The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - June CC Book Club Selection

<p>

</p>

<p>My daughter is taking a turntable back to college with her. “Mom,” she said, “Vinyl is the only way to listen to music.”</p>

<p>I laughed and thought wistfully of my warped and scratched Red Album (which was not black, but actually red, the epitome of cool). Those were the days. What next, the return of the 8-track tape? :)</p>

<p>Today I was reading about “New Criticism,” which argues that “authorial intent is irrelevant to understanding a work of literature… it successfully makes the reader or the consumer of the story the only authority on its meaning as opposed to the author or creator of the work.” <a href=“Authorial intent - Wikipedia”>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorial_intent&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This reminded me of something Richard Bausch said in the interview posted earlier, about “What Feels Like the World”:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Hmm, I can see it both ways. Of course if the audience can’t grasp what the author’s intent was, then the author’s intent is sort of pointless. If the author’s intent lies at least partly in his unconscious I think it’s a plus when a reader or reviewer can communicate that back to the author. Or just enjoy the story on a deeper level than the author intended. On the other hand, I think that sometimes readers (and especially teachers of high school English!) can insert symbolism and meaning where it really doesn’t belong. Hemingway said about The Old Man and the Sea

But people have been writing about its religious symbolism since it was published (and honestly it does seem pretty obvious to me that it’s there and intentional whatever he says.)</p>

<p>I disliked the Flannery O’Connor story when I read it. My six word summary: “Unpleasant family. Everyone dies. Grandma’s fault.” But it does stay with you. I’ve read a number of explanations of what she was thinking about and the sort of religious explanation, that somehow this self centered woman almost connects, almost finds grace right before being killed along with all the rest of her family, seems as plausible an explanation for what was going on as anything.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is fun (see opening paragraph below): <a href=“The Paris Review - Document: The Symbolism Survey - The Paris Review”>http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2011/12/05/document-the-symbolism-survey/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>Now I like Ralph Ellison’s response:

</p>

<p>It seems complementary to his readers!</p>

<p>It was interesting seeing the different authors’ handwriting, or in the case of some like Norman Mailer, their typing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Reminds me of Ann Patchett’s quote: “I believe literature takes place between the writer and the reader. You bring your imagination, they bring theirs, and together you make a book.” </p>

<p>Moving on to August…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What do you say, my friends? Shall we dispense with the usual formalities and call it for Lonesome Dove? </p>

<p>Book Club By-laws Article III, Section 5, Clause 2 states that we can alter the method by which we select a book at any time, for any reason, with such amendment contingent upon majority consent. :-B </p>

<p>Let me know what you think!</p>

<p>I hadn’t read many of the short stories ( although I read about them) and will select the top ones from your lists and will read them.
**Ignatius **great idea to ask people to list their favorites! </p>

<p>Love the idea of Lonesome Dove a book endorsed by so many, especially you, **mary13! **</p>

<p>Do want to add, that one of my favorite short stories, is Many Moons, written by James Thurber, and about how we all see the world differently. While, I agree with **NJTheatermom’s **perspective on The storied Life, I have expanded my appreciation of the book, with thanks to eveyone’s varying " perspectives" ! Good discussion, ya all. </p>

<p>LOL, Mary13! I mean, if it’s in the Bylaws, it’s fine with me!</p>

<p>I’m fine with Lonesome Dove. Looking forward to reading a book that is pretty much a “sure thing”!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I should check that one out. I remember thinking that Thurber’s story “More Alarms at Night” was one of the funniest things I ever read.</p>

<p>

Couldn’t resist :smiley: </p>

<p>Well, my summer reading just got easier. I’m on page 551 of Lonesome Dove as of today. The book reads quickly so don’t worry about its length.</p>

<p>My older sister read it when it first published. She had a conference to attend in San Antonio and took it with her. She wasn’t a fan of westerns but planned to read this one because of the buzz about it. She started it the night before the conference, picked it up again the next afternoon … and then never went back to conference. She stayed in her hotel room and read till finished. We were all surprised (including her) because she’s the last person who’d plan to attend something and then just skip it.</p>

