The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>Nothing guarantees getting into the Ivy’s but it soesn’t hurt either.</p>

<p>what are some stores that everybody chose to shop in?</p>

<p>look back a couple pages or find a thread on this or pm me.</p>

<p>haha. actually, i’ve already read a bunch of posts about what stores to shop in. i was just trying to get back to the subject of supplies. lol</p>

<p>oh, okie doke. j.crew just came out with their fall clothes! but i’m waiting until they get less expensive. because i want lots of camis, some cords and a skirt, and it’s way too expensive to buy that new.</p>

<p>Izzy, you seem to have gotten me “hooked” on J.Crew and seem like you would be able to answer this question: Do you know anything about their Factory Stores?</p>

<p>No I do not. UNfortunately for me, the only available J. Crew currently is online and in-store. My friend mentioned a J. Crew Factory Store and offered to take me though, and I’m gonna try to see if I can go in the fall.</p>

<p>urban–we just hit a j. crew factory store in Myrtle Beach, SC and got some great deals in the guys’ clearance section on pants and shirts (everything priced under $20). They also give an automatic discount to students with a college/high school id. </p>

<p>But my best J Crew deals come from Goodwill. :slight_smile: Recycling is better for the environment too!</p>

<p>Am I the only one that J Crew is HUGE on me? I can shope at madewell, and all those stores, but all of J Crew sizes are just giant. And I am not petite at all. I am like 5’7!</p>

<p>maybe they’re wide. do you have a thin frame? the clothes just might not fit you horizontally…</p>

<p>Well, thanks everyone and classical mama I will look into the Goodwill and see if I can find my school ID!</p>

<p>This is aimed specifically at Andover but if anyone else has an idea how to answer this, shoot. I have a fuzzy lounge chair that is basically like a folding chair with a metal frame from pb teen. I was wondering whether or no they would allow this at andover?</p>

<p>here’s my list; sort of in categories. i have way too many little comments on the side, haha. wow. i also added a list for clothes but i’m not sure if it’s complete (don’t blame me, i’m from the philippines and i have NO idea what to bring! this is based off of everyone else’s lists)</p>

<p>clothing (for girls):
bathrobe
blouses
button-down polos
cardigans
dresses
flats
flip flops
heels (for dances, when you want to dress up)
hoodies
jeans
polos
rainboots (patterned wellington boots are apparently popular!)
raincoat
running shoes (or any sport-specific shoes)
sandals
scarves
shorts
shower slippers
skirts
sleeping pants (for winter)
sleeping shirts
sleeping shorts (for spring and fall)
sneakers
snow boots (north face, merrell, sorel, l.l. bean)
socks
sweaters
t-shirts
tank tops
uggs (for around the dorm. i don’t think i’ll actually be wearing my uggs out)
underwear (lots of it)
winter coat
winter fleece jacket (i.e. the northface)</p>

<p>for the room:
adaptors (especially if you’re from a different country!)
air freshener (odor eaters, febreze)
alarm clock (apparently the kind that plays music isn’t as effective as the kinds that vibrate or flash lights)
bed raisers (to make your bed higher so you can store stuff underneath. but apparently exeter has adjustable beds!)
butterfly chair/extra chair (when you want to lean back without tipping over in those desk chairs)
comforter (for the winter. they are apparently unbearable in the spring and fall. i know someone who slept on her tile floor)
corkboard (pushpins aren’t allowed in the walls!)
desk lamp (if needed. check if your boarding school provides one, or wait to see what the lamp there is like)
dry erase board (to hang outside your room! a lot of people like to leave messages)
ethernet cord (to connect to the internet)
extra shelving (again, wait until you get there to see how big the room is, and to see if your roommate brought one / agrees to split money with you to buy one)
fan (for the spring)
floor lamp (again, overhead lighting is stark)
foldable laundry hampers (if you’re cramped on space, this is good)
full-length mirror
hangers (LOTS OF THEM)
humidifier (for the winter. but hanging a drying wet towel in your room should be okay)
landline phone (they don’t supply it! but it doesn’t have to be anything extravagant as landlines aren’t used too often)
over-the-door hook (to hang belts, towels, coats, etc)
pillow cases
pillows (the one they gave me at summer school was like a potato sack. no joke)
plates and utensils (you’ll need something to eat your leftovers with)
printer
printer cartridges
rug (particularly nice for those with wood and tiled floors)
shower caddy (with holes, so that the water comes out)
sticky tack (no holes are allowed in the wall! use this to stick up your posters and stuff)
surge protector/power bar (you only have so many outlets)
towels
beach towel (YES, there is a difference)
tupperwares (to store leftover stuff. rubbermaid is good)
twin xl sheets (make sure they’re twin XL!)
under-the-bed storage boxes</p>

