (Lafayette, Cleves State). Could they take two in each weapon from every school? Will last years regionals have any weight?

1 Like

@Novacat9191 . The Ivy League schools with fencing: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Brown (women only now) as you mentioned did not fence this year. Stanford (program set to dissolve as a varsity team at the end of this year) I am not sure. The ACC schools - Notre Dame, Duke, Boston College and UNC have been training and had limited meets but they held the ACC Fencing Championships this past weekend. OSU and Penn State have been training and have fenced limited meets. Not sure about other D1 schools. I think I heard that schools who have not cancelled their seasons will possibly have to nominate 2 per weapon/gender combo and it will be decided / approved by committee. Not sure on specifics. I guess March 18 will be enlightening!

I know Notre Dame was fencing before they suspended (prior to the ACC Championships) their season due to COVID issues. I assume they may be back if they clear their COVID protocols.

Wayne State, a D2 school, hosted a few schools last weekend, among them were Northwestern (D1), Cleveland State (D1), and Denison (D3). The Lawrence women (D3) have been to Northwestern to fence twice this season.

Has anyone heard anything further about the NACs? Hard to see how Denver could take place only six weeks away, yet still no announcement by USFA. And Div1 April NAC seems increasingly squeezed.

1 Like

“DV1/JNR NAC
Richmond”

Just posted: NACs are back on.

1 Like

April North American Cup
Div I, Y14, Y12, Y10, Para
April 16-19, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

May North American Cup
Div I, Junior, Cadet, Y14
May 6-9, 2021
Minneapolis, Minn.

June North American Cup
Div I, Junior, Cadet
June 4-7, 2021
Richmond, Va.

Have to think that Y-10 through Y-14 fencer parents are going to be VERY unhappy about choosing to send either a parent OR a coach into the venue. How is a coach supposed to handle an upset fencer who lost a bout while coaching another fencer who is competing? Is it really a good idea to have a nine-year-old in a large venue without a parent? And doesn’t this give huge advantage to fencers whose parents actually are coaches? And why are parents and coaches who are vaccinated being treated the same as ones who are not? Doesn’t seem very well thought through.

3 Likes

My first question would be why do they need to post a NAC for <10 year olds. This would have been a great opportunity to shift the focus on younger fencers to the regional level. I think the issue comes down to the finite number of people the venue will be able to host. If you don’t limit it you will have to reduce the number of fencers that are able to participate. I would think most would opt at that age for the parent.

https://www.usafencing.org/news_article/show/1151513