The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

Thanks @SpiritManager Guess we’ll see how that final ACT score looks in April. My kid should have been NM, but misbubbled the math section. He’s never taken a test at a school with the old tiny flip up desks. LOL. Oh well. It was really obvious once we saw the full results. There is a decent chance he can get a 35 on the ACT. He’s been working with a tutor once a week for a couple months so he’s practiced a fair bit at this point.

This is the part of the process where we have to be very careful in giving advice and opinions to the applicants
choices. Each family and applicant have a different set of circumstances where money might be an issue or not, the student/teacher relationship, where does the applicant feel he/she might fit or any other issues/concerns we might not be aware of and of course, their gut feeling. I will cheer and respect each one of the final choices knowing it was a tough decision and a big weight out of the applicants shoulders. No matter the decision, you are all winners.

Agree with @coloraturadad. I can give lots of opinions on making a list…but that final selection is so personal. I will however say something (surprise, surprise)

For those of you suffering, I have a few pieces of (unsolicited) advice:

1.) Celebrate with your kids this weekend. Seriously take the time to celebrate their accomplishments before the next step. They will be watching you. You need to communicate the faith that it will work out … bc it will!

2.) Be honest with them about money matters/concerns etc. Let them be mad, sad whatever. Just let them mourn a dream if necessary (and you too). My D has done it several times. The amount of anger/frustration (that we weren’t rich) was nothing compared to her gratitude now that she’s in a good position. It WILL pass.

3.) Then look closely at ANY affordable school…to make sure you aren’t missing the “bridge” to success. Many schools feed out to big cities, big grad schools. They have vast alumni networks. Sometimes your kid feels like if they don’t go to A now, they’ll never get there. Instead they should look at how the attn and network at B can get them to A in the future when they are 100% ready…and dare I say…have no debt and/or cash in their pocket. Then the dream is STILL alive and maybe more defined and realistic.

Hope this helps in some way.

Hi all. I’ve been lurking here for the last several months as my daughter has been on her audition journey (VP major, classical). Along with all of you, we are now knee deep in April angst so I thought I would throw our situation out there to get some of your feedback.

D had a very successful audition season getting accepted into all 7 schools to which she applied. She has also received sizable merit scholarships from most all schools. She has received varying amounts of talent scholarships. Much to our surprise and joy, during audition season she won a sizable outside scholarship from TMEA (Texas Music Educator’s Association-- Texas is our home state). There is a catch with the scholarship…she can only use it in the state of Texas and must complete a music program that results in a teaching certificate. Initially she had applied to all schools as a VP major, but once winning the scholarship, she went back to each Texas school to add music education. Some schools would allow her to double major in performance and education while some schools are making her choose.

We are still waiting for talent scholarship from what was her first choice school, but I’m not sure what to expect since talent awards has been all over the spectrum for her. We won’t dismiss this school as an option until we have their offer, but without a sizable talent scholarship it will not be a possibility.

Without mentioning the exact schools (since we have yet to commit) the most probably choices we have on the table right now are a mid-size state school with a reputable and large music department, but less reputable academics. The other choice is a fairly prestigious private school with a reputable music department and equally reputable academia. This is where things get a little complicated and are causing anxiety and uncertainty.

At the state school, D would have almost a full ride after academic merit and outside scholarships. She actually received no talent award here, but her academic award covers all tuition, so I’m not sure they would’ve even been allowed to offer additional scholarship. However, she can only major in music education. Music education majors take lessons with grad fellows, not profs. I also worry about the performance opportunities she would have there. I fear that the emphasis would be mostly on teaching and less on her development as a vocalist. In turn I fear that this could hurt her opportunity to continue on to graduate school should she choose. I don’t want to close doors before she even has the opportunity to make that decision.

At the private school, D has a sizable academic scholarship and a sizable talent award. After the school’s awards plus outside scholarships, cost of attendance would be around $28,000. This is a great reduction from the original $70,000 price tag. Here she would be able to double major in both VP and music ed. She was actually encouraged to do both. She would be able to study with a faculty member she respects. I’m sure the having this schools prestigious name on her resume will benefit her in the music education arena here in Texas and possibly even in the pursuit of grad school. The downside here is obviously the cost…While we can fund the majority of this cost, D would most likely have to take on some debt.