<p>SJCM: If you’re reading posters’ favorite short stories, approach mine with caution. I listed “A Good Man Is Hard to Find” but I like it in the same way I like Poe. Don’t think of it as a warm fuzzy read.</p>

<p>And please list the books you’re reading now or in the next few weeks. It’s always interesting to see what’s on that bedside table. Mine:</p>

<p>Lonesome Dove - have to finish … yeah
The Hound of the Baskervilles - real life book club in six days. I’m halfway through … no problem
Willful Creatures - Aimee Bender - short stories - I got it to read “Ironhead” and plan to read the rest. Have read another one “Death Watch” and it had the same mix of weird but good as “Ironhead”.</p>

<p>I also picked up two from the library which have to be read and returned within two weeks (wait list). Doubtful I get both read.
The Husband’s Secret - Liane Moriarty
Midnight Crossroad - Charlaine Harris (New trilogy from the author of the Southern Vampire series - think HBO’s True Blood) </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Love it! Here it is: <a href=“http://sujith_v.tripod.com/stories/moons.txt”>http://sujith_v.tripod.com/stories/moons.txt</a></p>

<p>It won the Caldecott medal in 1944. Seems like a story A.J. would have enjoyed reading to Maya–a beautiful little girl in a world of silly adults.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m currently reading In the Light of What We Know by Zia Haider Rahman.</p>

<p><a href=“The World As We Know It | The New Yorker”>The World As We Know It | The New Yorker;

<p>My other book group is discussing the plays Cloud 9 by Caryl Churchill and M Butterfly by David Henry Hwang.</p>

<p>I ordered a used paperback copy of Lonesome Dove a few days ago and I look forward to reading it. Great story about your sister, Ignatius. That’s the kind of recommendation that I like!</p>

<p>Currently in progress for me: </p>

<p>Bark by Lorrie Moore–almost done with these short stories
The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz–reading selected parts
Farewell, My Subaru by Doug Fine–almost done
The Collected Works of Samuel Beckett: More Pricks Than Kicks–getting a taste not sure I’ll finish this one
Forgotten Grasslands of the South * by Reed F. Noss slowly working through</p>

<p>In the pile:

• Mr. Penumbra’s 25-Hour Bookstore *by Robin Sloan–recommended because I bought Fikry
    The Little Locksmith by Katharine Butler Hathaway
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams–fluff, beach read!</p>

<p>I don’t know yet what route my summer reading will take. I’m not good at reading books concurrently. As hard as I try to keep them separate, the characters keep wandering out of the pages of one book and into the other. </p>

<p>I may just jump right into those 820 pages of Lonesome Dove. I second ignatius’ comment re not worrying about the length. I mentioned to my husband that I was re-reading Lonesome Dove and he said “You’ll fly right through it–it’s like The Stand in that way.” True! Another lengthy tome that pulls you in and doesn’t let go.</p>

<p>I’m good with Lonesome Dove.</p>

<p>I’m currently reading one of the Dresden File books - Cold something or other. I am also slowly making my way through Keith Richard’s [i[Life.* I’m on page 250 of Brandon Sanderson’s [iWords of Radiance*, but my younger son snatched it back, so it’s up in Boston. I’ll either go back to it in August when he’ll be back from his summer job, or break down and buy a copy for us, or maybe it will appear at the library.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s a funny thought, Mary. If I were a comedy writer, I bet I could come up with some hilarious wanderings!</p>

<p>Maybe I’ll try reading *Lonesome Dove<a href=“didn’t%20realize%20it%20was%20800%20pages!”>/i</a> concurrently with the 500-page book I’m currently reading. It takes place in the present day, in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, the UK, New York and Princeton. I doubt there would be much wandering of characters between those settings and the American West of the 1800s.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I read that a year and a half ago or so. Liked the characters (the bookstore being one) … some of the technology drifted over my head … but good book.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that I seriously plan to read Megan Whalen Turner’s The Queen’s Thief series over the next couple months. I’ve read the first three The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia. I have had A Conspiracy of Kings sitting here since it came out. So I’ll happily be spending time wrapped up in that world.</p>