The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - June CC Book Club Selection

<p>I wish he hadn’t died, but the ending seemed alright, I guess. The survivors, including the store, were set up for good things to come. I was surprised that A.J. was diagnosed with the brain tumor, but Mary’s explanation about “the gun” make sense. I missed the clues. </p>

<p>Well Terms of Endearment is one of my “No but I saw the movie” books. :smiley: So I’ll blame it all on the movie!</p>

<p>The idea of whether he should live or die, reminds me of the conundrum of how the story should end for “What feels like the World.” That author ended up not writing either ending. I’m glad we didn’t have the no ending ending personally. It works in a short story, but I would have been really annoyed in a novel.</p>

<p>^^^ I would have hated a non-ending. Actually, I have a hard time with many short stories for that reason. (Alice Munro, I’m talking to you.) I did not mind it in “What Feels Like the World” because - for me - it would not have worked. You see, I “know” the girl did not make it over the fault. I am aware of the hurt without the words hitting me. That short story ended at exactly the right place. </p>

<p>I’m almost through all the short stories - the ones mentioned before each chapter and ones mentioned in the chapters - only one left. So, now I’m curious. Favorites? Least favorites? I’ll post mine after I finish my last story. It could, after all, turn out to be my favorite - or maybe my least favorite.</p>

<p>Maybe instead of “manipulative tricks,” I should have said “melodramatic devices.” :)</p>

<p>I did feel like I was being manipulated in the following instances:

• Amelia/Amy appears in the bookstore. You know there is going to be a relationship between her and Fikry, and you are curious about how it will come to be.
  • Maya appears in the bookstore. You know Fikry is going to adopt her, and you are curious about the details of how this plays out.
  • The book is stolen. You know the solution to the mystery of who stole it is coming, and you wonder when it will come.
  • Daniel is shown to be a bad guy. You know he is not going to be allowed to keep hurting people, and you wonder how he will be stopped.
  • Fikry becomes ill. You know a way will be found for him to have surgery, and you wonder how this will happen.
  • You know the bookstore will be preserved, but not exactly how, and you are curious about its future.</p>

<p>I didn’t like this business of “knowing” things ahead of time and then being led into a state of emotional suspense waiting for them to play out. I prefer subtlety and a slow unfolding, where hidden layers of plot and character are revealed.</p>

<p>Melodrama can be okay. It’s certainly great in opera, where the point is the music and the singing. But I kind of prefer to avoid it in the novels I read.</p>

<p>There were three or four short stories I did not read, for one reason or another. </p>

<p>These are the stories that I know I will remember:</p>

<p>“The Beauties”
“A Perfect Day for Bananafish”
“Bullet in the Brain”
Both Roald Dahl stories.
Both Z Z Packer stories.
“The Girls in Their Summer Dresses”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Makes sense. “Formulaic” is the word that comes to mind. A.J. Fikry does have elements of the formula, from the “meet cute” romance to the quirky but lovable sidekick to the flawed anti-hero redeemed by love. But I think Zevin has created a work that’s much richer than typical formulaic fiction. The short stories play a part in that, as does the lack of a happily-ever-after ending. Zevin adds a little edginess to the familiar. You can breeze through the story as fast as a beach read, or you can take it apart like we are doing here. It’s…versatile. I appreciated that aspect of the book – it can be enjoyed by people with disparate tastes, for different reasons.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There are stories that I didn’t care for, although I recognize that they are considered masterpieces (e.g. “A Good Man is Hard to Find”). So I’m listing my favorites based on whether or not the story moved me–and stayed with me–be it because of a beautifully worded sentence, an intriguing character or an interesting turn of events. I read 16 of the stories; here are my top six:</p>

<p>“Ironhead”
“Bullet in the Brain”
“What Feels Like the World”
“A Conversation with My Father”
“In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried”</p>

<p>The relationship between the grandfather and granddaughter in “What Feels Like the World” reminded me of Alan Arkin and Abigail Breslin “Little Miss Sunshine.”</p>