Since you CC’ers share similar situations and are familiar with the pursuits of musical kids, but are not emotionally involved in our individual process, I thought you all might be a good resource for opinions. To pay or not to pay, that is the question! :wink:

@MusakParent , my son had a 35 ACT. I am going to PM you with his merit results at different schools.

@apoole Has your D talked to any Classical Voice majors that are recently out of school to get advice. Maybe not from the schools you are looking at. (Many alumni have opinions about their school and may sway a one-sided opinion). It also may be hard to talk to current coach especially if they are at a University that you are planning on attending because they will have their own opinion. Talking to musicians working in the field is a good step in finding the answer. Classical Voice is different from a Jazz Degree or Popular voice so I can’t give advice but from my research from talking to musicians in the field is Grad school is more important than Undergrad. However, having a good teacher that is there for you, networking and connections can also be just as important.

It’s a total drag that the most prestigious and ultra competitive admits and offers happen at the bitter end of March—which means the chances of admission and scholarships are even lower than they already were for the plenty competitive schools that announced earlier. When you’ve been getting admit after admit and hefty scholarship after hefty scholarship until that point, everything starts to feel possible and maybe even likely, and our hopes can’t help but soar no matter how hard we try to hold them tight! Suddenly, even an incredibly competitive admit with no or minimal scholarship feels devastating, whereas that same offer, had it come at the first of March, would have had us dancing in the streets, ya know?!

So yes, take the time to celebrate all the WINS!

And then take a few breaths as you start to regain perspective. The whole process has always been risky—your kid might not get in, or, in some ways maybe even more painful, your kid might get in but not be able to afford it. But you went into that process anyway with eyes wide open—and, far as I can tell, the gamble paid off (and several times over for many of you)! Seems to me everyone here has great and affordable options. Sure, maybe a few programs may still be financially out of reach, but that was always to be expected. And even those admits are still a beautiful feather in your kid’s cap and serve as further confirmation that s/he is on the right path.

Now that (most?) all the knowns are in, hunker down and calculate those COAs and start getting excited about the legitimate options available to you. Look back to your notes (or CC posts) and remember the countless highs from visits and auditions and acceptances and scholarship notifications to those places. Look at sample 4-year curriculum plans and course descriptions and online dorm room tours and student youtube performances…connect with current students in the program…. Clarity will come, and enthusiasm is sure to follow!

@apoole - you have quite the conundrum. So I’ll tread carefully with a few comments.

Music Ed and VP are different (even if you want them to be similar). I would suggest looking hard at the curriculum and ensemble requirements. Look at VP only. Then ME only. And then how they go together to see what you are gaining and losing. Look at the Music Ed classes carefully. If your D ends up miserable in those classes while VP students are concentrated on performance, it could be trouble.

On the other hand, I know kids who did ME, were patient on the VP stuff (bc in classical VP you can be patient), studied with an outside teacher after graduation (to honestly catch up a bit - mainly bc part of
senior year they were away from the college doing student teaching) and then did well in grad school auditions. If it’s part of the “plan” and makes things affordable, it can work. The one kid I’m thinking about did want to do ME initially. So he was fine with his classwork. But after student teaching…he changed his mind. Another kid did BOTH initially (for 5 years) after student teaching he wanted to teach…and was bummed to have another year due to the double major. It is really so hard to decide at a young age. Both are happy now…so it all worked out.

If your D has a strong feeling one or other about “education”, I would be careful in going against that. But of course I would be careful about debt too. So maybe start with the curriculum…and then maybe move on to discussion about any concerns with future teachers. Maybe her private teacher would have some words of wisdom too. Good luck.

@apoole If you can afford it with minimal loans, I would go with the double VP/Music ed degree at the private school. I would not want to rely on grad students for instruction vs. full time faculty. The fact that the school is set up that way shows that they don’t take the music ed students as seriously. It will probably be evident in other opportunities, too.

Both my D’s attended NYU. My older D was a VP student and had full-time professors teach voice lessons and VP-required classes. They were excellent. My younger D, also a vocalist, was an art major but also took voice lessons at NYU (taught by grad students.) While my younger D enjoyed the lessons and they gave her the opportunity to continue singing weekly, there was no comparison between the caliber of instruction. (Her local vocal teacher on Long Island was better.) For most of the grad students, it was their first time teaching. Plus they only taught for one year, as they graduated and only taught as second year students. So your D will not have continuity in her instruction. Keep in mind that my younger D had the inside track on picking grad students, as the VP faculty advised her on who would be the best due to my D’s connection to the school. My VP D had the same voice teacher all four years, and continues to work with her on occasion over 5 years post-graduation.

