The Wait List

Yes, I think sometimes people misstate. We all do it. We know what we mean, but we’re careless in how we convey that meaning.

In the case of the quote above, it is not possible to be both admitted and WL’d (for any reason). Those are two different and separate statuses. A student is either admitted or rejected or waitlisted, no two can be concurrent. You are one or another. That’s it. The closest status to the quote is “admitted without FA.”

Note that it is also possible to be admitted with insufficient FA, but that is another story. When M10 rolls around, you will read every variation here, and the archives of previous M10s is a trove on knowledge well worth reading in advance of your decision(s).

Good luck to everyone.

I am so happy to have put that Mona Lisa smile on so many faces!

And more delighted to know that some of you are curating your collections. Here’s looking at you, @Calliemomofgirls !

Thanks @one1ofeach and @ChoatieMom for taking the time to explain the way acceptance and wait lists work. The explanation you gave is what I would have expected.

@gardenstategal I expect your post probably had some on this forum rummaging in their attic in the hope of finding a hitherto unknown piece of artwork they could take to the Antiques Roadshow in the hope that it could be sold to cover boarding school costs.

Thought I’d share my personal experience albeit with a highly ranked private 4-12 day school.
DD was accepted and waitlisted for FA (reason given - commitment to existing FA families unexpectedly increased). We were told that we could stay on the waitlist in the hope of the school’s FA situation changing or come off the waitlist. We chose to come off.

This is the definition of waitlisted-for-FA. The reason anyone is WL’d for FA is due to lack of available funds from the school for any reason the school finds itself in that position. Inherent in the term “waitlisted” is that the student is admissible/acceptable, but waitlisted-for-FA is a WL status, not an Admit status because the student will not be able to matriculate unless sufficient funds free up from the school and the school ends up with an open slot matching that student’s profile after all decisions have come in. This is what all schools mean by waitlisted-for-FA.

Again, I think the confusion here is the terms “accepted” and “waitlisted” in the same sentence. A school may actually use those terms, but what it means is that the student is accepted to the wait list with all that entails.

Now, if a school explicitly stated that a student has been WL’d for FA but is guaranteed admission if the family can commit to self-funding by A10, that would be a conditional offer of admission rather than a WL decision, but I have never heard of that here, and it doesn’t seem like anyone is chiming in with examples.

If your student does end up wait listed for FA, and you DO find a source of four-year-funding (or however many years your child will attend), you should definitely contact the school and let them know of your changed status as that will move your child’s application to the no-need WL which has more potential for movement after A10.

@PhotographerMom Thank you for your recommendations! I am working on Plan B now as I type. I like the calm before the storm approach. Luckily, the student I’m helping got accepted into her safety private day school not too far away from home, though her heart is set on a boarding school. Some of the 25-50 ranked (again, they’re all amazing schools, regardless of what a ranking says) were already on our list of initial applications. But I will add a few more and plan to call in case we don’t receive great news on M10. Thanks again for all the helpful advice, it’s much appreciated!

You are most welcome, @MentorBee ! I see some newcomers pouring in so I will post again so everyone is battle ready. :slight_smile: Good luck!!

What to do if you get waitlisted at your first choice school :

Here’s the drill :

If you receive a WL decision from your first choice school and an acceptance from another school- the steps are pretty simple:

1. Accept a place on the WL via email with Delivery and Read Receipts.

2. Schedule a Revisit Day and put the WL school OUT OF YOUR MIND for now. Go to Revisit Day and have a great time.

You’ll have one month for the WL to shakeout and to make a decision about the other school . If you want to go the distance with the WL school ( WITHOUT jeopardizing the other school ) you’ll have until A9. On A8 have your PARENT call the WL school and ask to speak to the DOA. Tell WL school that you have to act on an acceptance from another school before the deadline but you’d like to check WL status ( one last time ) before you do. If they tell you that they’re NOT going to the WL or they don’t expect much movement- thank them and have them remove your name from the WL.

