The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>I have a TI-89 platinum edition since Algebra 1… I am going into ALgebra 2 and TRIG this year so I think they specified that were need a TI-89 for that level… I already had it though so it wasn’t really a problem</p>

<p>@ urbanflop i’m buying so much of my stuff there! i feel really helpless at home now knowing that all i can do is make lists and go crazy in the few days that i have to shop over there.</p>

<p>well, i’m gonna bring my ti-84 because it’s the only graphing calculator i have! and it’s such a waste to not bring it because graphing calculators are crazy expensive, even with an educational discount.</p>

<p>I use the TI-84 and have been since Algebra 1. It worked well for me through Algebra 2 and I am currently studying Pre-Calc. It’s still fine. 3-D graphs are usually done by hand since there’s not much you do with them that requires a calculator in Algebra 2, and Trig is perfectly fine with a TI-84. So if you have an 84 already, just bring it. No need for an 89 unless you really want one</p>

<p>@2014 - I seem to remember reading somewhere that Exeter was requiring the TI-89 but can’t for the life of me, find where on their website. I’ll look a little more. I guess my daughter will inherit the 84 since I already bought the 89 Titanium (which is what the links on the math dept page refer to). I’ll look a little more.</p>

<p>Yes, Exeter does require the TI-89. It is much more than a minor upgrade to the TI-84 (which we already had as was required in Middle School here). For example, it does symbolic algebra, etc, etc. (as well as 3D graphing). If I understand correctly, it will be used even in the first math classes our son will have as a Prep (9th grade) ar Exeter next month.</p>

<p>…and be sure to send plenty of AAA batteries. The TI-89 requires five I think? I bought my son’s off of Ebay for around 100 bucks, I think.</p>

<p>Here’s another plug for Goodwill ( or any other favorite big thrift store ).</p>

<p>We went last week and my D bought five pairs of Lucky Brand jeans, one pair of Levi 501’s and a brand spanking new pair of LLBean shearling slipper moccasins. Grand total $30.00. </p>

<p>And all we did was visit the jeans section and the shoe section :D</p>

<p>Parents, students, random lurkers: Does anybody know anything about Kittery Outlets and if they have the inexpensive bargains and boarding school clothes? Anything at all about Kittery Outlets in Maine would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I"ve been to Kittery outlets several times. They are typical outlet stores–you get your best deals when things are on sale or clearance. If you have a favorite store, and get on their mailing list, they’ll usually notify you when the outlets are having their big sales.</p>

<p>When I was at boarding school, I had my Leatherman Micra, and everyone wanted to borrow it for cutting up tape, cutting open packages, opening mineral water bottles, ripping seams, picking dirt out of fingernails…</p>

<p>Bring a ton of the Command-strip hooks to hang towels, your backpack, laundry bags, loose clothing, etc. The biggest part of room inspection is getting stuff off the floor.</p>

<p>Get a little bag with a couple extra mechanical pencils with erasers to keep in your backpack. It’s really uncomfortable not having a pencil during a test.</p>

<p>Find some cheap bookends cause it’s really annoying when books won’t stand up on the shelf.</p>

<p>Command-strip - genius!</p>

<p>Are you allowed to have pocket knives, or do you just not let anyone know that you carry one?</p>

<p>Yess the command strips are a HUGE help…they literally saved my life for room checks haha</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure I had my pocketknife (that is pretty small) at school last year…It did come in handy for a few things, but I wouldn’t say it’s a necessary. A lot of people have those super small retractable craft knifes that also work very well. Mine came from Jo-ann’s craft stores for like two dollars</p>

<p>A visual:
[OLFA</a> TK-4R OLFA Touch Knife, Red Detail Page](<a href=“Olfa Products OlfaProducts.com”>http://www.olfaproducts.com/SPD/olfa-tk-4r-olfa-touch-knife--red--8FC0000-1144684452.jsp)
Clearly not one of those heavy duty/ dangerous ones</p>

<p>if your mailing your stuff, space bags</p>

<p>If you were going to Andover, what would you need to bring?</p>

<p>man this is great!!</p>

<p>thanks for the advice. I’m applying to a bunch of east coast and california schools for next fall. for anyone thats gotten in; how hard is it to be accepted and what are the chances of me getting in? I have all A’s, pretty decent teacher recommondations, fair athletics, performing arts, and I would add to the diversity. Help?</p>

<p>@Keenangirl- It really doesn’t matter if they allow them or not, no one really cares all that much.</p>

<p>I highly highly doubt you’d get in trouble for a knife, barring something weird like a butcher knife under your pillow.</p>

<p>you won’t get in trouble, no worries.</p>

<p>If your looking for boots, buy Sorrels or Hunter boots over uggs. UGGS are so comfy, but they stain horribly. Sorrels are so warm and waterproof an come in cool designs. Rain boots are just practical and awesome.</p>