@apoole The big red flag for me is that your D was not planning to do music ed until the scholarship came up (congrats on that, by the way!). It wasn’t her dream or she would have started out with it on her list. For this reason, I wouldn’t let her pursue an education that would in anyway diminish her actual dream which I assume is VP. So, as much as I love the school that is almost free (I live in the area - I’m almost 100% sure I know which schools you are talking about) I think she needs to do the double major if you can make it happen without crippling debt.

Fingers crossed her first choice comes through with all the money you need so the decision doesn’t have to be made!

@ScreenName48105 We had but we had also heard of kids getting big merit money offers at some of these schools so we went in hopeful. Also D is jazz voice not popular voice. Much more money in jazz voice versus pop voice from what I understand. We knew that 2 of her top choices could be stingy with merit money. New School surprised us and gave more than expected but still not enough. NEC surprised us and gave far less than expected. Frost came in as expected although we had hoped for more. It’s a guessing game honestly. You can see what the range of money is but there is no way of knowing who else is auditioning, how many spots are available and what you’re up against.

@MusakParent , you mentioned a merit aid thread and I wanted to look at it, but can’t locate it.

Anyone have an acceptance at NYU today. I’m not expecting any money but the directions to view aid are unclear. I can’t figure it out.

WoooHoooo Congrats @Melodyminor !!!

@SpartanDrew, yes I realize she’s jazz voice, but I meant in contrast to ‘classical’. I’m sure it differs from school to school but it seems like the line between jazz and popular is getting fuzzier and fuzzier.

Thank you all for your replies!! Just writing it out seemed to add clarity. @BassTheatreMom , it wasn’t until I actually wrote out the scenario that it hit me that by taking the inexpensive route, that she would be completely giving up the goal that she started with. Its easy to get overwhelmed by the process and bogged down in the details–especially the financial details.

I look forward to hearing where all your kiddos find their right fit!

@apoole I completely understand about getting overwhelmed and bogged down. I did it last year with my son (bass performance) and I’m doing it again this year with my daughter (musical theatre). It’s a crazy ride!

@apoole. I’ve also been following this thread closely as I have a junior son MP major in bassoon here in Texas. The two schools you mentioned are also on our list. He’s high stat’s and academically motivated like your daughter. The state school will be super affordable, the other one (which he loves) will probably require some loans to attend unless he recieves (if accepted) a good music scholarship in addition to merit aid.

My eldest attends the state school. He’s in the Honors program and has found his freshman year fairly easy so far. Mainly because many of the first year courses were already covered sufficiently by his AP high school classes. He attended a very competitive high school and took a fairly rigorous course load, was all out in band, has good study/scheduling habits. He’s scoring a 4.0 so far.

He thinks many of his fellow freshman students at this school are lazy and educationally unprepared for their classwork. He’s seen up to 60% of students disappear in his math, chemistry and biology classes within 3 weeks of class start in the last two semesters.

That said, he has found a rather large, great group of friends who are equally acedemically serious. He’s also likes nearly all of professors so far and has never been taught by a TA. He still plays his instrument in the lowest band (not a major or minor) and enjoys his director and loves his TA music tutor.

I have several friends in the neighborhood who also have students attending this school as performance majors who are high stat, serious academics and brilliant musicians. So far their kids are loving the performance aspect at this school and are excelling academically. All are in the Honors program. Maybe take a look at that option before ruling the school out on academics.

My youngest son doesn’t want to attend this particular state school because older brother attends and he was starry eyed after a visit to the gorgeous private school. I’m dreading the audition process.

Daughter received a $1000.00 scholarship at UC Irvine. I was wondering what the CA state schools would offer. This seems about right from what they posted on their music website (“limited scholarships”). Given that ASU offered 12K in talent and merit, I was hoping for a little more. But looking at the total COA, Irvine remains a winner for us. And it’s a grand a year we don’t have to pay! Woot woot!

@willrogers the scholarship thread is here! :slight_smile:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/2058784-which-music-schools-are-generous-with-the-scholarships.html#latest