It’s time to MOVE ON unless you choose to stay on the WL. If WL school miraculously does come through ( after A10 ) you’ll have to break your commitment with the other school and forfeit your deposit (which is NOT a mere bag of shells, by the way ) . Personally, I could never take this route because I’m waaay too frugal and I like closure .

I’m also big on keeping commitments- but that’s just me. So- now we’re one or two days away from the deadline…

1. Now that you’ve given the WL time to play out ( and you can walkaway and never wonder because you’ve seen it through to the end… ) : Have your parent call the school ( you’ll be attending ) and tell them the deposit check is on it’s way via FedEx.

THE END. LOVE THE SCHOOL THAT LOVES YOU. PERIOD.

Now, If you’re handed all Waitlists without any acceptances … Here’s basically what you need to know :

Unfortunately, all you can do is remain calm. Out of the gate, I highly recommend that a WL student sends an email to all the school (s) just as I outlined in Step One above. Then the waiting truly begins because the AOs are completely focused on accepted students and Revisit Days until A10.

Yes, a waitlist parent can call an AO M10-A10 to echo what was said in their child’s WL email, or to get a WL status update, but just remember where the AO focus is ( as cruel as that sounds- I’m so sorry! ), and please remember that all interaction between you and the AO truly matters. IMHO- it’s better to remain cool, upbeat and patient at all times . Persistence ( aka stalking ) has worked out well according for some persistent parents… but it has also backfired miserably on numerous parents , too. Everyone operates differently and I’m not here to tell anyone what to do… just do what feels best and works well for your family.

If I had to pick two days for a WL parent to call ( after the M10 student email accepting a place on the WL ) , I would pick the day after their last scheduled revisit day ( see school website ) and A11- the day after contracts/ deposits are due… but that’s just me. I think it’s perfectly fine to call anytime before or on A9, too. Just NOT on A10… because it’s absolutely nuts in every BS AO office that day.

*** THIS IS IMPORTANT *** Before and after A10, you’ll hear about some WL movement here on CC. You’ll also see discouraging posts saying that your school has closed their WL. Please DISREGARD these posts unless you’ve received the SAME letter, email, or you were told the same information over the phone by the AO. You may not be receiving the same information for a good reason.

Most schools send out a blanket notification to all families when they officially close their WL… While some ( forgive me ) will leave you languishing in the desert forever.

FWIW- even though it’s rare, some Waitlist movement can happen before school begins in late August / early September. Movement can also occur in July, too … because that’s when the big money is due, but please don’t hang your hat on it. Life intervenes, plans change and spots at BSs do open up, but sadly it’s still very rare to be offered a spot .

The best WL advice that I’ve heard during M10-A10 ( and beyond ) is to keep an open heart, keep doing all the things you love , and keep moving forward . If you need to pause and vent- there are plenty of veterans ( parents and students ) that are here for you… many who have experienced exactly what you’re going though and could give much better WL advice than I can. So definitely reach out if you need to - even if it’s for a lousy cyber hug.

Also important: You may need a Plan B…

If you get completely shutout on M10 and BS enrollment for next fall is an absolute must either because you don’t have a viable school option at home, or your child just really, really, really, really wants to go ( which happens more often than most people think … ) … I recommend researching schools with forgiving admission rates and compiling a list with DOA phone numbers attached NOW. Also- maybe look at some single sex schools so you’ll be ready to act quickly ( if you need to ) just before or soon after A10.

Tip: You won’t be alone. I know many families who were unsuccessful with their Hail Mary placement efforts post A10 - mainly because they clung to a stupid Waitlist too long instead of contacting other schools- so don’t delay! Just do it and don’t look back. You never know- the Post A10 Hail Mary school might just be where you were meant to be all along. File it under: Sometimes things happen for a reason. :slight_smile:

Regardless of what your BS dreams are today - families ( who truly want or need BS placement for next year ) should have at least one " Plan B- What If… WL- Rejection- BS Zombie Apocalypse " conversation prior to M10 . Perhaps take some time to explore and discuss other possible- future BS options/ alternatives together… just in case the apocalypse comes . I know it’s very unpleasant , and you certainly don’t want to dampen spirits right now, raise your blood pressure, or throw a wet blanket on good vibes leading up to M10, but IMHO, you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having a “what if” talk now ( while everything is calm ), and a Plan B ready to go just in case.

