The Problem with Our College Ranking System

Thought this was a very thoughtful piece

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing this opinion piece; I agree that it raised many good points.

I also wanted to raise awareness about the programs Dr. Hinton (the author mentioned) at Hollins, Mary Baldwin, and in Iowa (that state, not U. of Iowa, I believe). I had no idea they had similar scholarship opportunities, and it might be good for us to remember when we have students from low income families who are in need of college search assistance. Unfortunately, not all of the financially needy will be accepted to the wealthiest, and most rejective, colleges.

As another example, Princeton University announced that it would be tuition-free for families whose incomes are less than $100,000. Several other institutions, including my alma mater Williams College, have made similar commitments. Why be upset about this when my career is dedicated to ensuring that students, especially women and other marginalized groups, have access to an excellent liberal arts education?

Yet at about the same time, my institution, Hollins University, began the HOPE scholarship program. HOPE offers students within a 40-mile radius an opportunity to attend Hollins tuition-free for four years. In effect, they can receive a free liberal arts education and all the resources and opportunities it provides. Similarly, Mary Baldwin University announced Access MBU, a program that provides free tuition for families that make less than $60,000. The Simpson Promise does the same for Iowa families. The list goes on, but have you heard of HOPE, Access MBU, or the Simpson Promise? Many other institutions, too, have worked diligently to leverage limited resources to become more accessible.

(Emphasis added to the college’s names.)

8 Likes

There are some really good programs out there at lesser known schools.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.