<p>AJ’s death was not a total surprise to me since the way he was writing to Maya about the various stories and “remembering when” indicated that. Although I didn’t put his blackouts together with a brain tumor, once that was diagnosed I expected that was the cause of death, in spite of the surgery.</p>

<p>Manipulated? Hmmmm – perhaps some. I didn’t really think like that while reading the book, though. And I did like the ending with the next publishing rep coming to the island – “circle of life,” as mathmom said. Perhaps the ending did tie things up quite neatly, but even so, I usually dislike books where the author just leaves you hanging with no ending at all. I guess the trick is to find the “happy medium” where the ending does finish the book but isn’t too neat/hokey.</p>

<p>Manipulative or melodramatic devices? I’ve never really thought about it like that. Formulaic? I can go with that with the stipulation that I’m a formulaic fan. </p>

<p>Take Pride and Prejudice*:</p>

<ul>
<li><p>An eligible bachelor moves near the Bennet house with its five single girls. You know immediately that a romance will ensue.</p></li>
<li><p>Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth meet and his ill-advised comment sets up a singular romance. They are the only two who don’t hear wedding bells in their future.</p></li>
<li><p>Flighty Lydia and her preoccupation with soldiers doesn’t bode well. Then you learn of Mr. Wickham’s interlude with the young Miss Darcy and wait for that particular shoe to drop.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>And so on.</p>

<p>If Elizabeth had ended up with Mr. Wickham or - heaven forbid - Mr. Collins, only to be in possession of a singularly unhappy marriage, I would NOT have been pleased. Formulaic works for me.</p>

<p>*I am not saying that The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and Pride and Prejudice are of equal literary value.</p>

<p>This person makes comments that are pretty much in line with my thinking:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.citizenreader.com/citizen/2014/05/the-storied-life-of-aj-fikry.html”>http://www.citizenreader.com/citizen/2014/05/the-storied-life-of-aj-fikry.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>^^^ I’m easy. I like the book but I don’t mind formulaic. You read more literary fiction than I do. I think I read more genre fiction than you do. I like this book club because of the differing opinions. </p>

<p>(I’m quite used to formulaic: this time it was done well in my opinion, which probably says more about my choice of reading material than it does this particular book. :wink: ) </p>

<p>I didn’t mind the formulaic element of the book because the mystery of deciphering the short stories made it all fun to read and to think about! I also liked A.J.'s transformation, the conversion of Lambiase to a more well rounded reader, Ismay’s awakening from her life of isolation, the continued existence of the bookstore, Maya’s transition from abandoned child to adult. The positive and resolved outcomes of the book’s story were welcome after the dire endings of many of the referenced stories. And of the stories, I think “Ironhead” and “What Feels Like The World” were my favorites.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Amen to that! I’m easy, too, but frankly, I think I was a little too easy before this club. Since we started, I’ve read books that I would not have considered before. (NJTheatreMOM, I credit you with a lot of that – The Cat’s Table and Cloud Atlas, for example, wouldn’t even have been on my radar.)</p>

<p>I do like escapist fiction and I’ll often read the lighter stuff as a “palate cleanser” after something more challenging. My mood can be affected by what I’m reading, and sometimes I just want to go to that happy place where we all end up with Mr. Darcy and live forever.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I loved reading the short stories. I was glad we tackled Alice Munro back in December because prior to that, my short story repertoire was virtually nil. With Dear Life behind me, I felt I had a better understanding the genre.</p>

<p>I have finished all the short stories. Overall, I liked the stories - once I accepted that A.J. chose them, not me. :stuck_out_tongue:
I plan to continue onward with a few of the authors.</p>