Wow- that was really unpleasant and long, but I hope it helps. All the best and good luck M10!! And I’ll definitely have my fingers crossed that you won’t need any of this! :slight_smile:

Please read Post #2508 first!

Let’s go back to PLAN B for a very long-winded second !

Having a Plan B prior to M10 doesn’t only apply to full pay students/ families. If you require ANY amount of aid ( including a full ride ), it would behoove you to have a Plan B in place, too!! FWIW- Many BSs don’t always award all their FA just to award it on M10. Sometimes they’d rather reserve some of it for when the right candidate or candidates come along. Sometimes a post A10- Hail Mary applicant can be “The One” they’ve been looking for all along and boom- that student is accepted post A10 with FA.

Maybe you cold call a BS ( not on your original list ) after A10, and they encourage you to apply because someone that very morning gave up their spot and FA, and there isn’t a viable candidate/ app next in line… ( not that they would EVER disclose that information to you ), but I’m sure you can see how luck, determination, and timing ( see BS Gods ) can sometimes play a major role with late placement .

Post FA scenarios- especially the "Where have you been all my life - You’re a perfect fit for us " admissions scenario is always considered fairly rare, but it can- and it does happen- sometimes more often than people think! Without getting anyone’s hopes up too much- you just can’t possibly know if this could be your ultimate outcome unless you try- Hence - Plan B!

First, everyone ( FP and FA ) needs a new and improved mindset: Regardless of your stellar mind-blowing stats and Carnegie Hall appearances ( I know… I know… ) - I strongly suggest compiling a Plan B list of schools taken from the Top 25-50 - which should include some amazing iconic single sex schools. Heck- they’re all pretty amazing and iconic! But be forewarned- these schools are also the top choice for many discerning top students and their families. Just know that before going in… they’re quite popular and have a cult like following like Top Ten schools have , too…

Just not here on CC for whatever bizarre reason.

If you get unpleasant results on M10 just remember this : YOU chose schools that have the most unforgiving acceptance rates in the universe, but that fact doesn’t make other schools in the Top 25-50 " less than" or somehow beneath you. Make sense? Trust me- you won’t be stooping or gracing schools that fall outside the Top Ten with your presence. If you want to move forward- you will need to change the failed mindset that led you to this very unholy place in the first place, and shop all these other wonderful schools outside the Top Ten with renewed spirit, confidence and ( just say it ) intelligence.

Okay- onward. Now that I got that out of my system one last time …

If you do have an unfortunate outcome M10 and do call around to schools post A10, please do not talk to some random receptionist or AO who picks up the phone. A PARENT should always call and ask to speak directly to the Director of Admissions because only he or she will have the info you need . Simply ask them if they’re open to receive a late application and if they are, get it off to them ASAP and follow up. As I’ve mentioned above- you won’t be the only family doing this. If you’re lucky and they invite you for an interview and tour after they’ve read your late app - MOVE MOUNTAINS and GO!! Like my caps? AOs usually don’t extend invitations for an interview and tour Post A10 to anyone unless they like what they see on an app, so go and seal the deal!

SCHOOLS WITH ROLLING ADMISSIONS:

BSs with Rolling Admissions tend to change year to year, but you can find a list of schools on the SSAT website. Last year, there were some top notch schools on the list that I would’ve sent my kids to in a heartbeat. Seriously- I almost fell off my chair when I saw some of the names on the list!! So definitely check it out now and continue to check the list as it gets updated throughout Spring.

