The Social Security Administration (SSA) did not confirm that you are a U.S. citizen

I was born outside of US, but I have been a citizen for 2 years with a valid passport, passport card, and driver license from two US states. My affidavit for SSA Citizenship Match keeps getting rejected by multiple schools, and I can’t figure out why.

@kelsmom

1 Like

Do you know which of the SSA codes listed in the linked page was returned?
https://faaaccess.ed.gov/fotw2324/help/fahelp28j.htm

It could mean that the SSA records on the subject are incorrect or out-of-date.

2 Likes

No idea which code, how do I find out??

1 Like

It’s very, very common. For financial aid, you’ll just need to show your documentation to the school’s financial aid office (passport works). As for the code … sometimes I couldn’t figure out why a student got it, but many times, it turned out that they needed to update their citizenship status with the SSA. That apparently is not done automatically when you become a citizen.

(You won’t be able to see the codes that appear on the linked page from @ucbalumnus . Those are available only to the school.)

2 Likes

Oh wow, I understand. I’ve had a SSN every since immigrating to US 6 years ago and I became a citizen 2 years ago, if it’s truly not updated automatically, then this makes sense. I’ll try contacting my SS office. But I have also tried submitting a copy of my US passport to online portal at Florida Tech, and it still got rejected. I ended up getting an email saying I have to mail them a notarized copy of my US passport.

Yes, if you can’t take it there in person, you’ll need to send them a notarized copy. It’s one of those federal regulations that they have to follow.

If you look at the document I linked above, it does say that you need to go to a Social Security office to update your citizenship.

1 Like

thank you so much for your help, I’ll look into social security records

If you didn’t go in IN PERSON to SSA to show them your documentation for change in status from non-citizen (probably green card holder) to citizen, the status has not been changed. No other government agency or court sends the info to SSA. Only the Dept of Homeland Security or the State dept (issuing a passport) can determine citizenship status, so even if you bring in some other proof (like a copy of your parent’s paperwork and the law that show you are automatically a citizen under them, or a copy of the child’s citizenship act), the SSA won’t ‘interpret the law’ and can only take a certificate of citizenship or passport to change your status. Even if you did do this (show up in person), there is a good chance it wasn’t done correctly. I’ve seen it a lot of times that the status just doesn’t get changed.

You’ll have to show your passport to the school administration. They are not allowed to accept a notarized/certified copy of your passport. I’m not saying they won’t, but by federal law they have to see the original. Many schools will take the copy to get things processed before school starts, but they aren’t supposed to release any funds until they see that original and will release as soon as you show up in August with your passport.

1 Like

That used to be the regulation, but I see that it has changed, probably due to the increase in distance learning + changes due to Coronavirus: NASFAA AskRegs: Can We Accept Copies Of Citizenship and Immigration Documents By Mail Or Electronically?. It surprised me!

1 Like