The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

yeah Loomis has one that’s a new student-run website (bunction) it’s basically a worse version of eBay but shoutout to whoever made it I guess.

Cate has a huge giveaway at the end of the year. I don’t know the details, and I am not aware of an online component. But seniors put out all of their things they don’t want to take home, and students scavenge. There are things like fridges, furniture, etc that have been handed down for years. Kiddo has had some great finds, especially clothes.

Apparently in 2020 there were some sweet finds left behind because of the abrupt end to the covid school year. Audio systems, monitors, all kinds of goodies.

1 Like

Boys I know at groton seem to stick with windbreakers all winter, maaaaaybe a lined windbreaker.

I would add Plan B to the supply list now.

4 Likes

Most boarding schools we know of have Plan B in the health center, if needed.

1 Like

For now.

Post deleted.

1 Like

How much, approximately, does summer storage cost? (Andover specifically if anyone knows.) We don’t live in driving distance, so we’re trying to figure out if we should purchase nicer bulky items (mattress topper) and keep them for 4 years or not. Thank you.

The affordable option for your kid to become besties with a day student, whose parents might cook them a nice meal once in a while, house them for a long weekend, and store their stuff over the summer. :grin:

8 Likes

Our school uses collegeboxes.com. It’s pretty darn expensive, but we’ll probably use it next summer. This summer we stored stuff at a relative’s house but honestly my air ticket and the rental car to schlep are more expensive. I searched and Andover was in there but I don’t know for sure if that’s the confirmed option. It’s a good idea to think of this now. Some kids go crazy furnishing.

2 Likes

@skieurope Here’s hoping that this happens to work out. :grin:

3 Likes

@spoonbender Thanks for the information. This helps me get an idea about the price range hopefully.

I know it’s a few weeks far from acceptance time and it’s probably a bit presumptuous to ask this, but does anybody have like a list of what they packed to boarding school and how that worked out for them? Like 5 white T-Shirts, 5 Sweatshirts, etc. Probably varies from person to person, but I just want to have a general sense of what people packed in previous years, since my mom wants to start shopping early.

It is

Given that you are male, you probably should further clarify by asking what they packed for their second year at BS. Since from experience, many males are content with one tee, one sweatshirt, one set of sheets, etc. The rest of their classmates are happy if they changed their underwear and socks.

2 Likes

True. Also realized that supply lists also come from schools as well, so probably wise to wait for now.

It also depends on the school you choose to attend. Dress codes vary from none (so total slob) to jacket and tie. Can’t really make a recommendation until you know where your school falls on that spectrum.

1 Like

A lot will also depend on whether or not you choose to use a laundry service (as you will need more clothing to work around the timing of pick up & delivery). Neither of my kids currently use the laundry service (which is a complete shock to me) and they are good with about one week’s worth of clothes. Of course, freshman year, I made sure they each had at least 2 weeks worth of clothes, but each break/year they seem to pack fewer and fewer things. Also, once you’ve committed to a school, reach out to a current student for the real deal on dress code. Kiddo2 goes to a more formal school, so we sent him with a ton of polos, button down shirts and ties (they have dress days twice a week), and it turns out they can just throw a hoodie over a t-shirt on non dress days and can choose a blazer OR tie for dress days (kiddo 2 chooses the former).

My daughter moved to a colder climate and was puzzled by the expensive ski gloves I bought for her. She now says it’s her favorite item. The ski pants however may not have been used, but at least she went outside in fashionable black leggings.

Late March a lot of stores discount heavy winter coats.

2 Likes

This is probably aimed for the male audience. From my own experience at a BS (with sport jacket/tie uniform mandatory), have 3 jackets and 6 pairs of pants. 3 pairs of pants dark and 3 pairs khaki. And depending on how disciplined one is with cleanliness and laundry, anywhere from 5-10 dress shirts. I seem to have gone through 3 ties a year if memory serves me correct.

1 Like