<p>miscellaneous:
assignment notebook / planner (to write down assignments and stuff)
bag: backpack / tote (my friend says that totes suck when it rains, so try to get one that closes. or, you know, put your sweater over it)
binder
bond paper (printing, projects, etc)
calendar (just so you can visualize your deadlines, breaks, etc)
decorations for wall (photos, posters, etc)
desk organizer (just so you can keep your things together)
dry erase markers (for the whiteboard)
dryer sheets (fabric softener)
expandable folder (a personal preference - i just like keeping my papers together this way)
extra batteries (AA, AAA)
frisbee
graphing calculator (i’m bringing a texas instruments TI-84 plus)
headphones (noise-canceling ones are nice)
highlighters
kleenex (lots of peoples’ immune systems drop in the winter. yay, colds)
labelmaker
laundry detergent
laundry pens (for last-minute labeling)
lint roller (for some reason, there’s lint EVERYWHERE)
loose-leaf ruled paper
magazine holders, to organize papers (and magazines. if you like)
notebooks
pens and pencils
playing cards (boredom killer)
post-its (yes. yes. yes)
stationary, to write home (some people really like getting birthday cards)
three-hole puncher
unrefrigerated food (pop tarts, granola bars, ramen noodles etc, for when you get hungry at night)
water bottle (or bottles of water. either way. but a water bottle is more pro-environment)
white-out</p>

<p>okay, that’s my list so far! i hope i made you remember something (:</p>

<p>Wow, thanks alot aeroplanes. That’s really helpful, though I know your new too! But I heard that more people like to have the TI-89, because it has so functioning capabilities that the TI-84 doesn’t…</p>

<p>note - heels for dances?? Bring heels, but don’t expect to wear them to the parties. Those are for formals… bring neon, crazy clothes for the dances</p>

<p>How many notebooks, binders, etc. should you bring? One for each class? Each teacher should want you to bring different materials, right? Are you guys going to bring one for each class?</p>

<p>@ urbanflop well, i acquired my ti-84 on an educational discount, so i don’t think there’s much of a difference. the ti-89 is just newer, i think. are you gonna be a new prep? (:
@ frosty oh right, there’s a difference. hahaha
@ nerdgeekdork i’m gonna bring one or two, and buy more at the bookstore if i need them. i don’t want to bring too many in case i really don’t have too many papers, but i want to bring some in case a teacher wants her own separate binder. i’ll figure it out when i get there!</p>

<p>Yep, I am coming in as a new prep. I would recommend that you don’t buy too many supplies especially if your flying there, because I heard that many of the teachers specify what they want on the first day, but it would be good to get some beforehand too.</p>

<p>This is a funny fake convo about who’s bringing what to the room.</p>

<p><a href=“Dropout - Independent, ad-free, uncensored comedy | Dropout”>Dropout - Independent, ad-free, uncensored comedy | Dropout;

<p>@urbanflop, the only reason you would need the TI-89 is if you need to do 3-D graphs, which you won’t be doing at least until you’re a senior (unless you’re a math genius). I’m getting the TI-84.
@aaeroplanes …thx!</p>