The Situation in Wisconsin...

<p>I would be an out of state student, if I were to get in and decide to go, but elements of the situation in the state of Wisconsin trouble me. Three things about it trouble me in particular.</p>

<p>For one the obvious that UW-Madison may not be part of the UW System next year. really, no one knows how this will effect tuition or any public Wisconsin universities' quality until it is put in place, and I am wary of that.</p>

<p>Second I am going to be a political science major. I will likely do an internship in the state capitol where ever I go, and as a political thinker, as someone who will likely be a worker in the state of Wisconsin, as a citizen of the United States I feel that collective bargaining is a fundamental right that the people of America gained in the early 1900's because as FDR said "rule by organized money is just as dangerous as rule by organized mob." The people made strides on this right until all public workers were able to negotiate their wadges and benefits together. This is their right and to have a political leader try to take that from them is abominable. Maybe they need to take pay cuts, but they at least have the right to negotiate the extent of it. </p>

<p>Third, one of the reasons I want to go to Wisconsin is because of its progressive spirit. The fact that I would be in the place that modern progressivism was born, that I would be walking the same halls that Robert La Follette walked, the history of the progressive nature of the campus, amaze me, and are one of the many reasons I want to attend The University of Wisconsin - Madison. I am afraid that this spirit will be diminished by the political climate in Wisconsin right now. </p>

<p>Now, I have not even been admitted yet. But I am very seriously considering Madison, and these things are important to me. There are still many reasons one could give to attend the university, it is one of the best public universities in the nation, with one of the best social climates in America, but I fear that this will be compromised by the political situation in the state. My question is how much should I be worried about this? Should I consider signing at Ohio State (My second choice at the moment), or should I wait until things become more clear? Is it worth the risk of going there, as a worker and a political science student?</p>

<p>I suppose these are questions Governor Walker should be facing as he leads a conservative uprising in America. I by no means think all conservatism is bad or evil or whatnot, however I do feel that the last 30 years of religious and social conservatism has sent our nation backwards. As a liberal I will say that there is a place for conservatism in American policy, but this certainly is not it. I do not mean to condemn anyone for their political beliefs, I am condemning the beliefs themselves. I think that this political philosophy is wrong, and I do not support the politics of it.</p>

<p>So the question is should I be weary of attending the University of Wisconsin if I am accepted?</p>

<p>Definitely not! The city of Madison and UW-Madison are still very progressive and liberal, even if some parts of the state (mostly rural) have swung more conservative in the past election. All one needs to do is look at how much of the vote that Feingold and Barrett carried from Dane County/Madison to see that this is still an area entrenched in progressive hopes and liberalism. Another good example is the high turnout Obama got when he came to Madison last year, with thousands needing to be turned away at a time when his national popularity was not very high.</p>

<p>If you want to be a poly sci major, Madison and UW are an absolutely perfect combination. This is best symbolized by the striking visual of the Capitol and Bascom Hall visibly facing each other at opposite ends of State St. Once of the things I really liked about UW and why I chose to come to it was because of this connection and the Wisconsin Idea, and I have not been disappointed in the least.</p>

<p>I think you will love the atmosphere at the university and will be inspired by the democracy in action that is being played out these days in Madison. That said, if finances are a concern, yes, tuition will go up. How much? Predictions run the gamut from 4% a year (from a conservative state assemblyman who always wants to rein in tuition increases) to 10 to 13% a year (predicted by Chancellor Biddy Martin).</p>

<p>TA’s are holding sections off campus, students walked out on Thursday and Friday from classes, and thousands of students are protesting in the capitol because of the Budget Repair Bill…What exactly are you worried about? </p>

<p>If anything, UW ostracizes conservatives–but there’s a niche there, too. </p>

<p>And Ohio has had similar union battles, btw.</p>

<p>I wish to provide the following comments:

1. Like a responsible family, you have got to be able to balance your check book. With the shrinking of tax base, Wisconsin would have no choice but to make tough decisions. Raising tuition may be one of them. 80% of the state in the Union are facing the same issue. Most of the European nations are facing the same issue. There is little you and I can do about it right now as individuals.
  2. As a political science major, you should be open-minded and observe without prejudices. Living in a pure progressive environment would not make you a true progressive. In addition, the world itself is a place where both conservative and progressive can flourish. Madison can be progressive or conservative, depending on the flavor of the day. UW-Madison is a very dynamic place where you can learn from both conservatives as well as progressives. To be a good politician or political scientist, you want to be exposed to both extremes and know how to deal with them. And have the opportunity to study them and learn from the pluralistic environment.Therefore, I don’t see the reason why not Madison.
  3. The world is constantly changing, just like the weather. “If you do not like the Wisconsin weather, stick around and it will change”. </p>

<p>In conclusion, I strongly recommend that you give Wisconsin a more careful look and make you decision with more than what you have got today.</p>

<p>Good Luck on your college selection process!</p>