Remember- this list changes year to year ( for a myriad of reasons which has NOTHING to do with quality, desirability, or the number of apps they’ve received prior to M10 ) and a school being on the RA list shouldn’t negatively impact anyone’s opinion of the school in any way, shape or form - unless you’re a total snob for whatever reason. Some schools on last year’s list had ( and still have ) a 35% acceptance rate! IDK about you, but I’ve never sneezed at a 35% acceptance rate … but I’d still like to meet anyone who does- just so I know what that sounds like… . :wink:

The Good News: Some amazing BSs also put themselves on Rolling Admissions because they know there are always quality latecomers ( like you! ) who missed the deadline for the last round and they’re encouraging people to apply. They also know that some really great students and their families will get shutout on M10- and there’s absolutely no shame associated with that because it happens all the time. If you see a school or two that you like on the RA list- apply and see what happens!! Even better- if you’re concerned about M10 today , and want to have an edge on other late applicants- call and see if they’ll accept an app now or before or after A9!! What do you have to lose?

More Good News : Whether you go down your own list and cold call schools in the Top 25-50, or take on schools from the SSAT RA List, it is possible to still find placement Post A10 and the school of your new dreams for next year- FA or FP. These schools are in the position to offer ANY student ( FP or FA ) a world class education. It may be more boutique than big box cattle call school, but you will never have to compromise on academic excellence, athletics, campus beauty and college placement. It’s worth a shot.

So- please don’t hesitate to put together a Plan B- especially if you NEED a school for next year. Based on my experience on CC during M10-A10 over waaay too many years , it could arguably be the best use of your time right now leading up to decisions. Do it now while everything is calm, because I can assure you that it won’t be calm later on if you receive all waitlists and rejections.

All the best to everyone and good luck on M10 !!

What are some quality schools that I should apply to in the worst possible scenario?

Hi @Chan2006 - I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, I can only supply a roadmap - not the destination.

Hang in there!

@Chan2006 - What were your criteria for choosing the schools to which you applied?

@CaliMex A school with good academics, especially STEM program is important to me.

In a typical year, there is very little movement for PEA (though w corona virus who knows if a few will decline in the height of the concern). So in terms of Exeter, there is basically very, very little chance vs the 100s on a WL, sorry to say.

Here is a quick run down of my app-
good grades
good interview
good essays
good recommendations
terrible ssat score(70th percentile)
great psat I submitted(98th percentile)
great tennis player(according to coach)
part of foundation for cerebral palsy
lives in small town in Nevada
Do you guys think I have a chance to be pulled of the waiting list? If so should I submit or do anything else?

@Tennisplur1243: No one can tell anyone what their particular chances of coming off any WL are except, in general, they are very slim and you should move on.

Posts #2508 and #2509 will tell you everything you need to know about being WL’d and what to do.

@PhotographerMom how do i search for those schools with a rolling admission date?

@kids42moms The SSAT website has a list which is updated now and throughout the year. Good luck!! :slight_smile:

Did you apply Financial Aid? My DS was waitlisted at Middlesex School and Concord Academy. We applied FA.

FINE PRINT ON WAIT LISTS AND FINANCIAL AID

Popping up here to further clarify a fine point of @ChoatieMom’s and @PhotographerMom for those who applied for financial aid and are wait-listed. This scenario happened to us many moons ago.

At the majority of schools (except need blind schools) applying for financial aid significantly decreases your chances of being accepted. This stinks but it is a reality. Here is how that plays out.

Step 1: Admissions committee reads all applications, discusses who to admit, and makes decisions. For accepted full pay candidates, congrats you are now in and will receive an acceptance letter. For some on the edge WHO DO NOT NEED AID, you are now placed on the wait list.

Step 2: Applicants seeking financial aid who were also in the “we would like to admit” pile are now put into a new bucket and the whole process starts again for them. The financial aid committee meets to discuss these kids. They come to this meeting armed with new information from coaches, teachers and admissions identifying what “holes” the school most needs to fill. Money is allocated both based on a family’s need and on how badly they need a pitcher or tuba player or debate champ next year.

