The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

Topsiders were the “fancy loafers” in my day, and Air Jordans were “designer” kicks.

But boys in general are less label conscious than girls, IME. I don’t think I ever saw Balenciaga sneakers worn until after college. And even then, I chalked that up to people with more dollars than sense

3 Likes

We gave our kiddo a Master Card gift card and Amazon gift card at the start of each school year. This way the budget was already set for things that might be needed or wanted at the start of the school year.

1 Like

We did the same - as expected, he definitely thinks more and is more careful when spending his “own” money (even though we gave him the gift card amounts…)

1 Like

Other things BS kids don’t use despite our best efforts: gloves, hats, umbrellas, rain shells/jackets.

7 Likes

And if you insist on getting your kid an umbrella, do not get the XL kind, commonly known as a golf umbrella. Nobody needs an umbrella with a 70" canopy to go between buildings.

5 Likes

Those are used for swordplay. Rain is deflected by an expensive textbook or iPad over the head.

5 Likes

What kind of coats do kids wear in New England for the coldest weather? On a budget. I really just wonder how thick or what type? We live in a hot climate, so coats are a mystery…

DS had a North Face one. I believe his had a removable liner.

If you look at places like LL Bean, they often give temperature ratings. My advice is to get one that works well at or below the coldest temps because it is likely to see action for a day outside post snow or a bonfire at night.

Check out pics on insta at your school. Some girls prefer the longer ones, but I will guess there are some style preferences that vary school to school.

This is a good time to find them on sale.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try LL Bean, nothing is available in stores in our area. My son will definitely not be used to the cold!

not surprisingly, a ** free ** lacrosse jacket I hauled out of a church sale was warmer than the actual down jacket my parents got…

2 Likes

@maybeboardingmom , some of the places to look online include rei, stio, sierra, lands end, ll bean, patagonia, etc. And check their outlets! Even here, where snow is the norm, the winter stuff has left the stores.

2 Likes

I think this is the one I have, but mine is an endicott jacket, it’s pretty cheap and I’d reccomend it, has helped a lot dealing with connecticut weather!

it’s also on amazon.

1 Like

I’m guessing he will need a jacket as well as a coat?

What are these “jackets” of which you speak?

2 Likes

Helpful Hint: You can check out the Instagram pages of kids at your future school - many of them have dedicated pages for selling their stuff - including clothes, dorm room decor, boots, TV’s, sporting equipment, bikes, scooters, etc.

BTW - if you are heading to Deerfield, my kid will be having a tag sale run by me if that room is not cleared out before graduation!

2 Likes

Really!

I’ve not seen my kid wearing such an item. I’m not sure - kid might have traded away all such items.

2 Likes

Bunction @ loomis is a page like this!

2 Likes

What us in the South wear when it dips below 80 :cold_face:

2 Likes

Do you mean individual student accounts or a school account? Thanks!

I am not sure what Loomis does….

At DA (so far) it’s individual accounts. I wish there would be a school-wide “flea market” at the end of the year (not only online) :wink:

1 Like