<p>Favorites:
“What Feels Like the World”
“A Good Man Is Hard to Find” (I can’t get it out of my head.)
“A Conversation with My Father”
“The Tell-Tale Heart” and “The Fall of the House of Usher” (Nobody does atmosphere like Poe.)
“Ironhead”
“Bullet in the Brain”
“The Beauties”
“In The Cemetery Where Al Jolsen is Buried”
“Brownies” (I like ZZ Packer’s writing but “Drinking Coffee Elsewhere” lost me.)</p>

<p>Hmm - not so much:
"The Girls in Their Summer Dresses "</p>

<p>Seriously unloved:
" What We Talk About When We Talk About Love"</p>

<p>I also found the short story “Fat” by Raymond Carver. (I’m not a fan.) A.J. suggested it (along with the others) to Maya when she struggled to write her short story. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.andrewberthrong.com/uploads/2/2/9/6/22969114/fat.pdf”>http://www.andrewberthrong.com/uploads/2/2/9/6/22969114/fat.pdf&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>I don’t think I realized how the short stories cover prejudice against so many - Blacks, Native Americans, the obese, the learning disabled, the poor (or lower class) or just the plain different (an iron for a head in a family of pumpkin heads). Did I miss anything?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>People who speak in clichés (“Bullet in the Brain”). </p>

<p>^ LOL, “The stern, brass-knuckled poetry of the dangerous classes.” </p>

<p>The one writer on this list whose short fiction I definitely want to read more of is Chekhov.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I agree completely with NJTheatreMOM about the formulaic/melodramatic devices, but after our discussion, also agree with Mary13 that the book is “versatile.” (though books like The Cat’s Table and Cloud Atlas–and The Orchardist–are more to my taste.)</p>

<p>The ending was find with me, though I’m not sure A.J. really had such a good life. He always seemed described as older than he really was, but when he died I think he was only about 52. And Maya was about 15–not so great for her, either. While the tone of the book is it-all-works-out cheery, the story was sadder than that.</p>

<p>My favorite stories were “What Feels Like the World” and one that hasn’t been mentioned, “The Luck of Roaring Camp.” Although it had a sad ending, that was due to a natural catastrophe, not a human one. The redemption was in the baby’s ability to transform the men in the camp.</p>

<p>I really hated “A Good Man is Hard to Find.” If anyone likes it, I’d be interested in a more positive take!</p>

<p>I have been away on a mini trip with some CC friends. :slight_smile: I am trying to catch up and just read all the post I missed. You guys have been busy! I read a few of the short stories, but did not get through them all, so I’m not ready to pick a favorite. I did like the optimism in “The Luck of Roaring Camp”. I really disliked “A Good Man is Hard to Find”.</p>

<p>Some of the posts have talked about Kindle vs Books. I have pretty much stuck with eBooks since I got my Kindle. I can make the print bigger and can carry lots of books with me when I travel. I prefer my Kindle. Even though I mostly buy eBooks, I still love browsing in a bookstore. Sadly, browsing won’t keep bookstores alive. </p>

<p>I was talking with one of my nephews the other day. He is in his early 30s and loves listening to music and live bands. He buys records! He told me there is a new market out there for albums and artists are now making and selling records again. I haven’t seen this myself, but haven’t looked. I wonder if books will end up with the same kind of niche market? Smaller book stores may make a comeback replacing the large mega bookstores that originally ran them out of business.</p>

<p>^^^ Hope your trip was fun. (Yes, I know about the comeback of vinyl records. <a href=“Vinyl Records Are Making a Comeback - The New York Times”>http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/arts/music/vinyl-records-are-making-a-comeback.html&lt;/a&gt;)</p>

<p>I actually listed “A Good Man Is Hard to Find” in my favorites. I listed it there because I read with growing dismay/horror at the turn of events. I could not stop reading. In fact, I have a hard time stepping away from it once I think about it again. Flannery O’Conner accomplishes exactly what she means to accomplish in this story. So … for that it made my list … now to work at clearing it out of my head - again.</p>

<p>I like the optimism of “The Luck of Roaring Camp.” I left that short story with the feeling that the author intentionally pulled at my heartstrings and it worked.</p>