The Wait List

@twonotone Thank you for the advice. Although I’m hopeful, I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m hoping that out of 8 schools at least one comes through. Anyways, Thanks!

@HMom16 Thanks for your response, but of the 7 schools I applied to I got rejected by 2 and waitlisted by all the others.

@spelunking I’m sorry to hear about your BS results. But, my point was that regardless of where you will be attending, try to make the best of it - have fun, study, get involved in things you enjoy.

@HMom16 Thank you, I am sure even at a public school you can achieve the same things, and I will be able to push myself more!

@wheretogo2020 - it stinks to go on the waitlist. My son was on it and got admitted so don’t lose hope. Schools think about the WL differently. Some use it as a tool to reject more softly or more politically or because they like you but aid got in the way. In Thacher’s case, the WL is always small. People are only put on it who the school thinks would make excellent additions. Hang in there; good things can happen.

1 Like

Hey! It should be in the email or whatever was sent regarding the results.

I got waitlisted at almost all my schools :confused:

@wheretogo2020 My D who is a Senior at Cate was WL at both Cate and Thacher and notified of her Cate acceptance around 4/8 that year. I don’t know about Thacher last year, but Cate was very over-enrolled in 17-18 so they most likely admitted far fewer students this year than last year. However, with some of the Thomas Fire and mudslides in SB and Ojai, it might be difficult for the admissions offices at both schools to determine whether those natural disasters will have any impact on yield this year. This was a very peculiar year for both schools.

Yeah it should be included in the letter. If not, wait a week or two and then call to affirm your interest. Good luck!

I’m pretty sure that if you go back to the GoChoate portal, there is a section just above the checklist for confirming/denying a spot on their waitlist

I got into Peddie, but have waitlists from Groton and Exeter. Any tips on how I should approach the waitlist process?

Just wondering… does anyone know how big waitlists are for each school?
(I got WLd at Andover, Exeter, St. Paul’s and Choate)

Also, is it less likely to get off the waitlist if you’re an FA applicant?

I’ve heard that this year was one most of the most competitive for all boarding schools in ten schools… waitlists are sometimes larger than the acceptance pools… They are looking to replace missing gaps in the acceptance pool so it looks haphazard… They told us most they’ve accepted at other school was 3-4 from the pool if any. Hope this helps! Good luck!

@22louisl I can’t say this enough. Love the school that loves you. There is a reason you were accepted to @Totorocinnamon03 yes, FA makes it more difficult. Please read the older posts of this thread. There’s a reason it is so long. Many many people (including myself) have been in the same positions as y’all are now. The wisdom you seek has already been written…if you’ll just go back and read it.

The waitlists contains many many more applicants than there will be openings. Other than that, nobody here can quantify. As has been said ad nauseam, if you have other acceptances, love the school that loves you back, as the chances of getting off a waitlist are small.

So I got waitlisted to Choate, should I call them that I want to stay on the list? Or should I email them? What exactly do I have to do because many people have been saying that I have to reach out to the school so they don’t take me off the list.

Exeter’s waitlist email said that I should notify that I would be staying on the waitlist through phone or email. Is one more effective than the other? Also, if I were to send an email, would it be a good idea to try to gather as many recent accomplishments as possible and mention them? Or should I update in a later email?

Thank you!

I have already seen this discussion previously but I wanted to ask more questions personally. The admissions had released their decisions, and I was slightly disappointed to find out that I got waitlisted at my number one choice: Exeter. I am really desperate and very willing to go to PEA and I really hope that I can get some advice here. Firstly, how big are the waiting lists? I heard that size varies every year, but what would be the average-ish size? Also, what are a few steps I can take in order to write a good update letter showing my interest?

Blair leaves room to write some comments, when accepting the waitlist spot. Anyone know what they’re looking for? Is this the spot to say it’s our first choice? Or to say, since we met, I have accomplished xxxxx?