Step 3: Discussions now ensure over how the available money is divided between these candidates that are in the “we would like to admit” bucket. Priority is given to the candidates that fill the most dire needs. Some schools actually prefer to offer a full ride or a large sum to a very attractive candidate vs offering less money to several candidates. This is because the schools know they are competing with other schools for that tuba player and they want to increase their odds of that student enrolling so the band will not fall apart.

Step 4: THERE ARE ALWAYS MORE GREAT CANDIDATES THAN THERE ARE DOLLARS in the “would like to admit” bucket. When we were in this situation with my daughter for the class of 2016, NMH told us they had six times more kids in that “would like to accept” bucket than they had dollars to allocate.

Step 5: Once these very tough decisions are made by the committee, a new batch of letters is prepared. Students who “won” this round now receive acceptance letters and financial aid. A small amount of the students in this bucket will be rejected now (ex- They choose a different field hockey goalie and that was the applicant’s super power). The bulk of the applications in this bucket will now be waitlisted. This is where different schools use different terminology. Some schools feel it is cruel to send a letter saying “you are admitted, but we do not have financial aid for you at this time.” These schools maintain one wait list for everyone and your letter may or may not specify if finances had anything to do with your decisions. You will receive a letter that simply says “you are waitlisted”

Some schools feel applicants should at least know that they cleared the very high hurdle of meeting the school’s criteria for admission, even though they are not allocating any aid to the student at this time. These letters may say something like "We were impressed and you met our criteria for admittance. Well done you! But we have no financial aid to offer at this time. Please let us know if you want to remain on a waitlist for financial aid. APPLICANTS WHO GET THIS LETTER ARE ALSO STILL WAITLISTED.

Step 6: A spot opens up! Schools will now have a discussion about who gets that spot. They prioritize “holes” once again, and look for the hockey player they still need. If they have a hockey player in the full pay bucket that fits the hole, she’s in! If that hockey star needs aid the school needs to see how much financial aid is available and determine if it is enough to make it possible for that student to attend. They will not offer this hockey star a spot if she needs more $$ than are left in the bucket. The school needs to know that whichever candidate takes this spot can attend.

This is why the wait list so seldom leads to an acceptance. However, every year there are some hockey players and tuba players who magically land a spot. This is why we advocate for calling admissions BUT NOT TODAY and asking straight forward questions like “Are you looking for a hockey player?” and “Do you have any dollars left in your bucket?” Personally I think most admissions offices appreciate direct questions so that they can answer frankly.

If you are one of the parents like us who applied for financial aid without realizing how much more difficult it makes it to be accepted and you just wanted to roll the dice, and are now faced with a slew of wait lists AND you have some way to become full pay (grandparents, loans, or joining some of us in the “rice and beans” club, CALL YOUR FIRST CHOICE SCHOOL IMMEDIATELY (BUT NOT TODAY) AND OFFER TO PAY FULL TUITION. I have helped two other CC families in this predicament turn wait lists into acceptances. My parents agreed to bridge the gap for us.

For most families, this is not a possibility. You have no choice but to wait and see if a spot opens and money is left in the piggy bank. However, as cruel as the process is, schools do also accept a few unhooked FA applicants off the wait list every year. NMH called these applicants “Sticky Kids” when we applied. These are the applicants that everyone loved and the schools really want to admit even though they do not fill any specific “hole.” They are the kids that the teachers really will love having in class and the coaches will love coaching because they shine in some less bucketable way. You just may be a sticky kid! I know this is a very trying process, and you should be so proud of yourselves for rolling the dice and giving it your best and we are all keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Note: This is a simplified explanation of a quite messy process. Schools agonize over these decisions and frequently blur the bucket lines. Schools do not all organize themselves identically.

Hello everybody, recently, I got waitlisted at Milton Academy, Middlesex School, Concord Academy, The Webb Schools and Berkshire School. Is there any possibility for me to get re-accepted? How many students are usually on the waitlist? What should I do to boost my chance of getting accepted? Thank you!!!