These people on this site are soo racist.

<p>

Which post didn’t you want me to respond to and if you didn’t want a response why are you asking about it?</p>

<p>My mandate was to review each applicant as an individual, based on his/her own merits- without regard to race/ethnicity or regionalism. “Merit” includes more than curriculum and stats alone. ECs are evidence of engagement and impact- and chances a kid will engage on campus. LoRs tell how an adult, an experienced educator, views the kid. Essays tell a huge amount about the kid’s judgment, writing ability and thinking skills. All those constitute “merit.” IME, when we say some admit had lower stats, it’s only one part of the picture- and, you’d be surprised how high those stats still are. You’d also be surprised at how many top-performing kids of any background mess up their chances with poorly done CAs. (No matter what praise other hs kids gave them on chance-me threads.)</p>

<p>This thread opened a view of what minorities do face in this country. People willing to admit some get ahead on merit, but only in the context of a “gimmie” somewhere along the line. Each of us might benefit from examining our assumptions for evidence of prejudice. Anyone who wants to continue the convo can pm me- but I am not interested in arguing aimlessly about “percieved” advantages to sub-par kids.</p>

<p>

Agreed.

Agree…again.</p>

<p>That said…how much does AA increase an applicants chances to be accepted at both Ivy League schools and non Ivy league schools. That is the question. Some feel not much others think quite a bit more than factors such as IS/OOS and legacies. </p>

<p>

Absolutely…particularly an issue like AA.</p>

<p>Lol at the irony of the OP’s post. Lumping everyone on the site in one sweeping generalization. Just too funny.</p>

<p>Anyways, it seems like there are a couple arguments here. 1) AA doesn’t help that much. 2) URM’s who get admitted to just as well in college as anyone else 3) Athletes are given unfair advantages too 4) AA alone isn’t the reason minorities get into college 5) URM’s are milking AA</p>

<p>1) I don’t know about you, but it seems like a ~300 point equivalent of a boost in SAT scores is quite a lot (if you’re black). Additionally, black acceptances into top colleges would fall by almost 2/3, and hispanic acceptances by half. Trust me, that is a lot.
2) Actually, URM’s do worse. Black and latino students have the biggest gap between their estimated performance in school and what they actually achieve.
3) Athletes work hard and/or have a talent for what they do. Just like musicians who have put in countless hours in training and practice. Plus, sports leads to increased exposure for a school and make money. I don’t know any minorities who have to work hard to be a minority, or have a specific talent for minority qualities.
4) True, but it definitely plays a part.
5) Disagree. I mean if I was a minority, I would definitely use it to my advantage. You’ve got to take every opportunity possible to you.</p>

<p>

Nor would it seem are you interested in sharing some of the numbers that a person “involved with admissions for an Ivy” would have access. No one is contending that there are no other factors bedsides AA in how Ivies and non-Ivies select which applicants to offer admission The question is how much does AA increase an applicants chances to be accepted at both Ivy League schools and non Ivy league schools.</p>

<p>

Who said that? I fully believe that some URMs do get ahead on merit without a “gimmie” somewhere along the line. Unfortunately that achievement is often perceived as a side effect of a special AA “gimmie” because so many other less meritorious students do receive an undeserved AA"gimmie" when applying to college.</p>

<p>

After taking advantage (milking/exploiting) of every opportunity available to you would you then deny that you actually needed it or that it provided that much of a boost?</p>

<p>What do you want, aglages? For all of us to admit you alone know it all? That you sense what we don’t?</p>

<p>aglages. Because I find it funny that you attack everyone else’s post but mine, which counteracts your argument. </p>

<p>I’ll chime in, what DO you want?
Why do you partake in EVERY thread that had to do with race in admissions? Does it excite you or something? If you’re an adult like it’s claimed, shouldn’t you know better not to pick arguments with teenagers? Shouldn’t you have something better to do?</p>

<p>Seriously aglages, I’m curious as to what you hope to gain, with the same post after post. I mean I understand posting your opinion once or twice. But every time AA comes up, I can almost guarantee to see a post from you saying the same thing.</p>

<p>So there’s something new to talk about. What do you hope to gain, aglages?</p>